What's new

Helping A Badger Brush Become Softer?

WOW! THANKS for the generous advice!
I have a RR Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic brush in the mail.
Out of curiosity, I am soaking the Simpson in a coconut moisturizing hair conditioner and warm water to see what happens. I am hoping time using the brush will also reduce a bit of the scratchy feel. Tomorrow I'll report the results of using the conditioner.

I think your problem will be definitively solved, sir. Do not soak any brush in hot water. Just warm enough that you can tolerate yourself. This is valid for the synthetic too.

As for your Simpson adventure, i will tell you a story, because i am Burundian. I hope you know where Burundi is. Suppose you are a Burundian of heavy physical constitution and you find yourself in a high society neighbourhood. Your belly is making strange noises, you feel a void in your stomach and you want desperately to sink your teeth into something with substance. You ask a newspaper stand if there is a restaurant nearby and he tells you "sure, there is the molecular gastronomy right in the corner". You don't really understand what molecular gastronomy is, but you rush to the restaurant with an ever growing appetite. You sit and you realize it is really a high quality restaurant. The tablecloth is fine linen, the menus are classy. You 'd really just want a steak with potatoes, but the dishes in the menu look much more complex.

The well dressed waiter approaches you and you start ordering. You grin and you order the seared duck breast with cherries and jus. The waiter suggests Pinot Noir as wine and asks if you prefer the 2010 or 2011 vintage... While you get always more impatient, you smile and reply confidently: "The 2011 of course! It was a particularly sunny year in Burgundy that year. I happened to be in Auxerre that year, so i remember clearly". After all, you don't want to pass as a savage Burundian! The waiter seems impressed and replies "excellent choice, sir!". Long story shorts, the dish arrives, the waiter unveils the dish, which is covered by a cloud of fumes. You can't understand why your dish seems like a volcano in eruption, but you smile and the waiter leaves. You wave your hand over the dish to clear the smoke and your heart sinks. The dish consists of 3 cherrys, 2 cuts of meat the size of a big coin and then it splattered with small, perfectly round stains of red jus and one big splash that is going diagonally across the plate. You don't know if you should eat or photograph it for an art exhibition. You devour it in 5 seconds and you think that this seemed just like a second appetizer...But it was the main dish... Long story short, you call for the bill, you make the compliments to chef, the waiter nods gracefully, you leave the restaurant call a taxi and tell the taxi driver: "Get me to the nearest steakhouse". You arrive, big hot steaks, thick like a man's thumb are sizzling over coal. You order steak with potatoes and a big beer. You happily burp and pay the much smaller bill, while the waitress says "hope you liked it". You reply "i wish i had known you earlier".

Or, as another example, your high society friend, calls you to a modern art expedition. You dress up and go. The artist is most acclaimed! You look at a painting and you see an eye, some spheres, a road and some squares. You look at the name of the painting and surprisingly it is called "Nymph bathing in the river". A well dressed gentleman comes next to you and comments "she is astonishing, isn't she?". You gather all your force to try to hide your surprise and you reply with calm "truly, look at the reflection of the light in her eyes! Look how the sunlight plays along her hair! The hand of a master! Only Rembrandt could make such a light play!". After all, you don't want to pass like the savage Burundian, do you! The gentleman stares in awe and replies "My God, you are right! I hadn't noticed!" And goes a bit further and tells another one to come look at the masterful light game of the painting.

What i mean is this. Modern art or duck breast, isn't for everyone. Dear sir, i am afraid you wanted to buy this brush (When Aliexpress has sales, it costs about 20 euros):

No need for conditioner, no drama. Because it just bends more by construction. Higher loft, less dense = softer. Certainly, it's chinese and cheap. So no duck breast for you...

But instead you bought the Simpson. Mistakes happen. The brush in the video doesn't scratch and it BENDS easily, because it has HIGHER loft. It is that simple. Certainly, it doesn't come with the prestige of the Simpson. If you want a prestigious brand to your liking, i suggest you buy a Muhle silvertip. It will be much to your liking and you will be able to show it off with great pride, since it will cost you as much as a Simpson.

But the synthetic will also serve you very well. Happy shaves!

Well.......Yesterday I soaked the Simpson brush in a coconut hair conditioner and warm water. After 20 minutes, I rinsed it, shook it out and boy was it soft when I brushed it against my arm. This morning I used Proraso Pre Shave, mixed a good lather in a mug and enjoyed a great shave. Applying the lather in a painting motion actually felt good and I didn't have any prickly/scratchy feeling after I was through. I will enjoy this brush but I also look forward to the synthetic brush coming in the mail.
BTW, I received a RR HAWK V2 single edge razor in the mail today. This will be my first injector razor since the early 70s!

Well.......Yesterday I soaked the Simpson brush in a coconut hair conditioner and warm water. After 20 minutes, I rinsed it, shook it out and boy was it soft when I brushed it against my arm. This morning I used Proraso Pre Shave, mixed a good lather in a mug and enjoyed a great shave. Applying the lather in a painting motion actually felt good and I didn't have any prickly/scratchy feeling after I was through. I will enjoy this brush but I also look forward to the synthetic brush coming in the mail.
BTW, I received a RR HAWK V2 single edge razor in the mail today. This will be my first injector razor since the early 70s!

Well sir, i am happy for you! Your avatar did hint that you would like molecular gastronomy and duck breast after all! :lol1: Better this way, at least you don't lose your investment. With the synthetic, you will have to adapt a bit. The synthetic doesn't hold the water like a badger. You can soak it for 1 minute if you wish, but before using it, give it a good shake to lose the water. Otherwise the water will pour down on you when you face lather. With the synthetic you need to add few drops of water when needed. Otherwise the performance is stellar. Happy shaves, sir!

First off, please don’t try chemical treatment at home . You can always sell a brush on BST. If it’s been bleached it’s just expensive junk.

My experience has been that the better the hair grade the more important the breakin is to develop the best qualities of the brush. This makes some sense since chemical treatments breakdown the structure of the bristles and usually soften them. Top grades are usually just better hair and less treated.

My Declaration B3 took about 30-40 good latherings before it really showed its best qualities. Simpson super or Manchurian is similar. You can just keep lathering and rinsing and maybe run a few with of hair conditioner as well.

If it still seems too rough, sell it. Most Brad Sears brushes I’ve tried were gel tipped (I.e. treated). They are butter soft. Not my thing at all but many people like them.

I had a few brushes that were kind of stiff but I have a towel with a raised pattern on it that after using the brush I would dry the brush by rubbing it back and forth on the pattern and it helped soften up the tips... It seems to speed up breaking in.. I guess the pattern on the towel edge is just rough enough to help....

I still fail to see how you can break in a badger...
Yes you can defunk it, bloom it, palm lather it to get loose hair and oil out but the ends don‘t split like boar.
What is happening to badger hair whilst breaking in?
Good point....

Nothing I have never seen a badger break in mine is the same now as when I bought them.
I Skim read and kept seeing about boar , you're right my tip was for boar and not badger... Sorry I shouldn't have skim read .

Yes you can defunk it, bloom it, palm lather it to get loose hair and oil out but the ends don‘t split like boar.

After a while, I think the tips start to break and curl...at least, a lot of my badgers that've seen a lot of use have gotten softer and gotten at least some curled tips. I think the whole "gelling" treatment is just prematurely aging a brush, not doing anything that years of use wouldn't do to it anyway.

Would you say your Simpson Pures have softened up over time? I think mine have and it's easier to recognize with a coarse brush than a finer 3-band knot. What is happening I won't even pretend to know. It's not split ends as you mentioned for boar.

Would you say your Simpson Pures have softened up over time? I think mine have and it's easier to recognize with a coarse brush than a finer 3-band knot. What is happening I won't even pretend to know. It's not split ends as you mentioned for boar.
I have too few shaves on these two brushes to say (~5). The Eagle G3 is out of the box more pleasant than the Special S1 but I attribute this rather to loft height/density than to any breaking in.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
After a while, I think the tips start to break and curl...at least, a lot of my badgers that've seen a lot of use have gotten softer and gotten at least some curled tips. I think the whole "gelling" treatment is just prematurely aging a brush, not doing anything that years of use wouldn't do to it anyway.
I have used some pretty old brushes in my time and some have been very soft indeed, too soft for me. None have had the same qualities as the only gelled modern knot I have used which was a Paladin. When dry the Paladin knot was crunchy with clumped together tips. When it was wet the knot was extremely soft, but felt sticky and slimy, the hairs performed like a single giant hair with little splay and zero scrub or face feel. I really did not like it and for me it was the biggest disappointment I have had in shaving. That said, I agree that badger knots can soften over time, some of the backbone can be lost leading to more splay and the knot can loosen a little, at least that is what I have experienced.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It takes years of frequent use, but yes, Pure badger does soften and become significantly less scritchy and pokey with use. The ends of the hairs don't look any different, however, at least to the naked eye. Perhaps with a microscope you might be able to see that the tips have become more rounded than sharp or pointy? I don't know.

I will continue to use the Simpson brush as is! Today I received and used the new RR synthetic and it has a softer touch on my face. I will give the Simpson more time to "break-in"
Thanks again for the advice.

I am glad you like it, sir! Once you get the hang of it of how it works (less starting water than natural hair), you will see that it also lathers quicker and better... At least this has always been my impression with the plissoft knot against any badger i have. Steaks and potatoes are always a good bet!

Interesting theory indeed, sir. I will have to keep it in mind and inspect the tips periodically. The gelling, i think tries to destroy the keratine at the edge of the tips. Much like melting the tip, i would imagine. The keratine is what makes the hair tough. The softness, i think, might also become more evident according to how you use the brush. I have seen gentlemen in youtube that literally crush the brush on their face. Even dense brushes like chubbies, who are described as "wall of badger". Well, i have see gentlemen who literally destroy the wall. Inevitably, the knot will further splay and the hair at the base of the knot will suffer structural damage and bend permanently. This will reduce the effective density of the brush and it will make it feel softer. I also splay my brushes, but i splay the upper part, not all the way to the handle.

I sincerely hope that they do become softer, sir! I do have pure badgers as well as higher badgers. To me the difference is always obvious, but i have long rotation times, so who knows.

It takes years of frequent use, but yes, Pure badger does soften and become significantly less scritchy and pokey with use. The ends of the hairs don't look any different, however, at least to the naked eye. Perhaps with a microscope you might be able to see that the tips have become more rounded than sharp or pointy? I don't know.

Ah, something like natural attrition against sandpaper? Interesting! This might actually hold truth! Your face eventually levigates the tips! It seems plausible! Of course, another explanation comes to my mind in a process that last years. Is it the tips that got smoother or your skin that got harder and doesn't feel the sharp tips so much any more? Because, i am afraid, i think that 5 years ago my skin was softer and 10 years ago it was even softer. :ninja: But, let us not be pessimists! I like better the idea that it is the badger that aged and not my face! :ihih:

Top Bottom