What's new

Helping A Badger Brush Become Softer?

Hey Guys,
I recently purchased a Simpson Emperor Super Badger Brush. It is an excellent product.
I have sensitive 66 year old skin. When I mix lather in a mug and apply on my face with a back and forth painting motion. I still get a "scratchy" feeling when applying the lather. My question is can I do some type of break-in procedures that will make the tip bristles become "softer" or less scratchy? Thanks.

Hey Guys,
I recently purchased a Simpson Emperor Super Badger Brush. It is an excellent product.
I have sensitive 66 year old skin. When I mix lather in a mug and apply on my face with a back and forth painting motion. I still get a "scratchy" feeling when applying the lather. My question is can I do some type of break-in procedures that will make the tip bristles become "softer" or less scratchy? Thanks.
Does it feel like single hairs are poking or is the whole surface scratchy?

What I would like, is for the bottom fourth of the bristles to be softer and more flexible. I don't think a few individual hairs are the problem.

I was afraid you would say that, sir... High backbone. I don't own Simpson super, but i have best and their backbone is above average. The brush will open up somewhat with use, but the high backbone is probably a Simpson characteristic. Might i suggest a Yaqi silvertip for much less backbone (and much cheaper) or a Yaqi plissoft or Timberwolf synthetic? Also synthetic cashmere knots should have low backbone. Such synthetics also have 0 scratch and they cost a fraction of what you paid. There are also Razorock plissoft knots that you can find easily in America. Like Razorock Bruce or Big Bruce.If you face lather, grab one of these. They are very comfortable and soft like velvet. You also have other shops that probably sell these synthetics, but i am not American. They are soft like feathers and they don't have too much backbone. Of course they feel somewhat plasticky, but you will have 0 skin issues.

Hey Guys,

I may suggest you to prepare your lather in bowl and apply to your skin afterwards. By using this way you may keep up using your Simpson.

As a second point, would you please make sure that you hydrated your brush enough time. May be giving some more minutes hydrating your brush will help you.

I was complaining the same about my Thater 4125/0 Two band brush, but I kept using it and with the time the scratchyness gone and the backbone still here.

I’ve had this happen before too. Skin got dry and irritated. Hard water didn’t help.

In addition to bowl lathering, I’d also suggest using Proraso pre-shave. For me, taking the time to work it in before bringing brush to face seems to help, especially when my skin is dry. I suspect your brush may get a little softer with time, but I’m not an expert to say with certainty.

The Simpson brushes when reading the specifications, have a characteristic: Short loft and high density. This results in high backbone. Something not appreciated by everyone. I say Semogue boars are the most badger-like boars and Simpson badgers the most boar-like badgers... I have a Simpson pure, a best and a Vulfix Grosvenor 404 bodger. If i had to keep only one, i would keep the Vulfix. Exactly because it is floppier.

I think Badgers are what they are from the get go. It should be uber soft from beginning to end.
If its scritchy then its just a scritchy brush. They don't really change much in use after the first couple times.
Only a different brush will feel different.

WOW! THANKS for the generous advice!
I have a RR Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic brush in the mail.
Out of curiosity, I am soaking the Simpson in a coconut moisturizing hair conditioner and warm water to see what happens. I am hoping time using the brush will also reduce a bit of the scratchy feel. Tomorrow I'll report the results of using the conditioner.

What I would like, is for the bottom fourth of the bristles to be softer and more flexible. I don't think a few individual hairs are the problem.
This sounds more like scrub than scritch which is uncommon for Simpsons Super Grade. Most peoples complains are that it is too soft.
I don’t think you can change the characteristics but you can sell it to someone you is looking for such a brush.
Maybe @Owen Bawn or @Eclipse Red Ring can tell you about other suitable candidates but Super is in essence the softest grade from Simpson.

Welcome to B&B, Sir tjsgarden!
Simpson brushes are great quality; ypu made an excellent choice.
Each of mine is a superb performer.
I've no qualm that, after a short break-in, yours will delight with many shaves!!

simpson brushes 2019.jpg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
The only thing I can think of is have hot to warm tap water and let them soak for at least 3-4 minute's and see if that helps if you have not tried that already. Could also wash brush with hair shampoo and then use conditioner to soften whiskers up.
You said it before I could. I totally agree.

Top Bottom