What's new

Helping A Badger Brush Become Softer?

interesting that sandpaper was mentioned. I have a black badger knotted brush. Black is cut on the tips to shape the knot. It’s very scratchy when new. I spent 15-20 minutes whirling the tips around on 400 grit silicon carbide paper. This made the brush much softer at the tips. I haven’t looked at the magnified tips but I like to imagine that the spiky ends are now slightly rounded.

Of course, this method would ruin a high quality knot where the art is to have natural tips presented in a smooth fan or bulb knot.

interesting that sandpaper was mentioned. I have a black badger knotted brush. Black is cut on the tips to shape the knot. It’s very scratchy when new. I spent 15-20 minutes whirling the tips around on 400 grit silicon carbide paper. This made the brush much softer at the tips. I haven’t looked at the magnified tips but I like to imagine that the spiky ends are now slightly rounded.

Of course, this method would ruin a high quality knot where the art is to have natural tips presented in a smooth fan or bulb knot.

I have pure badgers...You don't suppose that i should sandpaper one of them... On the other hand 20 minutes of rubbing in against a sandpaper isn't very appealing. But you never know! I might do it one day!

Try if you want, but the one I tried with didn't make any difference. I pulled the knot out and replaced it with a High Mountain knot and never looked back.

I am in no hurry to try, but you never know... I am accustomed to pure badgers, they don't create me any skin issues like i have read to other people. Someone who was born under the tropical African sun, has a very resilient skin, i assure you! :laugh: I see them as a way to have badger variety. If i shave everyday with silvertip, i will get bored of it.

Is there anything that can be done if instead it is the first case ("like single hairs are pocking")?
If it is a single one (upside down with the root poking you) isolate it and cut it from the knot as deep as you can. Happened to me with a Zenith Manchurian. If there are more than one than you have to learn to love it… Which brush is the culprit?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know some people are confident that badgers are the way they are at first use. I don't have any 3 band silvertips. All my badgers are either "high mountain" two-bands (SV and Zenith) or ShaveMac Two-band Silvertips. All of them got or are getting better after using them. The SV's peaked at around 12 uses. I'm up to 4 uses on the brushes Rudy reknotted for me... and they are improving with each use. Not night and day improvements... small, but identifiable, incremental changes. They get just a bit softer, but still retain that gentle scrub I enjoy in a brush.

Top Bottom