What's new

Help to ID etching on razor.

Hi all,
Just working on few straights right now and dug up my box of surprises to pick up something from there.

Have a nice straight in good condition with Hamburg Ring etched on face and I know this was quite common but then on the shank there's logo that looks like a lady carrying something on her head and on the other side there's word "Eros" or maybe "Emos".
Does anyone know who the manufacturer of these were or rough timeframe?

Attachments

• IMG20220123131910.jpg
    IMG20220123131910.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG20220123131944.jpg
    IMG20220123131944.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG20220123131927.jpg
    IMG20220123131927.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Nice find, it’s

Emos by Emil Morsbach

With “Washerwoman”
Oh fantastic. Thanks for reply.
I'm a bit torn between letting this go and keeping it to be honest. Most projects are leaving as soon as they're finished but this feels pretty good in hand.

For further discussion based off a different thread on razor widths, can you share more about the feel? Is it the weight, the edge, the shank size?
This is a very good question actually. Didn't think about it. It just felt comfortable in hand.

This one is a bit lighter than my usual Dovo and Crown and Sword Ern 1166 (this one is really heavy) and normally I'd steer towards heavier razors but this seems to be well balanced with pivot in right spot. Scales on smaller side - long but thin and narrow (again - quite petit compared to chunky Ern scales).

I think it's long scales, light razor and good balance (pivot pin in perfect spot) that makes it comfortable to hold.

I'm honestly thinking about letting Ern go and keeping this instead to have something lighter in my rota.

Last edited:
I think scale design isn’t discussed enough in what makes a razor great. Not so much the aesthetics, but everything else.

I really dislike honing, stropping blades with “off” feeling scales. Rather have ugly scales than poor fit.

I think scale design isn’t discussed enough in what makes a razor great. Not so much the aesthetics, but everything else.

I really dislike honing, stropping blades with “off” feeling scales. Rather have ugly scales than poor fit.
This is true. My two favourite razors both have celluloid scales (black so no this yellowish colour to them but still just celluloid). Crown and Blade have this really chunky heavy scales but razor is also heavy and wide so they compliment each other well. When razor is small but has heavy wooden or bone scales it makes stropping or even navigating on face a real chore.

Top Bottom