What's new

Help rate these blades (mild/aggressive).

Hello,

I am new to safety razor shaving and unfortunately where I am (South Africa) we have very few options in store to try.

We have...

BIC Chrome Platinum
Supermax Super Stainless (green pack)

And then two local blades which may be rebranded blades but I can't confirm what they may actually be.

A local online retailer sells 100/120 blade packs but I don't want to buy such large quantities and then hate the blades. So I am trying to narrow it down.

My razor is an Eclipse Red Ring and I have fairly sensitive skin. So I am looking for a good match for razor and skin.

The options for sale online are...

01. Schick Triple Coated (May be Wilkinson Sword in other regions).
02. Voskhod.
03. Dorco ST-300.
04. SuperMax Blue Diamond.
05. Zorrik Super Platinum.
06. Gillette Minora Stainless Steel (Yellow pack).

FYI I have tried the BIC and found them too sharp/harsh whatever it may be for me.

Thanks!

I recommend searching this forum for people's experiences with different blades. Like and dislike of particular blades seems to be very subjective. For example, a lot of people really dislike the Dorco ST300 blades but they work fine for me. I have just tried a Gillette Nacet blade for the first time for my last 3 shaves and so far I am not a fan (these do not seem to be smooth at all).

Another suggestion is to try a blade sampler with a set of different blades. Try each blade for 3-4 shaves and see what you like.

The SuperMax you have available are a good medium sharpness blade, I actually choose to buy them. There are a LOT of blades in this sharpness so I would recommend trying them and then deciding if they are too sharp. That will help us narrow down options for you.

If you are dead set on ordering something, the Schicks are the only thing that I would recommend.

Last edited:
Unfortunately where I am sample packs aren't available. Otherwise I would do so.

So this is why I ask.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have had good results with your: 02, 04, and 06 of the blades you list as available to you.

I only have experience with two of your online sale options, but of all the blades I've tried I like Minoras the best. Sharp enough to cut long growth without tugging, yet very smooth. And the Voskhods were the worst. Too dull, and tugged something awful.

Voskhods are very mild to me tuggy and almost dull. Dorco is also mild, but a little sharper and better to me. The blue diamonds are probably my favorite of the bunch sharp enough but smooth haven't tried minora or the others though.

I have never used an Eclipse Red Ring razor, but it is a somewhat aggressive razor, especially if used on a setting other than the least aggressive. For someone with sensitive skin, aggressive razors are not ideal. It will definitely limit the types of blades that you will be able to use. For example, BIC Chrome Platinum blades are wonderful blades when used in a milder razor, but the Eclipse Red Ring will be too aggressive for such sharp blades.

I also have sensitive skin and one of my razors is the Muhle R41 which has a reputation for being quite aggressive. I can use the razor is I equip it with a mid sharp blade, but I do not really enjoy the shave as I have to be very careful of my shaving technique.

Although you mentioned your sensitive skin, you did not mention how coarse/tough your beard may be. If you have a tough beard, some blades might not be sharp enough for you, even in the Eclipse Red Ring.

The Schick blade sold in South Africa will be the Wilkinson Sword blade sold in Europe and NA. Gillette owns the rights to use the Wilkinson Sword trademark in Asia and Africa, so Edgewell sells the blades under their Schick brand. Although the blades are not super sharp on the first shave due to the triple coating, once the coating wear off, they become super sharp, perhaps too sharp for your razor.

Voskhod is a mid-sharp blade from Moscow. It might be a good choice. If you can get Rapira Platinum Lux, they are even better.

I have not used the Dorco ST-300 blades, but I love the Dorco STP-301 Prime Platinum blades.

The Vidyut Supermax Blue Diamond blades are good blades as well.

I have not tried the Supermax Zorrik blades or the Gillette Minora blades, so I cannot comment on those.

Top Bottom