What's new

Help me decide - 24, 26 or 28mm knot size?

So I have a badger brush now - 21-knot size EJ Best Badger, and wanna move up to a silvertip Savile Row, but I'm not sure of what size to get. I want something nice and big, so it's either gonna be a 24, 26 or 28-size knot. I know that in the end, it's personal preference, but I'd like some views from the forum as to what works, and what's too big

So, any opinions?

Also, I'm planning on buying a Dirty Bird scuttle, so any opinions on the original vs super size would be welcome as well

I would stay with 24mm..me n my wife have the same brushes..different colors..I have seen bigger ones and they look like they could lather 3 faces at once...I always wondered that..:001_smile

If you like the idea of a scuttle, you owe it to yourself to get a big ol' brush to contain all that warm lather. 26 or 28.

Anything bigger than 24mm will waist product. A 24mm knot is plenty big to hold enough lather and heat. Use the remaining $ to get other products or even another brush, maybe a quality boar.

Anything bigger than 24mm will waist product. A 24mm knot is plenty big to hold enough lather and heat. Use the remaining $ to get other products or even another brush, maybe a quality boar.

Nope - like I said in OP, I want a silvertip badger, and I'm looking at the Savile Row, since the 3824 won the Brush wars (someday, I want a Plisson HMW . . . someday). I'm not really worried about wasting product since I use Tabac tallow-based soap, so my soap tends to last a while; besides, no matter how much I run through soaps, it's still cheaper than the can of goo :)

I say get the 26mm. It will be nice and big, but is less likely to be overpowering like the 28. I like a nice big brush around 26~28mm. However most people seem to like their brushes a little smaller, its better to err on the side of caution.... well at least a little on the side of caution anyway. As for a dirty bird scuttle I had a 1.5 and it was plenty big enough for even my 30mm brushes. However if your going to get the 26 I think the original size one would make for plenty of room. The 1.5 is pretty big, and some of my smaller brushes almost felt lost in it. Your 21mm EJ seems like it would be better suited for a smaller scuttle.

Nope - like I said in OP, I want a silvertip badger, and I'm looking at the Savile Row, since the 3824 won the Brush wars (someday, I want a Plisson HMW . . . someday). I'm not really worried about wasting product since I use Tabac tallow-based soap, so my soap tends to last a while; besides, no matter how much I run through soaps, it's still cheaper than the can of goo :)

The Saville Row 3824 is a great brush; I've never read anything negative about it.

wasting product? .. i say no, enjoying it to it's full potential!! seriously what about all of the lather that goes down the drain that barely touched a whisker... barely touched skin... will we be trying to save that from the drain?

my advice, get a huge brush, enjoy the particular luxury only a large knot can bring, and for your last pass squeeze the breach and enjoy whatever's left.

I say get the 26mm. It will be nice and big, but is less likely to be overpowering like the 28. I like a nice big brush around 26~28mm. However most people seem to like their brushes a little smaller, its better to err on the side of caution.... well at least a little on the side of caution anyway. As for a dirty bird scuttle I had a 1.5 and it was plenty big enough for even my 30mm brushes. However if your going to get the 26 I think the original size one would make for plenty of room. The 1.5 is pretty big, and some of my smaller brushes almost felt lost in it. Your 21mm EJ seems like it would be better suited for a smaller scuttle.

Much appreciated :001_smile I agree with you about being cautious and getting an in-between size, but I kinda wanna go big with this one since I always have the 21 to compare to/fall back on; I plan to make this (28) brush my daily one, and I may get a 24 in a few months, but for now, I want something big, to contrast against my EJ 21-knot.

After all the responses, it seems the 28-knot is getting the most votes; I may soon be brushing my face with a new Savile Row 28-knot, but I'd still love advice from anyone who wants to lemme know what they think

Last edited:
I couldn't really offer an opinion as you didn't list 30, 32 or 34mm knots as options. But of those, I would follow Seth's advice and go with the middle of the road 32mm:lol: Really just about the perfect all around size!

Cheers,

Ken

+1 on the Savile Row 3824 - a great brush! I also have the SR 3120 which seems small when compared to the 3824, but is an excellent performer. I think the Savile Row 22 up to 28mm are all good options.

i don't think anyone can answer this for you. i got all excited about this big brush thing, got a 26mm and didn't like it at all (will be showing up on BST any day now). to me: no precision and felt like rubbing a dead animal on my face. i tried 24mm and that was also too much. 20 to 22 seems to be my range, possibly even down to 18, but it would have to be very dense.

you have to try. a frank shaving brush from china is an inexpensive way to carry out the size test. otherwise, just go for a simpson sampler pack like one of our friends did recently.

vuk.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Chubby2 at 28mm is a superb brush. My general preference is 22-24mm, but my CH2 probably gets more use than any one of the smaller ones.

The knot shape is important also, the more fan shape the 24mm may be better as a 28 fan may bloom more than you want like.

On the other hand, a 2 band with a more bulb shape at 28mm or bigger won't seem so big, especially if it has some density.

Top Bottom