What's new

Help me decide on a wild and crazy over the top Rudy Vey handle, please.

Hi Jim,

It's good to see someone else loves the Mozingo ZT4 too!! I just had a few handles sent to him for 28mm ZT4. I love this RV handle he made Doug that has a 24mm ZT4 in it. I'm not super familiar with what RV can do as I know some brush makers specialize in certain types of pours.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 9.28.31 PM.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Take a look at the one-off galleries at Wolf Whiskers for some unique eye candy brush ideas

Some are definitely great.

There's a waiting list.

He imitates Simpson brushes, so why not just buy a Simpson in a model that you want, that he imitates? Atleast you'll be getting tradition, a warranty and the classic Simpson look!

I have at least six Simpson brushes already and know their knots well enough.

You're not clued in to what I'm doing here; pardon me for not having already been clear enough. I have already ordered a Mozingo knot for which I need an empty handle. I know exactly what I'm getting in the knot. The knot I want is the Mozingo already ordered and waiting for a handle into which it will be installed.

The problem is entirely in finding the right empty handle for the knot.

There are no Simpson brushes I want. Now, if they sold some empty handles...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Rudy might get different sized blanks so I would give it a try.

I already know what Rudy has in stock in sizes large enough to make my handle. I'm trying to find examples of brushes in the materials he has available. Looking at rods doesn't help me "see" the handle.

I'm also open to handles made by other artisans, but not to a long waiting list.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just got an email a few minutes ago... Brett is shipping out my Rudy Vey handle with his 28mm ZT4 knot installed. I didn't expect it until the end of the month.... I'm trying to tamp down my enthusiasm.

Very cool, Kim. I got a similar email. Mine will ship today.

(This, the item being shipped today, is a brush previously ordered from Brett, months ago. It has a Rudy Vey real faux ivory handle with a Mozingo knot.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Plus you'll be getting higher quality.

In what way would a Simpson brush be of higher quality than a Rudy Vey handle with a Mozingo knot?

That simply doesn't compute for me. Have you tried a Mozingo knot? Do you have a Rudy Vey handle?

Sorry, but my experience with Simpson hasn't been convincing. Not that they're bad of course but their quality control leaves one guessing about what knot one will receive in my experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
In what way would a Simpson brush be of higher quality than a Rudy Vey handle with a Mozingo knot?

That simply doesn't compute for me. Have you tried a Mozingo knot? Do you have a Rudy Vey handle?

Sorry, but my experience with Simpson hasn't been convincing. Not that they're bad of course but their quality control leaves one guessing about what knot one will receive in my experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Don't worry, he is a Simpson shiller and does not understand that there are other brush maker out there. Just do not listen to him.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
What about a handle turned from a custom blend of an old, favorite shirt stabilized with resin into a homemade linen micarta?

It’s mostly seen as knife handle material, but means it can be used for pens and brushes, too

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
What about a handle turned from a custom blend of an old, favorite shirt stabilized with resin into a homemade linen micarta?

It’s mostly seen as knife handle material, but means it can be used for pens and brushes, too
Interesting idea! Never done this, but I have used shredded money in quite a few handles. I would assume cloth material might give a similar effect. I use polyester resins, I think Micarta are based on phenolic resins. Maybe mine would work.

How about a glow in the dark brush? The glow in the dark resin (?) or FRN can be had in blue, pink, orange, green, or yellow. That would be different.

Reactions: GNR

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not particular close to deciding, but I do like these two pictures of a brush Rudy made in purple haze.

1686586906485.png
1686586954920.png

As you can see, rotation changes how purple haze looks.

Here's a brush I found in purple haze for yet one more view of it.

1686587128821.png

I like the colors and I like the variation as the brush turns.

That doesn't mean I'm settled on purple haze. I'm far from settled on it. Also the handle style is up in the air. Generally I like shorter handles, but I very much like this handle...

5-10-23.Mergress.Mike's.Mozingo26mm.640.JPG

The above brush has a Mozingo knot, 26 mm, in a C&H/Roosevelt handle. The handle measures at 75 mm in height which is tall for me, but apparently not too tall. It occurred to me that I could have a Rudy Vey Polo in that size/height.

1686587713662.png
1686587743646.png

My knot, 28 mm XD, would be about the same size as the Simpson knot in the Polo 12 above.

Here are some Polo brushes Rudy made for a member. Notice the two colors in each of two of these brushes. Rudy tells me doing this sort of thing is an option for me.​
1686587863249.png

For the record, I also like shorter brushes such as the Eagle.

I've decided on nothing.

Happy shaves,

Jim

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh somebody had a yellow.. it had a "pedestal" base and then a beehive collar, that looked nice, I feel like Rudy made it, but forget. That "shredded cloth in handle" idea is neat too, I like that. Do you have anything sentimental or neat to put in one? Yaqi has one with a dice in it.. would a photo work? A chess piece? Just throwing out ideas

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I now have these two handles with Brett Mozingo for two 28mm ZT4 knots. The first one is a smokey blue with white swirls. The second is a Tiffany blue with black swirls and a blue shimmer that shows in the light.
View attachment 1669627View attachment 1669628

Where did you get these handle? They are very good looking; you have a great many beautiful handles.

My understanding is you live in a 32 foot RV. It must be simply filled with brushes!

Thanks for you input.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I always thought the beehive style handles were over the top- Rudy makes a great one. Some of the most interesting but tastefully done brush handles i've seen are from Paladin. I have seen some very strange stuff from other craftsmen.

Reactions: GNR

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I always thought the beehive style handles were over the top- Rudy makes a great one. Some of the most interesting but tastefully done brush handles i've seen are from Paladin. I have seen some very strange stuff from other craftsmen.

6-11-23.Opgress.Mike's.D01.640.JPG

This is my Rudy Vey butterscotch beehive with a D01. I like it, but it's not my favorite knot. That doesn't mean I'm not glad to have it because I am.

The knot reminds me of the Simpson Manchurian. I used one yesterday and the other today. My other Manchurians are softer than either, particularly when scrubbing. For painting the D01 is plenty soft.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom