What's new

Help Finding a New Straight

Ok, so I have been looking around at new straight razors. I currently have 3 vintage razors and thought it might be nice to try something brand new out. I am having a hard time finding something that I like though in my budget range. I would really like to not spend over $200 on a razor. I am looking for something 6/8 or bigger, the more hollow the better, and pretty much anything but round point. I guess I am kind of still in the new guy price range, so it seems like everything that I am finding is round point. I would like to purchase from a reputable company that sends them shave ready, so maybe that is what is holding me up? If I had to, I wouldn't mind sending the razor out for honing once I receive it.

I know there has to be something out there, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. The brand doesn't really matter to me. Currently I have a W&B, Boker, and generic Solingen vintage razors. The W&B and Boker are both 6/8 I believe and I use them more than the Solingen which is smaller. The W&B is more hollow ground than the Boker, and I get a better shave and less burn with it when doing multiple passes it seems. Thanks!

For just a wee bit over, you can own a very nice Jerry Stark Custom. Check the inventory on The Superior Shave. You won't be disappointed

I saw the Jerry Stark Customs and they are very nice. I was trying to be good and not go over budget! Although it seems I may have to go just a little but higher to get what I want. I will check out Revisor as well. Thanks!

Jacob Ray has something that checks all your boxes except it's quarter hollow. I ordered one but haven't received it yet so the jury is still out.

Not really too sure about some of the newer mass produced razors but definitely must add a +1 to the Jerry Stark Customs as I do own one and also to the Revisors as they are also very stunning as well. Another option for a 6/8 are some of the other custom Gold Dollar Modders out there, that should for the most part keep you under your budget. I have to say though that Jerry is an absolute pleasure to work with and he will assist you in designing exactly what you want in every aspect from grind, to material, to shape, to scales all the way down to the Pins that hold everything together. It will likely be a little over your current budget, but it will also be made to your exact specifications and also come ready to shave with right out of the gate as will some of our other fine custom designers razors here at B&B. Take a look into the Restoration and Razor Making How-To's Section and check out some of the works of art some of these talented individuals come up with, you may find something that you not only really love, but will also fit your needs and wants at the same time. If you also want to check out some of our other personally designed Jerry Stark Razors you may look HERE as well as HERE to see some of those.

The choice for a truly perfect fit for you can sometimes be a difficult one. At the same time though, once you have that "Perfect Razor" in your hands and are shaving with it you will definitely be thanking yourself for taking the time to really weigh the pro's, con's as well as costs.

All of my best wishes on your search and don't forget to check out the market place as well as often times Many Really Nice Razors along the lines of what you are looking for come up there as well.

Sincerely;
Nate

A Ralf Aust? The 6/8 in wood scales and square, french, or spanish point will all come in under your price point (I think they're $160 +/- at SRD). Fabulous razors.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Can't go wrong with a Dovo Bismarck. Revisor has some Bismarck style razors, and I have seen Bismarcks and similar Dovo razors at TSS. I reallyy like the Bismarck style.

Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate all of the suggestions. There are so many great razors out there, it is hard to choose.

Hi and welcome here.
You have got great advices from experimented shavers.
We all have stumbled against the same "problem"..! At the very end I would just suggest you to digest the information you got and chose the one you like most.

All you will need then is to send it to one of our hobbyists for perfect honing (it's very important not to ruin your journey with a rough edge) and a strop. Best case scenario would be to buy 2 razors and alternate them for some weeks ....you'll quickly see if the virus got you ....and then you'll fly with your own wings ....enlarging the range of razors.
Have fun !

Mango, the virus has already got me. I picked up 3 straights so far and upgraded my strop. I picked up some films to try my hand at honing that way when I get some time. I like having 3 on hand, so I figured a 4th might be a good idea for if/when I send another out for honing or what not. The first 3 were vintage razors from Larry, so I figure trying out some new blades might be worth while. I am going to look at all of these suggestions, though I think I am leaning toward Jerry Stark.

I agree with prc. I own two and love them. 1/4 ground and great shaves. All model with your budget. If you wait some time, harts been known to be around 200 . another great shave. Father's day is coming up. Time for razors to go on sale.

Top Bottom