What's new

Help! Debating between full hollow stainless or 1/4 grind carbon

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum but I started shaving with a DOVO INOX 4/8 stainless blade about 3 years ago. I have not bought a safety razor blade since (save for a brief experimentation with a DE razor if that counts).

I have been thinking about an upgrade for some time and I think I have now narrowed it down to a choice between two razors.

A SS 6/8 full hollow ground INOX blade made in Solingen (marked EISHARTUNG). This is not a DOVO blade but it seems to me that it comes from a reputable forge in Solingen.

Or a Carbon Steel 6/8 1/4 ground Le Grelot Blade part of the collection of blanks purchased by TI and ground in their shop in Thiers, France.

I have fairly coarse facial hair and don't generally shave every morning. I am currently sporting a beard but shave under my neck and on the high points of my cheeks. But when I do shave the beard off I usually go for it in one go with the straight razor (call me crazy but it works...you could never do that with a safety!).

Basically I can't decide whether to go with a full hollow or the 1/4 ground because I get mixed opinions when reading some of the online material as to what is better suited to a person with thick facial hair (hollow or wedge). Also I really like the durability of SS. Lastly the scales offered on the SS blade are way nicer.

Any thoughts?

But when I do shave the beard off I usually go for it in one go with the straight razor (call me crazy but it works...you could never do that with a safety!).

The only way to know for sure is to try both! :biggrin:
But you know, I'd like to try that sometime. . . take a whole beard off with one pass of a straight razor.

As I own two quarter hollow 6/8ths and a 11/16ths full hollow Le Grelot razors, I can testify they are great blades. So, the Le Grelot gets my vote.

Le Grelot quarter hollow. Its a wonderful razor. You might find razors which shave as well as it, but you will not find any that shave better.

LeGrelot 1/4 hollow. No contest. It is a very unique razor. At some later date you can always pick up a 5/8 stainless, Dovo churns them out daily (they are also very good shavers...)

+1 to the Le Grelot ... I have a rotation of about 10 razors of all types but when a Le Grelot 6/8, 3/4 full-hollow ground came around about 3 months ago, I put all the others away and haven't shaved with anything else since. I'm in love with it!

As I own two quarter hollow 6/8ths and a 11/16ths full hollow Le Grelot razors, I can testify they are great blades. So, the Le Grelot gets my vote.

Last question:

If I had to choose between a 1/4 hollow and a 3/4 hollow Le grelot (both 6/8) which would you recommend?

Joseph

Last question:

If I had to choose between a 1/4 hollow and a 3/4 hollow Le grelot (both 6/8) which would you recommend?

Joseph

I've only used the 3/4 hollow and I consider it my perfect blade. On the other hand, I've only heard good things about the 1/4 hollow. So, I say, flip a coin.

First you really can't compare the stainless with the part hollow because they feel so different you really need to test shave to compare. Its a matter of what characteristics you prefer. The light tactile feel of the full hollow or the heaviness of the part. If you go with the le grelot get the 1/4 hollow. Thats what I have.

my post may not help you any, but, FWIW I have both a 1/4 grind an a 3/4 (vintage razors) and I get a much better shave with the 1/4... I have fairly thick whiskers..

I keep trying with the 3/4 and it just wants to bite.

Top Bottom