What's new

Help Cleaning Old Gold Gillettes

Alright, I recently went crazy on eBay and bought 3 vintage Gold Gillettes. One is a ball-end Tech, and the other 2 are NEWs (one has the thick handle, the other is ball-end). So far, I have received the Tech and the thick handle New. The NEW was in pretty bad looking shape - and it still had a blade in it. I scrubbed both of these with Scrubbing Bubbles, and used a little Maas on the NEW.

The NEW is not a looker. The head piece looks to be devoid of any of its original gold plating, except for a little on the underside. After I cleaned off the grime, it revealed a brass-colored head. The comb portion is still mostly a gold color, but I can't get a lot of the green out from between the teeth. The handle is kind of a combination of gold and brash, with it being gold at the top where it screws onto the head and the gnurled portions, and brass down at the bottom smooth tip. Question: What further can I try for cleaning/polishing this? And was $10 (total, including shipping) a good price for this in this condition? I don't know that much regarding vintage Gillette prices.

The Tech is still gold, but in some places I notice that the gold color has turned darker, almost orange. Is this normal? Should I do anything other than just the Scrubbing Bubbles to this? And was $12.60 shipped a good deal for this?

I also wiped both down with alcohol swabs.

One final question. Is it kosher to make a Frankenrazor? I noticed that Gillette was kind enough to make the screw for both heads the same size, so all of the parts are interchangeable. Could I, say, put the nicer gold Tech head on the open comb and handle of the NEW? Or put the heavier ball-end handle on the NEW head and comb?

Frankenrazor??? Why not, here's "The Thing". :lol::lol::lol:

If you can show us a couple pictures it wold be easier to judge what you have and why.
The dark gold orange marks on one of your gold razor sounds like someone tried boiling it and the Laquar clear coat melted.

proxy.php

I'm at work now, so I am without camera.

So can you replate these things? If so, where would one go about doing that, and how much would it cost you. Not that I'm necessarily wanting to, but was curious.

I guess with the lacquer gone, it will still be gold, just less protected?

Yes I would say it's still gold.

As far as re plating, I know some folks have. To me, if I want a looker then I find one. If I'm shaving with it than it's not such a big deal although I still like them to look good.
I have heard that it is a bit expensive to have done and the do-it-yourself kits are on the pricy side as well.

I would not bother IMHO, it's just not worth it.

My gold ball-end tech came with some burnt orange areas on it, especiall the indented rings around the ball. I boiled the razor in a half/half solution of vinegar and water for 10-15 min, then scrubbed it with a lathering cleaner (basicall dish soap). I then repeated the process 2 more times. I used both a nail brush and a kitchen sponge (with the mildly abrasive green layer on it). At one point, I believe I tossed some baking soda onto the sponge to help with the scrubbing. I'm happy to let you know that the burnt orange came off and there was gold underneith.

My gold ball-end tech came with some burnt orange areas on it, especiall the indented rings around the ball. I boiled the razor in a half/half solution of vinegar and water for 10-15 min, then scrubbed it with a lathering cleaner (basicall dish soap). I then repeated the process 2 more times. I used both a nail brush and a kitchen sponge (with the mildly abrasive green layer on it). At one point, I believe I tossed some baking soda onto the sponge to help with the scrubbing. I'm happy to let you know that the burnt orange came off and there was gold underneith.

That is exactly what mine is like. It is mostly down around the ball. There is also a bit under the head. In other places, it just looks like the lacquer is coming off, so there is a more minor difference in color. So does that mean that your process basically just removed the lacquer? Maybe I will try that. I don't think removing all of the lacquer would look as bad as partially removed lacquer. Any thoughts?

Now I need to try and identify the years on these.

Top Bottom