What's new

Help / Advice (merkur futur - derby blades)

Hi Im new to DE shaving, previosly using cartridge i could get a smooth finish all over, I dont get much growth as i shave before it gets to 0.5cm and its not dense

So far im...

Face wash, rinse multiple times
Cremo as a pre shave
Taylor of old bod street cream with Edwin Jagger brush

First time i used razor settings 3 WTG - 2 XTG - 1 ATG this some times felt like it was digging in, Face fairly smooth, odd little nick
Second shave 3 WTG - 2 XTG - 1 ATG this some times felt like it was digging in, Face smooth
Third shave 5 WTG - 3 XTG - 1 ATG this some times felt like it was digging in but not as much

Alum on face
rinse
Moisturiser or aftershave balm

So im at point now where my face is perfectly smooth, but neck wise feels a tad rough on the sides, which will be down to dailing my technique in

Ive not yet tried any other blades, but are the derbys not sharpe enough when going ATG and thats why they feel like they dig in and i dont want to pull on the razor

only other blade i have is the merkur

just after any tips on what to try next, Ive read soo many post on forums, and most just end up coming down to personal preference as everybodys face and skin is different

I think you summed it up in your last line. Personal preference.
I love using my Futur with Derby Premium on 1.5-2.5 setting.
You could try some Personna USA, Personna Platinum, Permasharp, etc.
The Merkur blade worked well, the Dovo too. Dovo worked so well I sprung for 100.

Well im unsure in UK where sells decent sample packs, so if anyone know wheres best please advise

The Derby ones i have are jut the EXTRA < Part reason I went for these for sake of £5 if i didnt like em there cheap, but other websites seem to sell some brands you`ve mentioned where you can buy 5-10, but then dont sell otheres there on another site, but then also charge delivery on each site bumping cost up

its like with cartridge i could go ATG on top lip to nose, but the DE blade proper feels like its hit s stop and is going to dig and cut, XTG its fine

Well im unsure in UK where sells decent sample packs, so if anyone know wheres best please advise

The Derby ones i have are jut the EXTRA < Part reason I went for these for sake of £5 if i didnt like em there cheap, but other websites seem to sell some brands you`ve mentioned where you can buy 5-10, but then dont sell otheres there on another site, but then also charge delivery on each site bumping cost up

its like with cartridge i could go ATG on top lip to nose, but the DE blade proper feels like its hit s stop and is going to dig and cut, XTG its fine

Razor blades club. Sample packs, flips, $4 shipping everywhere.

Welcome to B and B!

Digging into the face sounds like too much pressure to me or blade choice. I used to much pressure when I moved from carts to De razors. As others have said try different blades. Since you are new to DE you may want to try a few fixed setting shaves on 3 or pick your number. I would recommend Astra green blades as a solid next blade chooice it was the first blade I tried and is a good middle of the road good performer. Just my 2 cents! Happy shaving!

Last edited:
Welcome to B and B!

Digging into the face sounds like too much pressure to me or blade choice. I used to much pressure when I moved from carts to De razors. As others have said try different blades. Since you are new to DE you may want to try a few fixed setting shaves on 3 or pick your number. I would recommend Astra green blades as a solid next blade chooice it was the first blade I tried and is a good middle of the road good performer. Just my 2 cents! Happy shaving!

I wont deny pressure could be one thing contributing to it, as going WTG the weight of the razor does all the work, but ATG the razor is upside down and gravity is pulling it away. So i do try and just lightly apply pressure

Welcome aboard!

Some great advice above, especially the recommendation you try a blade sampler pack!

Yeah its my first, and it seems fine just odd part im not getting perfectly smooth, So no real fault with razor, despite some saying its not for newbies

Got a pack due with these, its just in what order to then try them

Astra SP
Derby Premium
Dorco Titan
Feathers
Gillette Silver Blue
Personna Platinum
Shark Super Stainless
Super Shave X Platinum
Tiger Superior
Wilkinson Sword DE

Yeah its my first, and it seems fine just odd part im not getting perfectly smooth, So no real fault with razor, despite some saying its not for newbies

Got a pack due with these, its just in what order to then try them

Astra SP
Derby Premium
Dorco Titan
Feathers
Gillette Silver Blue
Personna Platinum
Shark Super Stainless
Super Shave X Platinum
Tiger Superior
Wilkinson Sword DE
I didn't say there is a fault in the razor. I have 4 Futurs. What I tried to covey was it is not a good choice for a first DE.

Do try all the blades in that pack. Sometimes 10 blades is not enough to find the perfect one for you.

Sorry what I meant was, The razor is great and its me thats at fault as in my technique isnt quite right

Im quite happy with the results so far and not really any cuts, first time i was probably over cautious.

Theres just odd bit where i cant seem to get perfectly smooth, no visable growth left behind, so above lip and either side of neck where it dips

As for which blades to try i didnt want to jump straight onto a Feather etc

I’m sure that trying a sample pack has been recommended and you’ve probably read that a million times!

I’m an oddball, Astra SP’s don’t jive with my skin but here are a few “sharp enough and smooth” that fit my courser hair:

Voskhod
Personna Platinum
Lord Platinum
Treet Platinum

I would wager that none of those are going to rip you up! Also… if you were looking to go for a simple set up that would pair well with yours, may I also suggest a Razorock Gamechanger .68. Nice mild bar and very high quality for not a lot of money. I’ve found that starting out, I keep moving back towards that particular razor because it allows me to try different blades, soaps, pre/post methods and learn. It really is a neat little razor and Razorock is regarded by many as a good value and a fantastic razor!

Cheers to you and welcome to B&B :)

Ok so tried the Astra SP

3 WTG - 2 XTG - 1 ATG

Quite close shave but need to try 5 WTG - 3 XTG - 1 ATG

As minute its still top lip, withe Derby Extras i could never go ATG here, with Astra SP I cant if i try say do middle to one side as one length, but i can work from outer side each time getting closer to middle, but if it try too much at once it feels like yer tugging and going to dig in.

So guessing that means the hairs around there are more dense? so would need a sharper blade?

Still no cuts So quite happy with that, I read some where that people do the opposite when it comes the settings so 1 WTG - 3 XTG - 5 ATG

I dont have long hair to cut through (1mm - 5mm) when i have a shave but it does seem to feel smoother on a more aggressive setting

Welcome aboard, @cah1982!

Although I'm in the US, I agree with the recommendation of Connaught Shaving. I'm a very satisfied customer!

I'm relatively new to wet shaving, about 2 years. I've only recently, in the last couple of months, feel like my technique is coming together to a point I get a good result most of the time. Experience is your friend and that takes a bit of time and practice.

I've not used the Future, but have you experimented at all with changing the angle? Early on, I found that "riding the cap"...meaning to set the razor on its cap and rotate the blade until it starts cutting. Just an idea of something you can experiment with.

Good luck on your journey!

well i`ll give the astra blades another try (3 in total) but yesterday was close, but got some irritations on neck

5 WTG - 5 XTG - 5 XTG (other direction) - 3 ATG - 1 ATG top lip

All round felt smooth after but my neck under jaw, no matter how many times i go over it still hear feedback as if theres hair left tries on 5 setting

after i wash and after shave it feels smooth and not feel of hair left

I’m sure that trying a sample pack has been recommended and you’ve probably read that a million times!

I’m an oddball, Astra SP’s don’t jive with my skin but here are a few “sharp enough and smooth” that fit my courser hair:

Voskhod
Personna Platinum
Lord Platinum
Treet Platinum

I would wager that none of those are going to rip you up! Also… if you were looking to go for a simple set up that would pair well with yours, may I also suggest a Razorock Gamechanger .68. Nice mild bar and very high quality for not a lot of money. I’ve found that starting out, I keep moving back towards that particular razor because it allows me to try different blades, soaps, pre/post methods and learn. It really is a neat little razor and Razorock is regarded by many as a good value and a fantastic razor!

Cheers to you and welcome to B&B :)
Given my happy recent experience with the Personna Platinum, this inspires me to try the other three on your list.

... Thom

Top Bottom