What's new

Hello, look what I found!

I've read various threads here over the years off and on, but never thought of posting until I made a remarkable (at least to me) discovery, and was hoping someone could help punt me in the direction of a ballpark date on the made in England Gillette "Super Silver" blade, code letter "Y" one one side, and on the flipped over side, number "2".

My grandfather gave me his shaving kit that he kept from the second world war, and many other things, just before he passed. To me, he was a very kind and good man, though we weren't blood related as he was my step mother's father. Unfortunately, she has a tendency to throw things out without asking and so those old razors disappeared literally days later, never to be seen again. I always wanted to get one like he had, yet the modern stuff seemed either very pricey, or throw away quality.

Eventually, I thought, "what's the worst that could happen", and got a Wilkinson Sword butterfly opening modern safety razor a good few years ago and was very happy.

Recently, I wondered if there was something I could do to speed up my shaving, to require less strokes and get a closer result, so I tried "Feather" blades, and wasn't terribly impressed, especially with the price. They start fine, but a few shaves later and they seem worse than the locally made Bic Astors I can get easily and much cheaper in bulk. So, I upgraded razor to a Mülhe r41.

It's nice, but frankly a bit disappointed with it. It was touted from thread to thread as some kind of lightsabre across various sites. To me, the Wilkinson with a shim added does a better job.

Randomly passing a second hand stall today and saw this fine looking Gillette and bought it for a tenner. I tried searching for a date, wondering if it's safe to use the blades after what might be a good bit of time since new. I opened one to see not a trace of rust, so rinsed the lot under the hot water tap just in case and had.... Literally the best shave of my entire life!

I feel like such an idiot for not swallowing my pride and trying a second hand razor years ago as it's not the first time I saw one like this.

If only they still made blades like this! We'll see how long it lasts, because I was initially happy with the Feather's, too, but for something that's sat in a box for possibly decades, I'm utterly blown away. They go for crazy money it seems from searching, though I'm none the wiser as to the date code, if it's 90s (seems a bit recent given the shape of the razor and the slightly degraded little luggage case thing the whole lot came in.)

Anyways, thanks for reading!
IMG20240521181742.jpg

Welcome :)

The razor is a 70s Spiral Tech with aluminum handle. No clue about the age of the blade but soon somebody will chime in.
It is a 50s Tech. The head is all brass. NOt sure that handle is aluminium.

@GwynO Your razor is from the very late 50s. Around 1958-59. That is when they started using that new type of handle with the old heads. In 1961 they changed the head.

@Phoenixkh That blade is a 1978, because it is a Super Silver.

I've read various threads here over the years off and on, but never thought of posting until I made a remarkable (at least to me) discovery, and was hoping someone could help punt me in the direction of a ballpark date on the made in England Gillette "Super Silver" blade, code letter "Y" one one side, and on the flipped over side, number "2".

My grandfather gave me his shaving kit that he kept from the second world war, and many other things, just before he passed. To me, he was a very kind and good man, though we weren't blood related as he was my step mother's father. Unfortunately, she has a tendency to throw things out without asking and so those old razors disappeared literally days later, never to be seen again. I always wanted to get one like he had, yet the modern stuff seemed either very pricey, or throw away quality.

Eventually, I thought, "what's the worst that could happen", and got a Wilkinson Sword butterfly opening modern safety razor a good few years ago and was very happy.

Recently, I wondered if there was something I could do to speed up my shaving, to require less strokes and get a closer result, so I tried "Feather" blades, and wasn't terribly impressed, especially with the price. They start fine, but a few shaves later and they seem worse than the locally made Bic Astors I can get easily and much cheaper in bulk. So, I upgraded razor to a Mülhe r41.

It's nice, but frankly a bit disappointed with it. It was touted from thread to thread as some kind of lightsabre across various sites. To me, the Wilkinson with a shim added does a better job.

Randomly passing a second hand stall today and saw this fine looking Gillette and bought it for a tenner. I tried searching for a date, wondering if it's safe to use the blades after what might be a good bit of time since new. I opened one to see not a trace of rust, so rinsed the lot under the hot water tap just in case and had.... Literally the best shave of my entire life!

I feel like such an idiot for not swallowing my pride and trying a second hand razor years ago as it's not the first time I saw one like this.

If only they still made blades like this! We'll see how long it lasts, because I was initially happy with the Feather's, too, but for something that's sat in a box for possibly decades, I'm utterly blown away. They go for crazy money it seems from searching, though I'm none the wiser as to the date code, if it's 90s (seems a bit recent given the shape of the razor and the slightly degraded little luggage case thing the whole lot came in.)

Anyways, thanks for reading!
View attachment 1849875
It's a 1978 manufactured English Super Silver, made just down the road from me.

Manufactured between April and June of that year. 2 is the second quarter. Gillette had a alphabetic dating code with letters corresponding to years.

I've got the same razor, but it's probably earlier as Ivan said. Mine's from the late 50's to maybe 1961

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone for the input here! It's always nice to see "Made in England" written on anything. At 42 next month, I can barely just remember when we still made nice things. So, this razor, I'll consider an early birthday present to myself, is actually older than I am, yet working flawlessly (if only they made spinal cords and knees like they made these razors.)

Thank you so much everyone for the input here! It's always nice to see "Made in England" written on anything. At 42 next month, I can barely just remember when we still made nice things. So, this razor, I'll consider an early birthday present to myself, is actually older than I am, yet working flawlessly (if only they made spinal cords and knees like they made these razors.)
Is the handle aluminium? Looks too shiny for aluminium to me.

Welcome to B&B. Glad you decided to join us. As Alum Ladd noted, the blades are of 1978 vintage. The English-made Super Silvers are excellent blades. My supply is limited so I don't often use them, but 8 or 9 shaves minimum is standard for me. I would rate them as equal to, or perhaps slightly better than the contemporary American-made Spoilers. You can still find them from time to time on auction sights, but they're not cheap.
Enjoy them while they last.

Top Bottom