What's new

Heljelstrand shoulderless

I believe I have two number 7 's. If you don't find anything you like we can message about a trade. Good luck on the hunt though. I have scored c.v.h.'s from $25 up to $100. I love the ebay people who don't use the name of blade only vintage as description. So it can take awhile of daily browsing to find something. Also fallowing @Polarbeard has cost me lots of money. I think I have 20+ swedish blades. Most in ivory. The kids will make a fortune when I die.

I believe I have two number 7 's. If you don't find anything you like we can message about a trade. Good luck on the hunt though. I have scored c.v.h.'s from $25 up to $100. I love the ebay people who don't use the name of blade only vintage as description. So it can take awhile of daily browsing to find something. Also fallowing @Polarbeard has cost me lots of money. I think I have 20+ swedish blades. Most in ivory. The kids will make a fortune when I die.
I believe that it's a good idea to inform ones closest family about the value of your razors. If the worst would happen and you pass away there's otherwise an obvious risk that the razors will get thrown away along with your tools or sold for a fraction of their value.

I have a list with the value of mine on so the wife and son will have an idea of value plus I told my son to talk to you Arne if he has any problems if that's ok with yourself as one can never be to carefull

Last edited:
My 14 yr old son has been forced to learn about the straights. Every time I restore one or just get a new one he's has to hear all about it's origin and value. He tries to act excited so I take less time showing him. A list is a great idea. Let's hope I get a few more years before they have to figure out what to do with all my stuff.

These swedes definitely are spendy.
I always seem to come to the party after the collectors have driven up the prices.
After Filarmonica 14s
After air cooled Porsche 911s
And now after Heljstrand MKs

Oh well. I think I'll try to just buy one good Hel and try to stop there. That's what I did with my Fili No 14.

If you want to test drive the format with softer steel and see how much you’re willing to spend, grab a shoulderless JR Torrey. I haven’t tested the limits of how sharp mine will get yet, but generally vintage American steel isn’t lacking anything in fine grain structure against anything else on earth.

The Torrey 136 is the most common top shelf shoulderless for cheap in the US.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If you want to test drive the format with softer steel and see how much you’re willing to spend, grab a shoulderless JR Torrey. I haven’t tested the limits of how sharp mine will get yet, but generally vintage American steel isn’t lacking anything in fine grain structure against anything else on earth.

The Torrey 136 is the most common top shelf shoulderless for cheap in the US.
I find them to acquire as sharp an edge as the best razors. I honed mine to laser sharp .1u. The edge won’t lilely maintain an edge as long as a silver steel or an Eskiltuna blade but they will take as sharp an edge as any. They are excellent blades. America produced excellent steel especially after WWII.

Is it only me or what? I hear about all the straights that have to be rehoned regulary, +++ but my swedish straights has never been rehoned(not by me at least) and they just keep on going whit a bit TLC from my Scruppelwork strop and they always perform excellent! Is this normal?

Last edited:
Is it only me or what? I hear about all the straights that have to be rehoned regulary, +++ but my swedish straights has never been rehoned(not by me at least) and they just keep on going whit a bit TLC from my Scruppelwork strop and they always perform excellent! Is this normal?

Most of us are honing more than necessary since we’re doig this for luxury shaves in the first place. I went a 9 month deployment plus a solid 45+ days before that on a single professionally honed blade and it wasn’t tempered anywhere near as hard as Swedish blades are. I’m not gonna do that now that I’m home with honed in the drawer right next to where I shave.

I have a list with the value of mine on so the wife and son will have an idea of value plus I told my son to talk to you Arne if he has any problems if that's ok with yourself as one can never be to carefull
He's very welcome, and thank you for trusting me Ian.
It's totally normal and what's to be expected. I haven't rehoned any of mine either, but that can partially be because I've got a few of them so any given razor doesn't get too many shaves.

Top Bottom