What's new

Head Shaving SE Razor Advice Needed

Bello!!! I wanted it too until I read that it is overly aggressive and has now become almost unobtainable to buy from new.
They are still available at Soulobjects.de, Roberto - also in all brass including the handle. It’s not overly aggressive, but you do have to be a bit more cautious. I have had both types of shaves with the Flatboy. A longer handle helps to ride the cap a bit more.

Compared to my high end razors I think this Flatboy could actually be a one pass shave razor - I just need to master it a little more!

Guido

And of course there's a whole range of GEM style razors that are great headshavers. My personal favorite "lightweight" GEM is a lather catcher, the Micromatic Clog Pruf is also excellent, and the Blackland Sabre L2 is fantastic.

And of course there's a whole range of GEM style razors that are great headshavers. My personal favorite "lightweight" GEM is a lather catcher, the Micromatic Clog Pruf is also excellent, and the Blackland Sabre L2 is fantastic.
I have always been intrigued about the GEM Razors. Had seen a used Micromatic Clog Pruf for sale awhile back.

Fellow head shaver here for multiple years.

My story is short, picked up a Blackland Vector Ti and have never looked back. Not only is it the best shave I can ever get, it saved me money from any want to purchase any other razors.

Fellow head shaver here for multiple years.

My story is short, picked up a Blackland Vector Ti and have never looked back. Not only is it the best shave I can ever get, it saved me money from any want to purchase any other razors.
The Vector is a Beautiful Razor. Will suggest this to him but I kinda doubt if he will shell out for a Blackie. Great Choice Mate.

B & B members, Wet Shaving Brothers and Friends, I have an issue and need some help regarding a SE Razor for Head Shaving.

So here is the issue, a dear friend who has been head shaving for the last 4 years has been through much with bumps and ingrown hair caused by his Gillette Fusion. It has been a painful ride for him and yesterday he was sporting a wound caused by him going a bit aggressive over a bump. It looked like he had sliced off a bit of his scalp and he was inquiring about picking up the Pitbull Skull Shaver Gold Pro. Talked him out of it as my experience with electric face shavers always left me with either bumps, a shadow or even razor burn if i went over the same area a few times. Advised him that a wet shave is still the answer and an SE Razor would help. Now, I have zero knowledge about the best SE or AC razors for head shaving.

Here's my query, would a half DE razor be best or an AC Razor ? The only two I have used are the Twig and the Yaqi Katana but I wouldn't suggest the Twig due to the mechanism being fragile. At the top of my head and after reading a few reviews, the one's below are what I suggested.

1. Shield Avenger Ti
2. Yaqi Romulus or Remus
3. RazoRock Hawk V3
4. Razorock Eco

I understand that many head Shavers prefer a a slightly lighter razor. Keeping in mind the fact that he is a Head Shaver who also face shaves using a multi blade cartridge, Your help and suggestions would be much appreciated as to what SE he should pick up.
I have to ask... Is the "friend" in your story really you? It's OK if it is! But I have a hard time understanding how and why you would convince him an SE razor was the answer when you have no experience with SE razors? Why wouldn't a DE razor work just as well?

I have to ask... Is the "friend" in your story really you? It's OK if it is! But I have a hard time understanding how and why you would convince him an SE razor was the answer when you have no experience with SE razors? Why wouldn't a DE razor work just as well?
No mate, it sadly isn't me, ha ha ha. I have never head shaved but had it done at a barber before my University exams and that was eons ago, he used a straight Razor.

The Only reason I suggested an SE to my pal is cause this guy is careless and always in a hurry. More than that, he is used to the Gillette fusion where the blades are all one sided.

Am grateful for every one's help and advice here and I'm actually interested in a Vector and a Shield Stomper for Face shaving, thanks to the suggestions in this thread, one of those will be my first SE.

Ironically, @Iridian did suggest an idiot proof Razor to me which would be perfect for my friend and that was the Henson Medium. My pal picked that up in the original finish and has been using it for a short time. He loves it to bits. The only advice I gave him was do two passes rather than keep scraping the area over and over if the stubble hasn't cleared there.

The lads here are always super helpful and ready to offer their suggestions and experiences So @catchacoolbreeze, I wouldn't ever cook up a story, I'd just ask for help myself. This Forum is that cool.

No mate, it sadly isn't me, ha ha ha. I have never head shaved but had it done at a barber before my University exams and that was eons ago, he used a straight Razor.

The Only reason I suggested an SE to my pal is cause this guy is careless and always in a hurry. More than that, he is used to the Gillette fusion where the blades are all one sided.

Am grateful for every one's help and advice here and I'm actually interested in a Vector and a Shield Stomper for Face shaving, thanks to the suggestions in this thread, one of those will be my first SE.

Ironically, @Iridian did suggest an idiot proof Razor to me which would be perfect for my friend and that was the Henson Medium. My pal picked that up in the original finish and has been using it for a short time. He loves it to bits. The only advice I gave him was do two passes rather than keep scraping the area over and over if the stubble hasn't cleared there.

The lads here are always super helpful and ready to offer their suggestions and experiences So @catchacoolbreeze, I wouldn't ever cook up a story, I'd just ask for help myself. This Forum is that cool.

If someone is starting out in wet shaving. They should definitely start with DE over SE. Way more choices in razors. Way more choices in blades. Many more less expensive DE options. The blade pack of $2.50 is also better than SE blade packs of you are trying to fine tune. And beside GEM - I have yet to see an SE razor blade that is as sharp as a DE. I did hanging hair tests on my AC blades and none of them passed.... Most of my DEs passed no problem.

If you want an SE "just because" - sure go for it. But starting out, I would doubt it. I am a head shaver and I speak from that experience as well.

If someone is starting out in wet shaving. They should definitely start with DE over SE. Way more choices in razors. Way more choices in blades. Many more less expensive DE options. The blade pack of $2.50 is also better than SE blade packs of you are trying to fine tune. And beside GEM - I have yet to see an SE razor blade that is as sharp as a DE. I did hanging hair tests on my AC blades and none of them passed.... Most of my DEs passed no problem.

If you want an SE "just because" - sure go for it. But starting out, I would doubt it. I am a head shaver and I speak from that experience as well.
So I guess the Henson medium was a decent choice for him as it worked well. He has been wet shaving for years but unlike most or all of us here isn't interested in testing blades or trying out different razors. He just wanted one that served the purpose to provide.him with a shave that would be injury free.

I think Iridian hit the nail on the head when he said get him an idiot proof razor. I am not a Henson fan myself and prefer more aggressive razors. I find the R41 to be smooth and fairly mild but really efficient for myself. I hated the way the Henson's shave but that's me. To a lot of folk, a Henson I guess is a razor that does the work in a safe manner.

Totally appreciate your inputs and agree with them as well.

I had a chance to borrow/use the Henson AL13+, and I think you made the right choice. If I was buying for myself, I would get the ++ or +++. One interesting thing, though, I bought the Yaqi Tile for myself, and it supposed to be just a bit more aggressive over the AL13++ , but I still got a better/quicker shave with the Henson Mild (AL13+).

You mentioned you like Shield razors? Which ones have you tried, and what do you think of each of them? Also, what material did you choose/buy for the Shield razors? I'm going to order the Shield GEM when I get around to doing another order at AliExpress. I was also thinking of trying their AC at some point, but not sure yet as the Blackland Vector hasn't worked out great for me (I'm going to keep using it for at least a few months more, then maybe look at selling if I can't get better results with it. I'm strictly head shaving with it).

Very, very interesting as I bought the Vector a few months back thinking it would be one of THE razors for me (I don't think I can use just one razor all the time), but it hasn't worked out so far. I am getting a quicker shave than most of my other razors (35-40 minutes), but I was hoping to cut that time down under 30 minutes to get the result I want which is a mix of DFS/BBS. I tried a Henson AL13+ last week and got almost the same shave time (result wasn't quite as good) with a sharper blade in it (Feather and I also tried an Astra SP) and despite it being a mild razor, it did a decent job still. There was zero irritation, though. The other issue with the Vector is, I could only get the DFS/BBS (about 20% DFS in my harder areas and 80% BBS in my easier spots to shave) results with the Feather Professional Super and Kai Captain Titan Mild. Doesn't leave me with much blade choice. The rest of the blades I used were terrible for me (Schick Proline P-30, Feather Professional, Feather Pro Guard). I have yet to try the ProShave S, but that is the last AC blade I was going to try.

Which AC blades did you use for the hanging hair test? I always thought that AC blades are supposed to be sharper and last longer than DE blades? Why/what were AC blades originally designed for?

Which AC blades did you use for the hanging hair test? I always thought that AC blades are supposed to be sharper and last longer than DE blades? Why/what were AC blades originally designed for?
I don't remember the specific ones. But I have 6 or 7 blade packs from the feather, feather guarded, Kai, kai guarded, Kai Mild, Schick, etc. People claim they are sharper, but I've yet to understand why they make that claim. I suspect it is one of the things someone said, that just keeps getting spread around. Maybe it was from a manufacturer to sell their newest razor. I did a test. The test told me they are not as sharp. Unless someone can do another test or prove otherwise, I think the prevailing wisdom that they are sharper is bogus. The Feather Super (the longer one - my name might be off) - is claimed the sharpest of the bunch, and for me was the dullest.

I've also take blades and try to cut hair on my face by holding them in my hand. Very simple - hold the blade more or less flat against your face, put it under a hair (I go atg) and see if the hair pops off as you move the blade up. If it rolls the hair over, its dull. My sharpest DE blades pop hair on my face no problem when doing that - my AC blades - nada.

Top Bottom