What's new

He shoots! He scores! (An early SE razor)

First things first: Thanks, HoosierTrooper for talking me into buying this one.

I found an early (ca. 1904) Yankee SE razor. Yankee was one of R & S Manufacturing Co.'s brands. Yankee/R&S became Ever-Ready in 1905 and then merged with GEM in 1906 to form the American Safety Razor Co.

This silver-plated lather catcher is in great shape. No brassing at all. And it came with several "new" Ever-Ready blades. Old style without the cut-outs.

Enjoy the pics.

$P1110404.JPG$P1110405.JPG$P1110407.JPG$P1110408.JPG$P1110409.JPG

Very nice! By the way, the "R&S" in R&S Manufacturing were Jeremiah Reichard and August Scheuber who had left Gem Cutlery to start Yankee/Ever-Ready. Reichard himself had joined up with Scheuber and the Zinns to form Gem after leaving the Kampfe brothers at Star just a few years earlier.

This is my first lather catcher with the wooden handle. Are they all so tiny? It's travel Tech size.

There are other longer styles, but yeah, all the ones that style are pretty short. I usually grip them with my thumb and ring middle finger and brace the back of the frame with my index finger, so the length isn't anywhere near as annoying as the travel Tech. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Very nice, you do not see many Yankee's
I have one with the longer 2 piece handle and stropper, but the finish isnt as nice as yours

proxy.php

Sled Dog,

Yours must be older than mine, since all of the patents are pending.

I threw a modern blade in and placed it against my cheek to try to find a shave-angle. I don't see how the Yankee qualified as a "safety razor. The comb really doesn't do anything, and the blade is just completely exposed. I'm betting that this is going to be a massively aggressive razor. :thumbup:

Sled Dog,
I don't see how the Yankee qualified as a "safety razor. The comb really doesn't do anything, and the blade is just completely exposed.

During this era, many men wore substantial facial hair. The comb was literally exactly that, a way to help the razor work its way through a beard and cut more efficiently. These razors provided an alternative to seeing a barber regularly, or worse, having your own straights. While we now think of maintaining straights as very zen like and a pleasurable process, back in those days, it was a PITA at best

I'm glad you decided to get it, that is one remarkable piece of shaving history. There can't be very many of the Yankee brand razors left, especially in that condition.

Well, I think I have contracted a new AD: LCAD (Lather Catcher Acquisition Disorder). This is my 2nd one (the other is a very nice Gem Jr. Bar). Now I'm singing the Pokemon song: "Gotta catch 'em all." Is there a definitive list somewhere of the LCs?

Last edited:
I just wanted to update this thread, so that any future B&Bers who search for "Yankee razor" aren't left with the impression that it's an unusable beast. It's not. It's really quite tame. I'm using SEs more than half-time now, and the lather catchers (this Yankee and a GEM Jr. Bar) are my favorites. Always guaranteed DFS+. No muss. No fuss. And, most importantly, no blood.

outstanding! the box looks to be in great condition as does the head. is there a slight mark on the handle or is that the flash reflection? - either way it doesn't detract from the beauty of this elegant piece of shaving history.

thanks for sharing with us - I hope your sammy doesn't have a preference for vintage wooden handles...

Top Bottom