What's new

Having to put down a dog.

I'm sorry to hear that. I know what it is like to have a dog in pain.
although mine was 16 years old, i cant imagine having to deal with it at 5.

Gus sends his condolences too...

proxy.php

Very sorry to hear about this. We had to put our lab down a couple years ago...Was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do..one of, if not, the worse day of my life...Took my Wife & I about a year to get over..I sympathize with you..good luck.

Steve

I'm very sorry. Such a sad business...these decisions are always the hardest to make. Just remind yourself that it is for the best, and treasure these next few days. My thoughts are with you and yours.

Sorry to hear the news Neil. I've been there. I had to put down my 3 1/2 year old border collie Sully a couple of years ago. He was born with a seizure disorder and we were able to keep it under control for most of the time. Unfortunately, he went into on and off seizures for 3 days and we knew what we had to do just looking at him. There's only so much you can do for a dog before you have to take their best interests into account. They just want to be pain-free (or have minimal pain) and be able to enjoy life. If they can't enjoy life because of pain and being loopy on drugs, the choice is easy (but you will still feel miserable about it). Know that you gave your dog a great life for the short time you had him and know that he'll have some new friends. I know my guy is somewhere nice chasing frisbees and running a beach like he did pretty much every day here.

Sorry to hear the news Neil. I've been there. I had to put down my 3 1/2 year old border collie Sully a couple of years ago. He was born with a seizure disorder and we were able to keep it under control for most of the time. Unfortunately, he went into on and off seizures for 3 days and we knew what we had to do just looking at him. There's only so much you can do for a dog before you have to take their best interests into account. They just want to be pain-free (or have minimal pain) and be able to enjoy life. If they can't enjoy life because of pain and being loopy on drugs, the choice is easy (but you will still feel miserable about it). Know that you gave your dog a great life for the short time you had him and know that he'll have some new friends. I know my guy is somewhere nice chasing frisbees and running a beach like he did pretty much every day here.

That's very, very sad. Both our Beagles have seizures but only once every few months. Sorry to hear that.

I write this in hopes you will consider this option before putting your dog down. First, let me relay the story of our dog.

She has a degenerative disk problem in her neck. Thanksgiving day 2 years ago she got up from her bed in the morning, walked down the hall, and yelped in pain. Every few steps was yelp. It was heart wrenching to watch. I drove like a fleeing criminal to the emergency vet hospital.

She was placed on a high dosage of Duramax to ease the pain, along with inflamatories. No improvement was noted. We went to several vets desparately trying to save our girl. Some wanted to try surgery, others put her down, others keep her drugged up. None of theses options were acceptable for various reason.

Then one vet suggested trying a gloucosimine supplement. We used the Joint Max Tripple strength product. After 2 months, we began to reduce the duramax over the course of several weeks. Today she is pain free and plays like a puppy again. There has been one "flairup" in that time and we caught it early, got her back on a course of Duramax and anti-inflamatories for a couple of weeks. Back to normal yet again.

I urge you to try gloucosimine as a last ditch option. It worked wonders where we thought we would have to put our dog down. She now lives a healthy full life with plenty of play.

Having had to put down my Golden after 13 years, my heart aches for you. Anyone who has had or now has a dog is feeling a little of the pain you are experiencing. My wife and I decided 'no more dogs...it's just too painful'.
But then a wise friend asked me if the 13 years of joy were worth having to experience the end. It was.

We now have another Golden (18 months) and are enjoying every minute with him. Please don't misunderstand my thoughts (I am pretty lousy at this). I am not trying to say "time heals all wound", or "get another dog". I am just trying to say your time together is precious, and both of you are better for having had even a short time.

Dogs are one of God's gifts to man for being good.

Treasure the pictures, the memories, and the fact that God thought enough of you to let something as wonderful and special as a dog--especially a beagle--be a part of your life.

It is an awful decision. You beat yourself up about what you would have done if you had more money, and you beat yourself up about whether it was time, whether there was something else you could do. You hurt in a very real way.

My mom told me (because I said the same thing to her when she was in that spot) that my dog would have killed or died to do what was best for me, and that I had honored that loyalty by making the best choice for him. She was right.

You've been loved by a dog. I think you know what a gift and a blessing that truly is. You have my deepest sympathies and prayers.

I know it is hard! I had to put down my dog Einstein over 10 years ago and have not had one since.....
It was hard but you know we held him while they gave him the injection in his IV and he slipped off but he seemed to know and he seemed grateful as he was in a lot of pain.

It is funny I read this this evening because after all these years my wife and I are picking up a 13 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel tomorrow to share our love and home with.... I miss my old friend I lost all those years ago and now I wish I had not waited so long.

Neil, when I was studying to be a vet, I worked for one all throughout high school and in college. I had to put many animals down. If your pet is suffering, he should not live like that. To euthanize your pet is painless to him. It is just a strong dose of phenobarbitol. He will just go to sleep. Maybe this means nothing to you, but just wanted you to know it won't hurt him. Brant

I had a similar experience with my 4 year-old Rottweiler, who was diagnosed with a malignant tumor on one of his hind legs. My options were surgery and chemotherapy, and the prognosis was not good. My vet helped me understand that every day I kept him alive would be worse than the day before and that if I didn't put him down, it would be for me and not for him.

After that conversation, I sat with my dog as he got his final shot. It was a quick and merciful end for him, though it was very difficult for me. As hard as it was, I know it was the right decision. It sounds like you know the right thing to do. I am sorry.

I thought the dog people posting in this thread might be able to appreciate the following story...

A Story
A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.
After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold.
He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"
"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.
"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.
"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."
The man gestured, and the gate began to open.
"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.
"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."
The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going.
After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed.
There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.
"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"
"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there." The man pointed to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in."
"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.
"There should be a bowl by the pump."
They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.
When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.
"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.
"This is Heaven," was the answer.
"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."
"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's Hell."
"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"
"No. I can see how you might think so, but we're just happy that they screenout the folks who'll leave their best friends behind."

I am so sorry, I honestly don't know what to say other then you will miss your doggie terribly at first but things will definitely get better

I would most definitely paypal a few dollars your way to help you pay to have the vet take your dog to be cremated so you don't have to go through that. I bet a few other B&Bers might be able to do the same. How much do you need? maybe we can set up a little fundraiser or a raffle for some shaving gear.

I had a cat from since I was 6 till 22......he didn't even die of old age....he was hit by a train or car.....he still had a few good years in him.....He was everything to me....someone to talk to when I needed it....someone to play with when I was bored...someone to cuddle with when I was lonely.....and someone who was there for me when no one else was.....I know exactly how you feel.....animals become a part of our families and it's so hard to lose them.....hang in there and remember...time wounds all heals..........or is it the other way around......j/k.......seriously though, I wish you my best and you will be in my prayers.....Mo.

I write this in hopes you will consider this option before putting your dog down. First, let me relay the story of our dog.

She has a degenerative disk problem in her neck. Thanksgiving day 2 years ago she got up from her bed in the morning, walked down the hall, and yelped in pain. Every few steps was yelp. It was heart wrenching to watch. I drove like a fleeing criminal to the emergency vet hospital.

She was placed on a high dosage of Duramax to ease the pain, along with inflamatories. No improvement was noted. We went to several vets desparately trying to save our girl. Some wanted to try surgery, others put her down, others keep her drugged up. None of theses options were acceptable for various reason.

Then one vet suggested trying a gloucosimine supplement. We used the Joint Max Tripple strength product. After 2 months, we began to reduce the duramax over the course of several weeks. Today she is pain free and plays like a puppy again. There has been one "flairup" in that time and we caught it early, got her back on a course of Duramax and anti-inflamatories for a couple of weeks. Back to normal yet again.

I urge you to try gloucosimine as a last ditch option. It worked wonders where we thought we would have to put our dog down. She now lives a healthy full life with plenty of play.

Glucososimine is a great supplement....other joint supplements are Shark Cartilage, chondroitin, MSM, and Hyaluronic Acid......All these are great joint supplements for dogs......We prolonged the life of my rotty by giving him these as well....

V

VR6ofpain

After just over 15 years we had to put our family dog down. He was diabetic and blind. The last few weeks he couldn't do much but sleep and struggle to breath.

I remember when we put him down, we were petting him when the docotor said his heart had stopped. The sad part was his eyes were still looking at us (or so it seemed). It was a very depressing day in my teenage years. That said it was something quickly accepted and I don't even feel too bad about it looking back. He was a great dog, little Spunky, but he had a good run. There are always pictures to remind you of your old friend. They don't call dogs "man's best friend" for no reason. Unlike humans, it is rare that a dog will ever try to pull one over on you. They are far more trustworthy than humans.

Best of luck to you both.

I know that nothing helps much when in your position.

That being said, I recently had a scare with my cat. We were lucky, and with some subcutaneous fluids, we don't have to make that decision right now. But, I happened on a tidbit in the Enchiridion by a Greek philosopher named Epictetus. Essentially, he makes the point that we don't own the things we love. Since we do not own them, they must go back to where they came from. So, when that time comes, we should let them go and be thankful for the time we had with them. He puts it a lot better than me, though.

My thoughts are with you.

Reading your post makes me tear up. I can't imagine what you two are going through. I am truly, truly sorry. You are all in my prayers. God bless.

I feel your pain. My childhood dog died a few years ago while I was deployed. My Dad didn't want to tell me while I was deployed so he waited until I came home on leave after the deployment. While we didn't have to put him down and he lived a long life (almost 16 years) it was hard for me. It was especially hard for my Father as he was the dogs primary caretaker after I joined the service.

This will be hard for both of you. You are yours will be in my prayers.

Top Bottom