What's new

Have I Created a Monster?

Wait, so carts are cheaper than blades for DE in the Philippines?

I travel to Central America and carts are very expensive and blades are very hard to come by and also expensive. Once I found a sale and I think I bought all of them....
Blades are mostly used in shavettes by barbers.
One of my friends, a Vet, offered to get me some blades (what she uses to shave animals). Some cheap russian stuff that are not cheap there.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Erwin visited me yesterday afternoon while delivering my weekly beer supply. Over a few beers we got talking. His DE shaving is going well and he now enjoys shaving. Being Filipino, Erwin only needs to shave around the mouth and chin, no whiskers anywhere else. He feels that he is now ready to try a straight razor!

I showed Erwin my first M7DS and he was impressed but shocked at the price, almost as much as a new trysykad. Anyway, I offered Erwin one of my stainless steel shavette type SR's that he is happy with.

Erwin asked me to teach him how to use it. I suggested that he first ask his papa as father teaching son is a good bonding experience for both. I gave Erwin's papa a SS shavette type a few months ago and he loves it.

If it doesn't work out with his papa teaching him, I'll teach Erwin myself.

One of my best local friends is a Filipino trisykad driver, very poor but an honest and hard working man, Erwin.

I recently purchased two Futur clones, one for my dopp and the other as a gift to Erwin. I also gave Erwin a synthetic "looks like" badger brush, a tub of Chinese blades and some nondescript shaving cream.

Erwin's previous shaving habits where to shave with a cart once or twice a week, only when he really needed it. He didn't enjoy shaving and carts were a major expense for him.

Last week I gave Erwin his first DE shaving kit. I guided him through his first DE shave teaching him the basics of lathering and shaving with the Futur (set on 1).

Erwin came to visit me today, all freshly shaven. I asked him how his new shaving was going. He loves it so much that he is now shaving twice a day, whether he needs it or not.
You're a really good guy mate. I'll be happy to send some blades and shaving creams over to you to pass to him. So glad to know he is enjoying his shave.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You're a really good guy mate. I'll be happy to send some blades and shaving creams over to you to pass to him. So glad to know he is enjoying his shave.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk
@Mark1977, thank you. Anything sent would be greatfully received and faithfully applied.

Any shaving cream of soap would be loved by Erwin. It is not easy or cheap to buy it locally here on Mactan Island.

When people discover DE shaving they'll love it, all of us have been in that position. Once you shave with a DE razor you never want to go back to carts.

DE shaving in its most basic form is very inexpensive and environmentally friendly and ideal for people on low incomes.
If you look at where most DE razors and blades are manufactured it's nearly always from poorer countries.
You don't have to drop a grand on a Wolfman to get a great shave.
You are to be commended on your generosity. Sounds like you made a real contribution to improve the life of someone who is less fortunate than your self.
The worst part is that the production costs of these carts is just a couple cents! Couple days ago I went to a local drugstore and guess what they had in their discount corner? Fusion carts, 12 carts for 35 euro. The normal price for them is 63 euro. Thats just INSANE! You can buy 100 Astra SP's for 10 euro. I could get like 2 shaves out of one cart while I get 3 shaves out of an Astra SP, 8 from a Permasharp and 14 from a Feather.

I haven't been in Morocco for 10 years they sell a lot of BIC disposable razors (the yellow ones) and a lot of Wilkinson's DE razors. DE shaving is still very popular over there. Moroccans have this mindset like why do I have to change something if the current method works. Being a Moroccan myself I can tell you that I hate change :biggrin1:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Erwin called in to visit me today. He believes that he now has his shavette shaving working well but still needs to improve his technique. Tomorrow morning he is coming around to shave at my place. I can then possibly give him some guidance.

Erwin is also developing an interest in traditional SR's. Once he gets his shavette shaving near perfect, I think he'll want to have a go with one of my Titans. I don't think he is ready for the Gold Dollar W59 yet 😁.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Erwin turned up for his shavette shaving lesson this morning. He brought his Chinese generic SS shavette with London Bridge blade and his Chinese genuine pure best quality badger synthetic brush. I asked him what soap he uses to lather. He has run out of the Sanofi (Australian) shaving cream I have him and now just uses bar bath soap. Being Filipino, Erwin only grows whiskers on his upper lip and chin, none on cheeks or neck.

I shaved first with exactly the same gear Erwin uses. He watched to learn. I lathered up with bar bath soap and performed a two-pass (WTG & ATG) in the facial area where Erwin shaves. While doing this, I explained to Erwin what I was doing and why.

Next was Erwin's turn. He first washed his whiskers with soap and water. Next he applied the bar bath soap and lathered. His first pass was WTG. He had his shaving (non)pressure about right, it was just his blade angle he needed to flatten. I also advised him on how to shave WTG right up to his nostrils. With that learnt, the first pass went well.

While rinsing his face, I got Erwin to feel where it wasn't smooth. He then applied bath soap again, lathered up, and commenced his second pass. I suggested that he only do ATG on the upper part of his chin and the rest WTG again. After feeling how good the upper part of his chin was, he decided that he would go ATG all over. I worked!

With BBS all over, Erwin then splashed on some of my Clarifiance (Cebu) after shave, cleaned up and went home a new man.

This was Erwin's seventh shavette shave and he says his best ever.

Now all Erwin has to do is find another poor Filipino he can convince to start traditional wet shaving. Then he can PIF the Futur clone that I gave him earlier this year.

I think in a few more months Erwin might be ready for a traditional SR.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here is what we shaved with this morning (minus the shave cream).

IMG_20200930_143200.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yesterday afternoon after work, I was having a cold beer with my Filipino neighbour. Both he and one of his adult sons are head shavers. The topic of shaving came up and I asked him what did he use to shave with. He just uses bath soap and a cart razor (no brush). I then went inside and returned with a small present for him; a stick of Arko and a Chinese genuine badger hair synthetic shave brush.

I explained to him how to use them and warned him that he will then have women following him everywhere. One day I might introduce him to SR shaving.

One of my best local friends is a Filipino trisykad driver, very poor but an honest and hard working man, Erwin.

I recently purchased two Futur clones, one for my dopp and the other as a gift to Erwin. I also gave Erwin a synthetic "looks like" badger brush, a tub of Chinese blades and some nondescript shaving cream.

Erwin's previous shaving habits where to shave with a cart once or twice a week, only when he really needed it. He didn't enjoy shaving and carts were a major expense for him.

Last week I gave Erwin his first DE shaving kit. I guided him through his first DE shave teaching him the basics of lathering and shaving with the Futur (set on 1).

Erwin came to visit me today, all freshly shaven. I asked him how his new shaving was going. He loves it so much that he is now shaving twice a day, whether he needs it or not.
Very well done sir. A good samaritan act.

But you would turn him in to a monster (like the rest of us) if you ever were to point him to browse B&B ;)

you created a delightful monster - way to pass on the sharing especially now. little things like that makes all the better

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I chatted with my neighbour this evening. He loved his head shave with Arko and a brush. He said that his wife was more "loving" with the Arko scent. Must be a Filipina thing. Anyway, he now has his eldest son (also a head shave with cart) to try the same.

I raised the subject of SR shaving. He said that he was scared. I told him that one day I would teach him. He is happy with that. I think I will sart him off with face shaving only with an SR. I don't have the experience with head shaving so I will let him progress to that on his own with that.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
There is something satisfying about converting someone to the cult of DE and the selfless way you have done it makes it doubly admirable, congratulations.

I chatted with my neighbour this evening. He loved his head shave with Arko and a brush. He said that his wife was more "loving" with the Arko scent. Must be a Filipina thing. Anyway, he now has his eldest son (also a head shave with cart) to try the same.

I raised the subject of SR shaving. He said that he was scared. I told him that one day I would teach him. He is happy with that. I think I will sart him off with face shaving only with an SR. I don't have the experience with head shaving so I will let him progress to that on his own with that.
You are a good guy, or you are a terrible enabler, just kidding! I am enjoying reading your stories about your neighbors and friends. As men, shaving is part of our lives and those who can teach should. You are doing The Lords work, and making life better for those less fortunate. That is never a bad thing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Erwin came to visit me yesterday afternoon. While having a QLD (quiet little drink) together, he mentioned how well his shaving is going with his shavette. He now thinks that he would like to try traditional SR shaving.

I have a Gold Dollar 208 lying around that I have honed up. Today I will order a few more. Then I can give a shave-ready 208 and a couple of factory-edge 208's to Erwin. This will allow him to experience traditional SR shaving and develop his honing skills.

Over the past year, Erwin has taken my financial advice and has been saving some of his limited earnings. (Remember, he considers USD 10 per day for a 10 hour day pretty good.) Once he had PHP 2k (about USD 40) saved he was able to open a bank account. He now has a little over PHP 20k saved up and is the richest trisykad driver in the barangay.

Erwin is now a much more contented man. He is enjoying his shaves, learning new shaving skills and he and his family are becoming financially "secure".

I very much enjoy helping others and the best reward for me is seeing my help and guidance working well for those others.

Great story! I have a Gillette Tech that was picked up in the PI when my dad was stationed there from 1956-1959. We also have a lot of great home movies from his days there. I'm sure it's changed considerably since then.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Today I gave Erwin a shave-ready Gold Dollar 208 and a chamois-on-denim strop. He has been shaving with his half-blade shavette for a few weeks now and very comfortable so doing.

I instructed Erwin in how to strop his SR and told him to use the SR like his shavette but increase the angle a bit to about ½ to 1 spine thickness from the skin.

If Erwin enjoys traditional SR shaving (and who wouldn't), I'll give him a second GD 208 and teach him SR honing using the Method. From then on he is on his own to, go down whichever rabbit hole he so desires.

Last edited:
Top Bottom