What's new

Have I Created a Monster?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
One of my best local friends is a Filipino trisykad driver, very poor but an honest and hard working man, Erwin.

I recently purchased two Futur clones, one for my dopp and the other as a gift to Erwin. I also gave Erwin a synthetic "looks like" badger brush, a tub of Chinese blades and some nondescript shaving cream.

Erwin's previous shaving habits where to shave with a cart once or twice a week, only when he really needed it. He didn't enjoy shaving and carts were a major expense for him.

Last week I gave Erwin his first DE shaving kit. I guided him through his first DE shave teaching him the basics of lathering and shaving with the Futur (set on 1).

Erwin came to visit me today, all freshly shaven. I asked him how his new shaving was going. He loves it so much that he is now shaving twice a day, whether he needs it or not.

One of my best local friends is a Filipino trisykad driver, very poor but an honest and hard working man, Erwin.

I recently purchased two Futur clones, one for my dopp and the other as a gift to Erwin. I also gave Erwin a synthetic "looks like" badger brush, a tub of Chinese blades and some nondescript shaving cream.

Erwin's previous shaving habits where to shave with a cart once or twice a week, only when he really needed it. He didn't enjoy shaving and carts were a major expense for him.

Last week I gave Erwin his first DE shaving kit. I guided him through his first DE shave teaching him the basics of lathering and shaving with the Futur (set on 1).

Erwin came to visit me today, all freshly shaven. I asked him how his new shaving was going. He loves it so much that he is now shaving twice a day, whether he needs it or not.
When is he joining B&B?

DE shaving in its most basic form is very inexpensive and environmentally friendly and ideal for people on low incomes.
If you look at where most DE razors and blades are manufactured it's nearly always from poorer countries.
You don't have to drop a grand on a Wolfman to get a great shave.
You are to be commended on your generosity. Sounds like you made a real contribution to improve the life of someone who is less fortunate than your self.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... and ideal for people on low incomes.
If you look at where most DE razors and blades are manufactured it's nearly always from poorer countries. ....
I was raised by my parents to always try and help those how were less fortunate than myself.

Why are most blades made in poorer countries? I didn't think it was a labour intensive industry.

The Philippines is indeed a poorer country. Its labour rate is about only 20% of China's but Philippines output per USD in labour rate is also about 20% of China's.

I was raised by my parents to always try and help those how were less fortunate than myself.

Why are most blades made in poorer countries? I didn't think it was a labour intensive industry.

The Philippines is indeed a poorer country. Its labour rate is about only 20% of China's but Philippines output per USD in labour rate is also about 20% of China's.
I think it's because of the prevalence of DE Shaving in poorer countries. Especially places like India, Egypt, Turkey ect.
Whilst in Morocco earlier this year I went to buy blades from a drug store and was amazed at the selection available, Derby's, Lord blades of every persuasion, (Big Ben, Shark etc), even Russian blades such as Ladas and Astra.
They had a very small selection of cartridges and disposables, obviously for the tourists not for the locals

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... earlier this year I went to buy blades from a drug store and was amazed at the selection available, ....
And I was amazed last week when I went to a large supermarket in the Philippines and enquired about DE blades. They offered only one type, Gillette Rubie at USD 2 per tub. I also asked at four different drug stores - none!

If Erwin keeps with DE shaving, we might have to import our own blades in lots of 100 or more.

And I was amazed last week when I went to a large supermarket in the Philippines and enquired about DE blades. They offered only one type, Gillette Rubie at USD 2 per tub. I also asked at four different drug stores - none!

If Erwin keeps with DE shaving, we might have to import our own blades in lots of 100 or more.
That is strange. I wouldn't have expect you to have availability problems in the Philippines.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That is strange. I wouldn't have expect you to have availability problems in the Philippines.
I was also surprised. There are plenty of carts available but almost no DE blades. I didn't check before I ordered the Futurs as I use a straight razor at home and the Futur was for my use when overseas.

I'll still keep an eye out for local availability of DE blades. I know we can get them from Manila or China, so all is not lost.

I was also surprised. There are plenty of carts available but almost no DE blades. I didn't check before I ordered the Futurs as I use a straight razor at home and the Futur was for my use when overseas.

I'll still keep an eye out for local availability of DE blades. I know we can get them from Manila or China, so all is not lost.

You should be able to find London Bridge (also made by Gillette for Malaysian market) blades at some of the supermarkets. I like London Bridge better than Rubies anyway. Also you can get a decent variety DE blades at Shopee and Lazada (on line shopping) shipped out of Manila

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks. I am aware of what is available on Lazada and will use it if needed. I will still keep an eye open for what is available on Mactan Island.

For those who are unaware, the Philippines consists of over 700 islands.

Top Bottom