What's new

Have I Created a Monster?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
With his first 14 traditional SR shaves completed, Erwin is now a dedicate SR shaver. After his first shave with the Gold Dollar 208, his comment was "Wow! I have never shaved with an edge that sharp and smooth.". He is still getting great shaves from just stropping on his chamios-on-denim strop.

Today I started guiding Erwin into putting together a set of three diamond pasted balsa strops. He purchased a smooth 12" ceramic tile (PHP 23 or about USD 0.50) and cut it into three 3" wide pieces. I already have the balsa, foam, rubber glue and diamond paste for these strops. All Erwin has to do now is get some epoxy glue and we can get everything done. He has also bought a 400mm x 400mm (14" x 14" for @Slash McCoy) marble tile (PHP 48 or about USD 1) to lap his balsa on.

Once all set up, I will teach Erwin how to maintain his SR(s) using just diamond pasted balsa stropping.

As an aside, Erwin has been taking my financial advice and has done well over the past few years with saving and investing. Earlier this week he purchased a house for his family. (They have spent the past 12 years living in a single room in a boarding house.) The house is about 40sq.m (400sq.ft) concrete block with a tin roof. Cost was PHP 175k (about USD 3,500). Emily, his wife, is over-the-moon happy. She now has her own nest for her little family, Mary Grace 13yo and Mary Clare 2yo. They move in at the end of this month. I will post some photos after they move in.

It's great helping someone who wants to help themself.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm currently stuck in Far North Queensland waiting for permission from the Australian government to leave the country for my next project. Being stuck here means staying with one of my old girlfriends.

This girlfriend's son (Daniel) lives with her. Daniel has been cart shaving for a few years now. As men often do, the son and I got talking about shaving. Daniel told me that he hates shaving as it was always giving him skin irritation. Well, of course I had to give him advice on how to solve his problem.

My first thought was to introduce Daniel to SR shaving. That thought didn't last long as his mother threatened to do me harm if I did. We compromised and I offered to teach Daniel the basics of DE shaving.

Yesterday morning I introduced Daniel to the Ming Shi 2000S adjustable with a London Bridge blade, one of my Chinese guaranteed genuine badger hair synthetic brushes and Arko soap.

All went well. Daniel performed a single-pass WTG shave on setting 1 (the mildest). All went well and the red stuff staying on the right side of his skin. Daniel was surprised with the closeness of the shave and absolutely no irritation. The same was done this morning but on setting 2 with similar results.

Tomorrow he will do his first two-pass shave; WTG on setting 3 and ATG on setting 2. Once Daniel is comfortable with that, he can start on the full three-pass routine.

Today Daniel went out and bought his own brush and shaving cream. He also ordered his own Ming Shi 2000S directly from China.

Another monster in the making!

Last edited:
I'm currently stuck in Far North Queensland waiting to permission from the Australian government to leave the country for my next project. Being stuck here means staying with one of my old girlfriends.

This girlfriend's son (Daniel) lives with her. Daniel has been cart shaving for a few years now. As men often do, the son and I got talking about shaving. Daniel told me that he hates shaving as it was always giving him skin irritation. Well, of course I had to give him advice on how to solve his problem.
You have saved another soul. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom