What's new

Have all premium synthetic brush makes switched to the G5A?

I have a 24mm G5A knotted brush in a @Graydog handle and a 25mm Muhle STF knot in a 2022 Contributors handle by @Rudy Vey. I enjoy both but I prefer the 25mm Muhle STF.

Brushes G5A and STF.jpg

. . . my STF is more greyish. . .
My STF from last month (photo below) has gray-white tips. I'd call the color of the base below the dark band an ivory/white rather than yellow. I've seen a photo of my new one en route and that shows a similar knot.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 31
My STF from last month (photo below) has gray-white tips. I'd call the color of the base below the dark band an ivory/white rather than yellow. I've seen a photo of my new one en route and that shows a similar knot.
Yes, that looks more yellow than mine, but less than the Omega. Still, I think the fibres are noticeably finer and less wavy than a G5 knot. The fibres look like my STF from three years ago, notwithstanding a small colour difference.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Yes, that looks more yellow than mine, but less than the Omega. Still, I think the fibres are noticeably finer and less wavy than a G5 knot. The fibres look like my STF from three years ago, notwithstanding a small colour difference.
I have only a G5C on hand, but the fibers are definitely thicker than the Muehle. My micrometer says the Muehle is about 0.04 -0.05 mm or 40-50 microns, the G5C is 0.1 mm or 100 microns, a badger hair I measured (Shavemac two-band silvertip) is 0.09 mm or 90 microns. Human hair is, as far as I know, about 70 microns.

Yes, the base of the hair close to the plastic cup has a slight yellowish hue, in the attached picture is a muehle 25 mm STF on the right and the G5C on the left.
IMG_2928.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have only a G5C on hand, but the fibers are definitely thicker than the Muehle. My micrometer says the Muehle is about 0.04 -0.05 mm or 40-50 microns, the G5C is 0.1 mm or 100 microns, a badger hair I measured (Shavemac two-band silvertip) is 0.09 mm or 90 microns. Human hair is, as far as I know, about 70 microns.

Yes, the base of the hair close to the plastic cup has a slight yellowish hue, in the attached picture is a muehle 25 mm STF on the right and the G5C on the left.
View attachment 1633252
I think the pictures shows how much thicker the G5C fibers are.

Thanks all for the posts. Wonder how the MiG compares, maybe somewhere in the middle. APShaveCo says it has finer hair throughout (compared to G5), while the G5 tapers at the tips. The STF has to be finer still. Oh, and if you guys say you see yellow, than I should get my eyes checked. :biggrin1:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, it’s just my opinion. Many others seem to like them. I thought it was a truly detestable shaving experience. Worst brush of any kind that I’ve ever used, by a very large distance.

The problem was that the knot is extremely springy. I think they made the fibres extra wavy to make the brush splay better, but it is still hard to splay it and when you do it is always trying to spring back. It’s fighting you all the time and you have to keep pressure on it. Not a relaxing lathering experience at all. I just hated the brush.

The Mühle feels softer, splays quite well for a synthetic, very pleasant to use. Here’s a link to the comparison I posted for these four brushes, and how I rank them. But as I say, it’s just one person’s opinion and I’m no authority on brushes.

I haven’t tried the Evo 2, but the Evo Original is very soft and has never flung lather on the mirror. <eg> It was the only rival to my ESC Ultimate G4 until I got a Rudy STF and an Alpha Shaving G5”D”. My wife has “inherited “ those two brushes and just loves them.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
EC5D6524-6359-4370-8EF2-BD83523EA10D.jpeg

Titanium UHD, Mühle STF, G5A SHD

Other than the density, the Titanium UHD and Mühle STF feel similar. And the Mühle STF and G5A SHD look similar.

Have only used the Titanium UHD and G5A SHD knots and the Titanium UHD makes a better lather than I expected faster than I imagined whereas the G5A SHD cranks out much more lather than I expect. The Titanium UHD has a face feel that piercingly sings luxury like Helen Traubel as Isolde. The G5A SHD has that beguiling “feels so much like a badger while absolutely not feeling like a badger” effect on the skin.

I looked closely at the G5A and G5C.

The G5C has significantly thicker fibres than the G5A.

From the photos, it looks as though the Muhle STF has finer fibres than the G5A.

So it seems the recent STF knots have had a change of colours but the fibre is likely still unique.

I've had so many STFs over the years and I know they have gone through many changes which weren't disclosed openly by Muhle, but the good thing is that they've always been a unique fibre with the best performance and feel of synthetic brushes.

My STF is very different from the recent STF, along with the discontinued horn handle, it'll remain in my den indefinitely.

I'm back and forth about getting a G5C, but I can't imagine it performing any better than the MiG. I like the STF a little more; I have four that come from three different recent batches, and they all lather the same, so their consistency is top-notch, as is their performance. Choosing between them comes down to which handle I like on any given day. My latest is Rudy Vey's 2022 Contributor handle, probably the most comfortable, and the knot is stellar.

I'm back and forth about getting a G5C, but I can't imagine it performing any better than the MiG. I like the STF a little more; I have four that come from three different recent batches, and they all lather the same, so their consistency is top-notch, as is their performance. Choosing between them comes down to which handle I like on any given day. My latest is Rudy Vey's 2022 Contributor handle, probably the most comfortable, and the knot is stellar.

The thick fibre of the G5C means you'll get a different experience versus STF/MiG.

The face feel of the G5C is unique and I really enjoy it. I set my 24mm knot at a loft of 54mm.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
This thread is a winner for the most abbreviations and lingo 🥳

My take away:
I’m going to resist with all
My might the temptation to buy more brushes 😱

The thick fibre of the G5C means you'll get a different experience versus STF/MiG.

The face feel of the G5C is unique and I really enjoy it. I set my 24mm knot at a loft of 54mm.
Yeah, despite what I wrote above, I'll probably end up giving this one a try eventually, just because. I've seen your posted brush and the knot and loft looks really good, but Andrew tells me a 24mm knot will top out at 52mm loft; I'd have to go with the 26 to get 54, and 26mm seems too large to me for a fan -- so there are some things to work out first.

Last edited:
Reactions: nav

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My take away:
I’m going to resist with all
My might the temptation to buy more brushes

Smarter man than me. My lesson was one of them so-called fifth generation knots with any of them letters would be my best bet as a next brush because Mühle and Simpson-sourced knots require a vulgarly tall knot, but a G5♾️ can be set lower than 50mm and result in end-user enjoyment.

Yeah, despite what I wrote above, I'll probably end up giving this one a try eventually, just because. I've seen your posted brush and the knot and loft looks really good, but Andrew tells me a 24mm knot will top out at 52mm loft; I'd have to go with the 26 to get 54, and 26mm seems too large to me for a fan -- so there are some things to work out first.

I used thick nylon washers to bring the loft up. The glue base is all that is in the handle. 100% of the fibres are outside the handle.

AP Shave Co. G5A is just their name for Oumo G5 and G5C is their name for Frank Shaving G5 (a.k.a. Lather Master).

Top Bottom