What's new

Have all premium synthetic brush makes switched to the G5A?

AP Shave Co. G5A is just their name for Oumo G5 and G5C is their name for Frank Shaving G5 (a.k.a. Lather Master).
I very well might be wrong here but memory serves me that the Oumo and FS knots are made in China and its listed on the site the APShaveCo knots are made in Germany so that would negate that they are the same knots....

Reactions: nav
I very well might be wrong here but memory serves me that the Oumo and FS knots are made in China and its listed on the site the APShaveCo knots are made in Germany so that would negate that they are the same knots....
My head explodes from all these knot types. Mühle and Simpson got it right, offer 2 knots, end of story. (Simpson did some confusion with their knot renaming, but B&B seems to have figured it out)

Oumo G5 knots are made in China out of raw material made in Germany by BASF:

Frank Shaving Lather Master knots are also made in China, but raw material is from the Japan, but made in S. Korea 🤔:

Oumo G5 knots are made in China out of raw material made in Germany by BASF:

Frank Shaving Lather Master knots are also made in China, but raw material is from the Japan, but made in S. Korea 🤔:
Which is still different from what Al at APShaveCo offers as his knots are tied and sold from Germany.... Now if Oumo ordered completed G5 knots from Germany that would make them the same, right?

My personal feeling is Oumo and FS started using the G5 / G7 designation as to try and cash in on what APShaveCo was doing as everyone it seemed wanted to own a G5 knot and nothing else. Sales were obviously down for them and the G designation helped improve sales because guys thought they were buying the same knots that APShaveCo sold until it was made known that Oumo and FS knots were tied and sold in China.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
tied and sold from Germany....

I think those are the MiG knots (fibers from Thailand used in knots made in Germany).

The G5A knots Andrew sells have fibers from Germany, but I tell myself they’re made into knots in China when I have trouble sleeping. I could be wrong about that, but I’m the rightest when I say they’re better than the Omega ΞVO v1 fibers to which they’re compared on the AP ShaveCo website.

G5A adcopy MiG adcopy

This thread is a winner for the most abbreviations and lingo 🥳

My take away:
I’m going to resist with all
My might the temptation to buy more brushes 😱
Reminds me of this

but I tried a few synthetics first was horrid 2nd Plissoft form RR still to scratchy then got RV Muhle and felt like goldilocks in the 3 bears !

want to get another from him and have it mounted a touch higher for fun and difference and maybe try a 23 size ?

would like to try a MiG also :)

I pulled an old Razorock BC Silvertip synth out of the closet for a shave, just to refresh my memory. Now I remember why I put it in the closet in the first place. For the price it's fine, but it just can't compare with an STF, and it took a day away from me using my new Semogue Finest.

I pulled an old Razorock BC Silvertip synth out of the closet for a shave, just to refresh my memory. Now I remember why I put it in the closet in the first place. For the price it's fine, but it just can't compare with an STF, and it took a day away from me using my new Semogue Finest.
what is lacking?

In comparison to the G5C, MiG, and STF, the G4 knot feel less soft, more springy. They do a good job of generating lather, but in a less refined way.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
In comparison to the G5C, MiG, and STF, the G4 knot feel less soft, more springy. They do a good job of generating lather, but in a less refined way.
I thought I loved my ESC Ultimate G4 brushes.. until I used them for 7 weeks straight when we were traveling... I love the handles but both are with Rudy Vey at the moment for reknotting.

What are the differences between the G5A and G5C?

The G5A has slightly thinner fibres.
This feels a little softer on the face and I find it generates the lather a little faster versus the G5C.

The G5A is in between the STF and G5C, IME.
The STF has finer fibres but not anything like the cashmere knot, which flops over instantly. The STF is just the most awesome synth brush on the market!

The G5B is essentially an upgraded boss knot. I didn't find it anything much special.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My wife is still using and enjoying the two synths I have left. Rudy has two of my former synth brushes he's going to reknot as soon as I make a decision on the badger knots for him to install. Rudy, I didn't forget about you.. I'll be using the brush you sent me in a few minutes....... and will email you the results. ;)

She loves both my Alpha Shaving aluminum handle G5"D", as Steve Tinter calls it and the Rudy Vey Amboyna burl handle STF he turned for me. I do think that's the best synth knot I've ever used even though the Alpha Shaving FB group buy brush is a close second.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
A bajillion years later and my STF knot has finally been used.

The Mühle STF 23mm is much less dense than the G5A SHD 24mm, AP ShaveCo Titanium UHD 28mm, and Ω ΞVO version 1 28mm.

The differences in feel could be due to density in how the STF, G5A, and Titanium are packed (and I begged Andrew @apshaveco to get the lofts as low as possible so my brushes don’t tell the world I’m a pervy, degenerate tall-loft liker 🤮), but the ΞVO v1 is still the odd duck out.

What I can say is they all feel different to me and I like them all.

STF is still tops for me. I like the G5C but the MiG remains in second place. I'll be getting the v2 of it when it comes out as it should be an even closer match to the STF. It's an underrated knot as is, an excellent performer.

Last edited:
The G5C definitely does not come from Frank Shaving. While the knots look similar the feel is vastly different as I’ve used both. Their “G7” is an attempt to look like they’ve done something different when they’ve just put together a rather scrubby knot that isn’t really an upgrade on anything in my opinion.

The STF also uses different fibres from the G5A just putting that out there for clarity as I sifted through this thread.

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom