What's new

Have all premium synthetic brush makes switched to the G5A?

I've noticed over the last 12 months or so, that the Muhle STF knots look like they are now the G5A fibres.

More recently, a few photos posted of the Simpson chubby 2 synth also look like the G5A fibre.

The omega Evo 1.0 I had also was just like the G5A.

My Muhle STF from 2018/19 looks (and feels) totally different to the current [G5A-like] knot.

lasta

Blade Biter
Is G5A the latest and greatest?

To be honest, I'm a little disenchanted by synthetics. After trying 5, the ol Tuxedo knot is still hard to beat, and even that is just so so.

The G7 is even stiffer/springier than synthetics 10 years ago.

I tried a G7 and was underwhelmed. I skipped over the rest of the G-line (though remain curious about the G5C) and got a MiG. That one is broadly similar to the current STF XLs, with more density, and comes within shouting distance of the Muhle's softness.

Is G5A the latest and greatest?

To be honest, I'm a little disenchanted by synthetics. After trying 5, the ol Tuxedo knot is still hard to beat, and even that is just so so.

The G7 is even stiffer/springier than synthetics 10 years ago.

The G5A is great but no way is it better than the original STF fibre!
My Muhle STF is still the best brush I've ever used!

The G7, like most synthetics, is sensitive to glue bumps. A G7 without a large glue bump is a really awesome knot.
A large glue bump or low loft render it fairly useless.

I tried a G7 and was underwhelmed. I skipped over the rest of the G-line (though remain curious about the G5C) and got a MiG. That one is broadly similar to the current STF XLs, with more density, and comes within shouting distance of the Muhle's softness.

I've heard good things about the MiG. It's on my wishlist.

lasta

Blade Biter
The G5A is great but no way is it better than the original STF fibre!
My Muhle STF is still the best brush I've ever used!

The G7, like most synthetics, is sensitive to glue bumps. A G7 without a large glue bump is a really awesome knot.
A large glue bump or low loft render it fairly useless.

I've heard good things about the MiG. It's on my wishlist.
Thanks nav!

I guess I can pause on finding a better synthetic. The Muhle is a decent brush, slightly less dense than other synthetics but I still find it too much buckle and spring for me.

Thebtuxedo lathers perfectly, but on my journey to find a less springy easier splaying synthetic, I still found nothing...

I'll get back to my boars now, haha.

• Cheers
Reactions: nav
I've noticed over the last 12 months or so, that the Muhle STF knots look like they are now the G5A fibres.

More recently, a few photos posted of the Simpson chubby 2 synth also look like the G5A fibre.

The omega Evo 1.0 I had also was just like the G5A.

My Muhle STF from 2018/19 looks (and feels) totally different to the current [G5A-like] knot.
Very interesting. I did not realize there was a shift in fibre for the Muhle. My Rudy Vey Muhle 25mm was made in October 2022 and is currently my overall favorite brush. I say that as a primary bowl or hybrid face latherer (pre-developing much of the lather in a bowl). I do find my Brad Sears 2 band somewhat more effective at traditional face lathering (non hybrid lather mode). I believe Rudy periodically orders batches of knots, so I have no idea the actual vintage of the knot fibre in my copy.

I wonder if @Rudy Vey might be able to share some perspective on the Muhle knot fibre history?

Reactions: nav
Very interesting. I did not realize there was a shift in fibre for the Muhle. My Rudy Vey Muhle 25mm was made in October 2022 and is currently my overall favorite brush. I say that as a primary bowl or hybrid face latherer (pre-developing much of the lather in a bowl). I do find my Brad Sears 2 band somewhat more effective at traditional face lathering (non hybrid lather mode). I believe Rudy periodically orders batches of knots, so I have no idea the actual vintage of the knot fibre in my copy.

I wonder if @Rudy Vey might be able to share some perspective on the Muhle knot fibre history?

I'm sure Muhle still produce the knot but it looks like they've switched to the G5A fibre.

The knot construction by Muhle can't be faulted. They really understand the characteristics the STF knot should have as they have executed this consistently.

You can see a clear difference between the current knot and my older STF knot.
(I'm away from home and this is the only photo I have)

Screenshot_2023-02-09-12-37-04-902_com.facebook.katana~(1).jpg

The STFs (v2) I've gotten since the first of the year have what feels like very fine fibres; I don't recall how they compare to my old v1. They're obviously of very high quality, with the look and feel unlike any other synth I've tried. (I haven't tried the Wald.)

I'd also like to hear what Rudy has to say about the knots.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

As long as I use these knots from Muehle, I have not seen any significant changes. I also asked them if they have changed anything (sometime ago there was talk about different version on the shaving fora) - but they say nothing has changed, and that there are no V1 or V2. I believe them.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My ΞVO 1.0 and Titanium UHD (Simpson’s Platinum for non-Simpsons) feel wicked different than G5A to me. ΞVO 1.0 is so much better than I’d ever deserve, but feels nothing like the other two fibers to me.

Should be getting a Mühle STF soon. Will confirm against my G5A when I do.

The STFs (v2) I've gotten since the first of the year have what feels like very fine fibres; I don't recall how they compare to my old v1. They're obviously of very high quality, with the look and feel unlike any other synth I've tried. (I haven't tried the Wald.)

I'd also like to hear what Rudy has to say about the knots.

As long as I use these knots from Muehle, I have not seen any significant changes. I also asked them if they have changed anything (sometime ago there was talk about different version on the shaving fora) - but they say nothing has changed, and that there are no V1 or V2. I believe them.

My ΞVO 1.0 and Titanium UHD (Simpson’s Platinum for non-Simpsons) feel wicked different than G5A to me. ΞVO 1.0 is so much better than I’d ever deserve, but feels nothing like the other two fibers to me.

Should be getting a Mühle STF soon. Will confirm against my G5A when I do.

I’m glad Mühle hasn’t changed their STF knot. I thought the G5 knot was good but certainly not as good as the Mühle.

Please see these pics, consisting of my friend's recently purchased Muhle olive wood STF, a Rudy Vey STF (could be a graydog) and an Evo v1.

They all seem to use the same fibre as my G5A.

My Muhle STF knot/fibre looks completely different.

Screenshot_2023-03-09-11-56-13-689_com.facebook.orca.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-12-21-44-20-441_com.opera.browser.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-09-22-07-01-315_com.facebook.katana.jpg

thombrogan

My eyes aren’t so good. Would you please mail them over for tactile evaluation?

If you’re seeing what you’re seeing, KIKC has a similar looking synthetic for $12.09usd

From amazon
AFA8C5D9-F378-4BF5-B877-098A3D7119E8.jpeg

My eyes aren’t so good. Would you please mail them over for tactile evaluation?

If you’re seeing what you’re seeing, KIKC has a similar looking synthetic for $12.09usd

From amazon
View attachment 1633131

This one is fairly different.

The G5A and the knots in the pics I attached have the yellow bottom, faint black band in the middle and white top.

thombrogan

Fair enough. That has a more distinct black band. My ΞVO V1 and Titanium UHD have perpetually soft tips, but my G5A tips don’t feel as soft when dry unless I comb the knot.

It’s hard to tell if your Mühle STF looks different or not. The fibres were always sort of wavy and striped to appear like 3-band badger - just like your pics - so I’m focusing on the colour of the fibres.

Your pic of the Rudy Vey brush looks just like my Mühle STF, which is a few years old. It’s hard to tell if your olivewood Mühle has different fibres to the Rudy Vey - it looks a little more yellow in the photo but that could be a shadow.

My Omega Evo definitely has yellow colour at the bottom of the fibres, but my STF is more greyish. Horrid knot in my opinion, the Omega Evo.

Interesting, I was kicking around the idea of picking up either an Evo 2, or a Mhule STF, sounds like I should rule out the Omega. Odd as read so many threads with people praising them. Are they that bad?

Interesting, I was kicking around the idea of picking up either an Evo 2, or a Mhule STF, sounds like I should rule out the Omega. Odd as read so many threads with people praising them. Are they that bad?
Well, it’s just my opinion. Many others seem to like them. I thought it was a truly detestable shaving experience. Worst brush of any kind that I’ve ever used, by a very large distance.

The problem was that the knot is extremely springy. I think they made the fibres extra wavy to make the brush splay better, but it is still hard to splay it and when you do it is always trying to spring back. It’s fighting you all the time and you have to keep pressure on it. Not a relaxing lathering experience at all. I just hated the brush.

The Mühle feels softer, splays quite well for a synthetic, very pleasant to use. Here’s a link to the comparison I posted for these four brushes, and how I rank them. But as I say, it’s just one person’s opinion and I’m no authority on brushes.

Top Bottom