What's new

Haslinger Schafmilch Reformulated

Are any of you aware of this soap being Reformulated? I received a puck for Christmas and I was under the assumption that it had tallow. I looked online and it looks like previous versions did have tallow. It lathered up quite well and was nice and slick so no complaints about performance. I did a quick search and didn't find any mention of reformulation.

I'm posting a pic of the current ingredients.
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Angst, distress, depression, doom, disaster! Wow, Haslinger's has been a favorite for so long and tallow has been one of the differentiators from other Euro vegan soaps that are very fine performers but not quite Haslinger. If I wanted vegan, I would use Cade which is a fine vegan soap, is long lasting but perhaps a notch below Haslinger to some. Now this Soapocalypse! Is nothing sacred? Will nothing stay the same? There seems to be a general move away from tallow in European soaps. I don't know if its a safety thing but it isn't a performance benefit that I can see. Woe I tell you, Woe indeed.

I myself have a preference for tallow soaps. It is one of the reasons I put this soap on my Christmas list. I have only shaved with it once. So far I like the performance, it is already a step above MWF in my book. It's sad to see another fine tallow based soap be changed to a vegan formula. I have other vegan soaps I like so it's not a complete deal breaker for me. I just had an expectation that it had tallow.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Wow, that's distressing, potassium tallowate used to be up top in the ingredients. I don't remember peanut oil in the original, either.

Oh well, the world is always changing.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Substantial changes. I got this about 6 months ago.

Thanks for posting the old ingredients, Jim. I do see the peanut (arachis hypogaea) now.

Should have stocked up six months ago. I see a market for "old style" tallow pucks emerging. :001_rolle

I emailed them about the tallow question. They are closed until January 8th. I noticed in their catalog that they do not include the Shafmilch soap.

I myself have a preference for tallow soaps. It is one of the reasons I put this soap on my Christmas list. I have only shaved with it once. So far I like the performance, it is already a step above MWF in my book. It's sad to see another fine tallow based soap be changed to a vegan formula. I have other vegan soaps I like so it's not a complete deal breaker for me. I just had an expectation that it had tallow.

What company did you order this from? I wonder if some of the U.S. companies still have old stock with tallow.

If there are stocks of the “original” out there, I see all those vendors out of stock by the end of the day;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very bad news. I've taken to grinding Schafmilch down and mixing it with a ground down puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat. I'm going to have to stock up on a few pucks so I have enough for years to come. I don't understand why they would change the formula when it is such a successful and well liked product.

Sucks! Why would they do that?! I'm assuming that would flow through the rest of the line. Wish I'd stocked up more.

Interesting change. Probably financially motivated? Or perhaps they lost their source of tallow?

The old formula lathered up great and shaved wonderfully, but I didn't like it because of the scent. Very cloying to me. OK for a shave or two but for me it grew old very quickly.

Just sayin', many fine tallow soaps available. I am also a tallow-preferred kind of guy. You can't go wrong with CRSW Select or Mike's Natural . . .

I have no idea where it was ordered from. It was a gift.

This is disappointing to be sure as Haslinger is my favorite. Haivng said that, I do have confidence in Haslinger as an organization and can't see them putting a poor performer on the market. I already have a bunch of Haslinger tallow in the stash. I might try and pick up a puck of the new vegan version and see how it compares. I'm sure their will be some differences but I will be surprised if it isn't an excellent product. Fingers crossed....

Top Bottom