What's new

Has Captains Choice Improved Scent Longevity?

My only complaint about Captains Choice the first and only time I purchased it is the scents only last about 5 minutes compared to other brands. IMO if a scent isn't subtle but last for several hours it is a waste of my money and time to apply it.

I ask whether they have improved the longevity because I actually really like everything about it but the longevity of the scent. If they have done something that makes it last longer I want to try their aftershave's and soaps again.

Mine last a few hours this morning. Try a sample from maggards before committing if you want to give it another whirl.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

Aftershave splash is supposed to be subtle and normally does not last long

Here is a run down:

99992BEC-70FC-43CD-8317-22D80EF502F8.jpeg

Aftershave was never meant to be a cologne or higher as the concentration of essential oils used to make it are kept low, keeping it low also keeps the cost down but the biggest benefit to a splash is the healing aspects of it after shaving.

Most guys will match the splash to a cologne and be good, some like me just put on a splash and are done and if it lasts more than a few hours I’m good but most don’t, some splashes like Trumpers Spanish Leather last a really long time but it’s like 5x the cost of your average splash so you will have to find ones that have a lasting scent but the longer it last usually equates t higher cost

I have a lot of aftershaves and CC is among my most fleeting scent, not worth it
unless it has some nice ingredients for the face. I quit buying aftershaves that contained
little more than witch hazel, alcohol and a light moisturizer. There are plenty of good ones
available that have better ingredients and longevity.

I have a lot of aftershaves and CC is among my most fleeting scent, not worth it
unless it has some nice ingredients for the face. I quit buying aftershaves that contained
little more than witch hazel, alcohol and a light moisturizer. There are plenty of good ones
available that have better ingredients and longevity.

I’m curious—what are your favorites?

I’m curious—what are your favorites?
I just got a bottle of Proraso Red a couple weeks ago, I really like it for both face feel and scent. Regardless of
what after shave I use I preface it with an anti wrinkle cream/moisturizer from ROC or Neutrogena, issue with
that is my face is naturally oily and I live in the hot humid gulf coast region. I often use the obligatory Lucky Tiger or
Thayer's witch hazel. I have a few Razo Rocks and PAA aftershaves. The RR's smell great but don't have the quality ingredients of Wm Neuman or Chatillon Lux. The PAA aftershaves I have are too sweet for my liking but have a few
good soothing ingredients. Henri et Victoria's Cognac & Cuban Cigars has a great scent, a little sweet from the bottle but dries down nice. I'm trying to find a B&M and T&S scent profile that I may like, and I've seen good reviews on
Australian Private Reserve after shaves. I have a couple of CRSW's post shave lotions that are nice but haven't tried the splashes yet. I have been wet shaving for about two years and think that I already have a lifetime supply of various soaps and aftershaves so I'm going to be pretty selective of future acquisitions.

Let’s not forget that scents,“strength”, and “longevity” are also partially dependent on factors unique to each individual - sensory perception, absorption, interaction between AS and body oils, etc.

Let’s not forget that scents,“strength”, and “longevity” are also partially dependent on factors unique to each individual - sensory perception, absorption, interaction between AS and body oils, etc.
True dat, but CC Sandalwood is about as fleeting as Lucky Tiger is to me. And LT is supposed to be that way. My CC
aftershave was a small sample in a plastic container that I've had for a while and that could explain the short longevity. I purchased a full bottle of Proraso Red which I really like so I'm good for now. If there are better sandalwoods out there I sure would like to try them.

I only use aftershaves that fade quickly. I have 4 bottles of Captain's Choice aftershaves because the scents ARE gone in 30 minutes or less and it leaves my face feeling great. If I wanted a longer lasting scent I'd use an EDT or Cologne, or an aftershave like Aqua Velva. While I love the scent of AV, it NEVER goes away. I've even cut AV with 3-4 parts witch hazel and it's still too strong and long lasting.

I only use aftershaves that fade quickly. I have 4 bottles of Captain's Choice aftershaves because the scents ARE gone in 30 minutes or less and it leaves my face feeling great. If I wanted a longer lasting scent I'd use an EDT or Cologne, or an aftershave like Aqua Velva. While I love the scent of AV, it NEVER goes away. I've even cut AV with 3-4 parts witch hazel and it's still too strong and long lasting.

Great summary! For some, the 30 minutes or so that Captains lasts is its selling point. Others might head over to PAA when looking for a splash that borders on cologne. To answer the OP’s question, no Captain hasn’t modified the formula to last longer. They have made a conscious decision to go this route. Some will be drawn to it, others turned away.

Great summary! For some, the 30 minutes or so that Captains lasts is its selling point. Others might head over to PAA when looking for a splash that borders on cologne. To answer the OP’s question, no Captain hasn’t modified the formula to last longer. They have made a conscious decision to go this route. Some will be drawn to it, others turned away.

Finally, someone who gives a clear direct answer and it's the last post. LOL

I've found that PAA, WSP, and Sterling last pretty well for me. I prefer to buy things by scent profile and I do have some colognes and of course they last well but the initial price is what keeps me from buying more of them. I only use a small amount of cologne when I do as I don't want to be one of those people who smell like they marinated overnight - something important to me because I have asthma - I've had asthma attacks from people who wear enough to clear a room.

Quick on topic question...

Some of the aftershaves I have dissipate remarkably quickly, even when using the matching soap. I understand the difference between aftershaves and cologne and EdT's, but I prefer a little longer scent trail without causing anyone an asthma attack...

Had anyone experimented with leaving the lid off a bottle of aftershave a couple of days? I would think a little of the alcohol would evaporate, leaving a slightly more concentrated product. I did that a while back by inadvertently losing the lid for a bottle of Mustgo Real Classic and I would have sworn it got progressively stronger, and thicker, as time went on.

Any thoughts?

DCJ
Raytown MO

Quick on topic question...

Some of the aftershaves I have dissipate remarkably quickly, even when using the matching soap. I understand the difference between aftershaves and cologne and EdT's, but I prefer a little longer scent trail without causing anyone an asthma attack...

Had anyone experimented with leaving the lid off a bottle of aftershave a couple of days? I would think a little of the alcohol would evaporate, leaving a slightly more concentrated product. I did that a while back by inadvertently losing the lid for a bottle of Mustgo Real Classic and I would have sworn it got progressively stronger, and thicker, as time went on.

Any thoughts?

DCJ
Raytown MO
You will lose much the scent as well as alcohol. They are volatiles too.

FWIW, in the quest for longevity, you are far better off looking at cologne or edt’s. They are usually much higher quality scents anyhow. There are plenty of very affordable options.

Best Wishes

Aftershave splash is supposed to be subtle and normally does not last long

Here is a run down:

View attachment 933214

Aftershave was never meant to be a cologne or higher as the concentration of essential oils used to make it are kept low, keeping it low also keeps the cost down but the biggest benefit to a splash is the healing aspects of it after shaving.

Most guys will match the splash to a cologne and be good, some like me just put on a splash and are done and if it lasts more than a few hours I’m good but most don’t, some splashes like Trumpers Spanish Leather last a really long time but it’s like 5x the cost of your average splash so you will have to find ones that have a lasting scent but the longer it last usually equates t higher cost

Great diagram!! I work in a ‘fragrance free’ environment, so transient scents are a plus during the work week.

The Clubman line like original, bayrum etc...last pretty long for me and they are really inexpensive, I also have Trumper Spanish leather and I really love that scent and it’s pretty lasting but not very inexpensive and from what I’ve been told Trumper is dropping there AS line completely

Top Bottom