What's new

Has anyone seen, or tried this razor?

This morning, I was at my local Dollar General picking up some twin blade carts that fit my Trac II, and found this:
$IMG_0351.jpg

$IMG_0350.jpg

It cost $3.00, and the blades are made in Korea. I wonder if they are Dorcos. That being said, I'm not a fan of lube strips but those on the Dollar Genera Trac II compatible are not to me objectionable, and, to me, give good shaves.

The carts on this razor cant be used in a Trac II, but they will fit, with a little fiddling on an Atra handle.
I'm curious as to haw it shaves and will try it tomorrow morning and let you know.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
It looks like a useable razor to me. Give it a try.

I can use most anything . Maybe you can too.

OK, I just gave it a try. Usually I shave in the mornings, but I have to get up earlier tomorrow morning and don't want to disturb my better half. So I shaved after a shower tonight. Soap was Haslinger Salbei, sage, with an S-brush from Omega. I face layered as usual with a rather wet lather.
This was an interesting shave. I had a fraction of the beard I have in the morning.The razor is quite light and a little pressure is required. It was noisy, much like some DE's. However, there was no tugging or pulling. In fact, I found it to produce a quite comfortable shave, no nicks, cuts, and, with my sensitive neck, no irritation. I got close to a BBS with one pass and some touch ups.

The razor is definitely a Dorco. It matches the one on their website. So even though my DG did not have carts separately available you can get them relatively cheaply from Dorco on their website.

The razor has a nice amount of space between the two blades so it rinses easily and does not clog. It definitely fits on Atra handles.
This is definitely a nice razor for a fast, comfortable shave. Would I use it to replace my injectors or DE's as a daily driver? No. But for travel, if you could figure out a way to protect the blade, it would be quite nice.

Ill probably use it he rest of the week and see how it goes. But, I really like it so far and for three bucks I really can't complain.

I have one of these I purchased from Dorco. I like using this when I cannot take a more traditional shaving system with me. I also use their six blade system from time to time. They work when you are in a rush to shave and work very well for me.

Dorco, sold everywhere, here in CRO it costs 7$ along with 20 carts in local supermarket.
Interesting enough they removed all other dorco razors along with wilkies in favor of gillette.
They say gillette white platinums are available, but last time I checked they only had pack of 50

Day two trying this DG/Dorco set up. This time I had a "day-and-one-half" beard. Previous shave with this was Monday night. So it was abut 34 hours since the previous shave.

i did my usual prep, face wash with Nivea sensitive face wash, the a wet lather with Haslinger Salbei. The shave seemed slightly smoother than the prior. No nicks or irritation. One pass and some touch ups resulting in a near BBS shave I'm really starting to like this combo. I'll try it through this weekend and onward until Isabel to bin the cart. I'll give an update tomorrow for shave 3 and maybe on Friday. Then I'll be leaving with my better half for a 14-day cruise and be taking a break from the net. I'll give an update when I return. (If I remember ��.)

A note and a quick update; Just so you know where I am coming from; I do not have a particularly dense beard. I would say it is slightly on the light side of a medium beard, but it is quite stiff and coarse.Today was shave 3 with this handle/cart. Prep was the same as shave 2. The blades have really smoothed out. One thing I have noticed is that this is a noisy cartridge. I'm hard of hearing, thank you Uncle Sam, and the blades clearly tells you that they are doing their job. The shave was excellent. Almost BBS with one pass and a touch-up. One weeper, minimal irritation (3/4 hour later it's gone) and that's it. I also like that the cartridge itself rinses cleanly and easily. stubble definitely does not clog it. Although the whole thing is very light. I'm really beginning to like this combo, especially as a travel razor.
Hopefully the price will stay this low for quite some time. Even in this combination, the carts are appreciatively cheaper than the Trac II or CVS brand carts at my local CVS. If you have an Atra handle, you may want to try these cartridges and just dispose of the handle that comes with it or keep it as an emergency/travel handle. The handle is quite comfortable.

I have one of those. Bought it for the handle since it looked like it could be used with Atra, and I had accidentally bought some off-brand cartridges thinking they were for a Sensor. I didn't care for the cartridges that came with it, OTOH I don't have good results with Dorco DE blades, so that makes sense. Since it's from Korea, pretty sure it's Dorco. Had better results with those old - as in decades - off brand cartridges.

That said, I just don't like the handle. It's the shape and the lack of weight, and the hooks that hold the cartridge didn't impress me. When I think I'll try a cartridge for a super quick shave, I never think about using it. Just one of those YMMV things.

I've been away for two weeks out of internet range taking a Panama Canal cruise. I took the razor with me to test it's longevity. The last eight shaves were made using Barbasol Sensitive. The shaves were quite smooth and comfortable through number 14. The fifteenth was suddenly miserable. It pulled and tugged like mad; entirely different from the previous shaves. So let's see I got fifteen shave from a cartridge that cost $0.50. That's $0.03 per shave. Not too bad. My shaves except for the last one were quite comfortable, close and smooth vertually BBS in two passes. No irritation and I have sensitive skin on my neck. It wouldn't be a daily shaver, but for travel I really like it. I found it to be more comfortable that with my normal travel razor a Trac II with a Dollar General twin cartridge.

Now, if I could only get a heavy weight Atra handle...

Top Bottom