What's new

Has anyone gotten a RAD killer?

Do you have a DE razor that killed your RAD?

• Yes

Votes: 107 53.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 47.0%

• Total voters
Warning: long post.

For me, it's more like RAD diminishers. After getting the Game Changer (I thought killed my RAD), my opinion about shaves/shaving changed. So, I now prioritize:

1. Smoothness (which to me means: comfortable and close without nicks, weepers, constant attention to avoid those).

2. Daily shaves that don't cause irritation (some razors cause my sensitive skin irritation on days 3+). These all tend to be very rigid designs.

3. I am frugal/cheap, so I don't want to break the bank on a $250-400 razor that MIGHT be slightly closer/better.

4. I don't want to collect or keep a rack of razors to look at and never use, so when I find something I love I keep it (although I have been in search of various handles to improve great razor heads).

That said, I have tried 20+ razors in a relatively short period of time. So, I eventually put them in categories.

Razors that diminished RAD:

RR Old Type, Gillette 1920s Old Type, Fatip Testina, Game Changer, 1930s New LC, RR MJ-90, Ming Shi (all keepers in my book, but all pretty different).

Razors that I got rid of:

EJ DE 89 (PIF), Merkur 23C (not that it was bad, but it was redundant and not better than above), RR Teck II (wife "stole")

Razors I will get rid of:

Lord Fresh L6, QShave Men's Short Handle, Fatip Retro, Nanjie, Feather Popular, and a few others

Razors on the Chopping block:

RR German 37, PAA BOCS, RR SLOC

BUT, is RAD ever dead? I don't think so. Not if you are curious about what a great shaver might perform like. Some razors, while expensive are so beloved, I can't help but wonder what they shave like.

For me, I'm still curious about:

1. Gillette New SC (and Ikon B1 copy)
2. Karve B/C plates
3. Timeless Ti SB (.68/.95)
4. Paradigm Ti
5. Blackland Dart
6. Wolfman Ti

My issue, as I suspect most people's, is there really is no way to know what razors you'll love before you use it on your face. No matter how many reviews you read.

Apologies for the super long post. As always, YMMV.

Happy shaves,
Jonathan

Resistance is useless. Once you get on to wet shaving forums and browse regularly - you are doomed.

So the Merkur 34C gave way to an EJ and then to the fatips as they started coming on the scene from Italy as makers of the original Muhle R41, then the Parker's upgraded quality, Pearl shaving razors branded by Razorock and many others, slants , open combs , vintage Gillettes, adjustables, ATT, Timeless, Rockwell , Wunderbar, Rex Ambassador , Gem style , injectors, straight razors phew list goes on ....

Currently the Merkur 34 C, Game changer , Rockwell , Karve, PAA razors are favorites and am eyeing the dart and the next gamechanger base plate !

I'll have found my RAD killer when I stop logging in to wet shaving forums - oh well !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

proxy.php

Just a question for those of you who've found a RAD killer.

What about the razor or the shave convinced you it was a RAD killer? I come up with seven options but there may be many more + combinations and variations.
  1. The shave I got with my RAD killer was consistently comfortable, close, and smooth. I was satisfied.
  2. I came to believe I couldn't get a better shave no matter what razor I used. I settled.
  3. I believe it's not about the razor but about practicing with the razor.
  4. Generally I'm a minimalist about this hobby and/or everything.
  5. This is not a hobby for me. I just want a half decent shave. Hobbyists are nuts.
  6. I decided not to spend money on razors for whatever reason. Maybe I'm a tightwad.
  7. I'd rather have a RAD killer than be killed by my wife. Ice picks to the heart are not my thing.
What say you?

No answers are right or wrong, of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Very nice list of questions. I would add

8. I was ready to have a RAD killer.​

Silly as that may sound, I think we find at least one RAD killer as soon as we are ready, and it very well may be a razor we have owned for a while. I myself am not yet ready for a RAD killer. Mind you, I already own more than one razor I could live happily with for the rest of my life. Plus, I've been disappointed enough times to know that no gear comes with a magic bullet. So it's not about better gear performance.

But we human beings are complicated and have all sorts of reasons for doing what we do. (They don't say "truth is stranger than fiction" for nothing.) In my case, I don't pretend my reasons are logical. They are personal however, so I declined to check any of the choices or give specifics. But to the extent that I understand myself at all, my reasons can be viewed as noble (my choice of course), comical, or foolish. At the end of the day what I know for sure is that I am not ready for a RAD killer. When I am, I'll be done, and it's that simple. Meanwhile, I try to look at it clearly and with good humor. FWIW, this thread has helped.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very nice list of questions. I would add

8. I was ready to have a RAD killer.​

Silly as that may sound, I think we find at least one RAD killer as soon as we are ready, and it very well may be a razor we have owned for a while. I myself am not yet ready for a RAD killer. Mind you, I already own more than one razor I could live happily with for the rest of my life. Plus, I've been disappointed enough times to know that no gear comes with a magic bullet. So it's not about better gear performance.

But we human beings are complicated and have all sorts of reasons for doing what we do. (They don't say "truth is stranger than fiction" for nothing.) In my case, I don't pretend my reasons are logical. They are personal however, so I declined to check any of the choices or give specifics. But to the extent that I understand myself at all, my reasons can be viewed as noble (my choice of course), comical, or foolish. At the end of the day what I know for sure is that I am not ready for a RAD killer. When I am, I'll be done, and it's that simple. Meanwhile, I try to look at it clearly and with good humor. FWIW, this thread has helped.

Interesting addition. I like it.

Not necessarily a “killer” as such, but after I settled on a Timeless Bronze OC, Ikon OC head on a heavy Charcoal Goods handle my RAD slowed down massively.

It’s never gone though! There’s still a number of razors I want to get my hands on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. My 1934 Aristocrat. When I am home and have shaved recently, this is my go to razor. If it has been days since a shave, I use a 1912 to knock down the beard, then switch to the ‘Crat to clean up. When traveling, I use a NEW LC that is misssing most of its plating - it is easily replaced and not much of a theft threat. I have a bunch of others, but those are what get 99% of my shave time.

Not necessarily a “killer” as such, but after I settled on a Timeless Bronze OC, Ikon OC head on a heavy Charcoal Goods handle my RAD slowed down massively.

It’s never gone though! There’s still a number of razors I want to get my hands on!

I really want to get the Bronze OC - I love the look of it - but the reports of rough shaves and aggression worry me a bit.

I really want to get the Bronze OC - I love the look of it - but the reports of rough shaves and aggression worry me a bit.

When I started out I was actively avoiding aggressive razors, my taste have changed slightly now, but paired with the right blade I find it a really comfortable shave.

The closest to it I’ve got in my collection is the Ikon OC head which I got from another forum member. I find it similar to the Timeless and it’s obviously less cost if you’re not sure about out laying a lot of money in one go. Both give me excellent shaves.

When I started out I was actively avoiding aggressive razors, my taste have changed slightly now, but paired with the right blade I find it a really comfortable shave.

The closest to it I’ve got in my collection is the Ikon OC head which I got from another forum member. I find it similar to the Timeless and it’s obviously less cost if you’re not sure about out laying a lot of money in one go. Both give me excellent shaves.

Thank you, that sounds like a good idea. Is it the B1 Deluxe stainless steel head you mean (the black one)?

No mate, it’s this one...

proxy.php

OK, thanks again. I think I might just go straight for the Timeless though, as Executive Shaving charge £19 shipping to Thailand, which is way over the top for such a small item. Connaught, by comparison, charge £2 to ship a razor head here but unfortunately they don't have the 103 in stock.

Merkur 37c Slant. I'd only tried four razors, but it was SO smooth and effective right out of the box that I just said "what the Hell" and haven't bought one since. This was over five years ago.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
OK, thanks again. I think I might just go straight for the Timeless though, as Executive Shaving charge £19 shipping to Thailand, which is way over the top for such a small item. Connaught, by comparison, charge £2 to ship a razor head here but unfortunately they don't have the 103 in stock.

Connaught really does shipping right. In my opinion we should use them when possible, voting with our dollars. Too many vendors charge too much for S&H.

Two years ago I got a Feather AS-D2. I thought it would cure my RAD. It didn't.

Then I got Timeless bronze. It didn't cure it.
Timeless .68 shared the same fate.

But when medication is not working, doctors always suggest trying a different one.
So that's what I'm doing [emoji14]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Connaught really does shipping right. In my opinion we should use them when possible, voting with our dollars. Too many vendors charge too much for S&H.

To all of you who feel that Connaught does shipping right: I would like to know what is so good about Connaught's shipping please. I neither agree nor disagree with you, but I'd like to know. FWIW I just did my first order with them, and I had to choose between 1) free shipping without tracking or 2) paying 18.xx British pounds for tracked Royal Mail. To be fair, the package is very heavy - a very large supply of blades. Still, I'd like to know what is so good about Connaught's shipping. -- Thanks.

To all of you who feel that Connaught does shipping right: I would like to know what is so good about Connaught's shipping please. I neither agree nor disagree with you, but I'd like to know. FWIW I just did my first order with them, and I had to choose between 1) free shipping without tracking or 2) paying 18.xx British pounds for tracked Royal Mail. To be fair, the package is very heavy - a very large supply of blades. Still, I'd like to know what is so good about Connaught's shipping. -- Thanks.
So the shipping cost would always greatly increase with weight. Not so much with dimension of the package (I think).
With many others you would just get flat rate. But Connaught would actually take package weight and dimensions into consideration and with small package (as is usually the case with shaving) the shipping would be rather low. Maggard is another such example.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom