What's new

Hart Steel razor's on great sale, could not resist

What an awful shame to hear this. Often a once great brand dies this way. I can think of several brands of tools in particular that were bought out and then run into the ground. I have three Hart razors that will never leave me and they all shave wonderfully. The last was bought in 2013.
P1090016.JPG

I heard such good things about Hart razors I really wanted to try one. Sad to say my Gold Dollar shaves better than the Hart does. I suspect the temper is bad and softer at the edge than at the spine. That is why it won't shave or hold an edge at 16 degrees without microchips. What is worst is I think they know it and simply decided to unloaded this inventory. Too bad their quality control is now gone as is their customer service. I sent Classic an email yesterday asking for help. I have not heard back from them. Their phone says that due to CV19 they only do email. (Except they never answer). I will give them a few more days to make it right and if not just do a charge back to try to get my money back.

I heard such good things about Hart razors I really wanted to try one. Sad to say my Gold Dollar shaves better than the Hart does. I suspect the temper is bad and softer at the edge than at the spine. That is why it won't shave or hold an edge at 16 degrees without microchips. What is worst is I think they know it and simply decided to unloaded this inventory. Too bad their quality control is now gone as is their customer service. I sent Classic an email yesterday asking for help. I have not heard back from them. Their phone says that due to CV19 they only do email. (Except they never answer). I will give them a few more days to make it right and if not just do a charge back to try to get my money back.

you won't hear back, and eventually they'll reply that it's your fault. that's the Shave Network's MO, and has been for at least 5 years. I'd go for a refund through your payment method if you're still in the window. that's your best shot at a reasonable outcome.

Kelbro

I had read a lot of favorable reviews on Hart razors and that is why I purchased one. I only paid $132 for the razor plus a $20 upgrade for Cocobolo scales. That is about half the normal price for the razor. I would have been satisfied if the razor had some cosmetic deficiencies that warranted the reduced price, but I expected a razor that shaved well after honing. If I had paid $300 for the razor, I would have been outraged.

The grind on my Hart had deep scratches that went all the way into the bevel. None of my other razors, including Gold Dollars I purchased to practice honing, have scratches as deep as this razor. It looked like the grinding was done on an extra coarse wheel. It was sold as a "satin finish" razor; they never would have been able to polish a blade with such deep scratches.

Although I do not know the history of my razor, my suspicion the razor was a previous return and CS cut the price in an attempt to recover a portion some of their investment. The only razors on sale were "satin finish". Did they have similar scratches? I have no idea.

When I first received the razor, there were microchips in the edge. I fully anticipate having to retouch a factory edge, but I have never seen microchips. I killed the edge to remove the chips and then tried to hone the blade using one layer of tape as recommended by Hart. Every time I went to a finishing hone, whether synthetic or natural, I got additional microchips and had to start over. The chipping occurred even with light pressure on the hones.

I was finally able to get a decent shave from the razor by setting the bevel without tape to remove some of the scratches and then honing a secondary bevel with two layers of tape on top of the first one. With two layers of tape, I no longer got microchips. However, with the less acute bevel, the edge is not as sharp as I would like for my tough beard, but I no longer get nicks and cuts when shaving.

The Hart is still in my razor rotation, but it is my least favorite shaver. I get Great shaves from all my other razors, vintage or modern. Even the Gold Dollar razors I honed from factory dull to shave ready give closer, more comfortable shaves. I expected more from a "made in USA" razor, even one on sale.

I did not attempt to return the razor, so I do not know how CS would have handled the return. I chose to keep the razor to refine my honing skills. Perhaps one day, I will obtain a finishing hone that will put a suitable edge on this razor, but by then I will have spent far more on hones than the $150 I saved purchasing the Hart on sale.

I understand that my Hart is an individual production sample and other Harts might not be like mine. However, I have read other reports of Hart O1 tool steel blades having a tendency to develop microchips, especially on high grit synthetics like the Naniwa 12K superstone. My blade certainly has that tendency.

I am not advising others to avoid Hart razors, but I would advise them to be suspicious of any razor, no matter what the brand, being sold at a steep discount.
Just so you know.. It's Dec 2020 and my new Hart razor sold at a discount @ $160 has the same issues you describe. My honing skills are good but apparently not good enough for this razor. I simply cannot get a good forget great shave ever with this Razor no matter what I do. I contacted Hart two days ago and got no reply. I even sent an email to the CEO (at least my guess of ceo@.. did not bounce) and I got nothing. No response and no phone anymore either. I could have bought a new Theirs Issard for what I payed for this razor. I can't believe I fell for this. I am considering just calling my Credit Card company and filing a dispute for poor quality product and no customer support whatsoever. Very disappointed to say the least. Classic Shaving is no longer a place I will buy from anymore.

you won't hear back, and eventually they'll reply that it's your fault. that's the Shave Network's MO, and has been for at least 5 years. I'd go for a refund through your payment method if you're still in the window. that's your best shot at a reasonable outcome.
Thanks for the info. Since its been 48 hours and still no reply I think filing a dispute is exactly what I am going to do. It might go through since I don't think these guys are even there anymore (or at least not to support customers).

If someone is out of their return window, has given up hope and would like me to take a crack at honing up one of these later models, I’d be interested in helping (Just cover all shipping) pm me.

Thanks for the info. Since its been 48 hours and still no reply I think filing a dispute is exactly what I am going to do. It might go through since I don't think these guys are even there anymore (or at least not to support customers).

you'll get their attention when you file a dispute, but not a second before. be prepared for a toxic response. that's the way they roll.

you'll get their attention when you file a dispute, but not a second before. be prepared for a toxic response. that's the way they roll.
I filed it. They are simply not responding. I suspect you are right. Want a laugh? Got an email for a review. Left an honest negative review. Guess what? It did not get posted. It appears they only allow posting of glowing reviews. Wow.

If someone is out of their return window, has given up hope and would like me to take a crack at honing up one of these later models, I’d be interested in helping (Just cover all shipping) pm me.
Thanks. I will let you know how it goes. I have honed a lot of razors and I suspect I could make it shave but not without microchips and likely not with a keen long lasting edge from what I am seeing.. I can make a spoon shave. Doesn't mean it will for long. I kind of made it shave with two layers of tape and going down to my 8K and finishing stones. But I think this is just a defective temper. The steel is no good. I have seen this before on eBay razors with bad temper.

It took almost a week but I managed to guess the email for the CEO of The Shave Network and he actually got back to me saying he will make it right and assign someone to my case. Apparently they are short staffed and flooded. If he makes it right I will post here as it is only fair.

It took almost a week but I managed to guess the email for the CEO of The Shave Network and he actually got back to me saying he will make it right and assign someone to my case. Apparently they are short staffed and flooded. If he makes it right I will post here as it is only fair.
OK.. to follow up. I sent it back to Classic Shaving and they honed up the razor and it now shaves well enough. Is it the best shave on the planet? No. But it shaves so they made it right. It is only right to post when they actually solve a customer's issue and not just gripe about when they do not. Would I buy another Hart Steel razor? No. I still was not 100% happy as the ATG pass was not as efficient as I had hoped. But it beats having a paper weight. Once the edge dies and stropping does not work I will try "The Method" and do it myself after my 30k Shapton and try the 200k balsa I hear does wonders. It is still not as keen an edge as I would like but it is passable for now.

BTW anyone know where I can get the 200k balsa thing I hear @Slash McCoy mentioned at some point.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
OK.. to follow up. I sent it back to Classic Shaving and they honed up the razor and it now shaves well enough. Is it the best shave on the planet? No. But it shaves so they made it right. It is only right to post when they actually solve a customer's issue and not just gripe about when they do not. Would I buy another Hart Steel razor? No. I still was not 100% happy as the ATG pass was not as efficient as I had hoped. But it beats having a paper weight. Once the edge dies and stropping does not work I will try "The Method" and do it myself after my 30k Shapton and try the 200k balsa I hear does wonders. It is still not as keen an edge as I would like but it is passable for now.

BTW anyone know where I can get the 200k balsa thing I hear @Slash McCoy mentioned at some point.
It's three, not just one. .5u, .25u, and .1u. The edge must already be sharp. The balsa will not make a dull edge sharp. It just takes a sharp edge and makes it impossibly sharper. The catch is, you have to do it correctly or it will not impress you.
How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop | Badger & Blade
It is long, but you need to read the whole thing.

It's three, not just one. .5u, .25u, and .1u. The edge must already be sharp. The balsa will not make a dull edge sharp. It just takes a sharp edge and makes it impossibly sharper. The catch is, you have to do it correctly or it will not impress you.
How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop | Badger & Blade
It is long, but you need to read the whole thing.
Wow that was a great thread. I am going to try this out. I already get fairly refined edges that are sharp by taking my progression from 1K (bevel set is EVERYTHING without it sharp is not possible) .. That being said I go through my Shapton glass stone progression until I hit my Naniwa 12K Super Stone then finish on my Shapton Glass 30k (which is .49 micron already). I intuitively did "The Method" without knowing it from my knife sharpening days I always look for a burr except that I then hone it away at the end on my 30K by running the apex (softly against the edge of the stone and a final set of finishing X strokes). Basically I want to try the .25 and .1 micron balsa glued to the back of my Atoma Plates (they are flat as can be). I am super interested in the edge after stropping on this. Thanks for the thread link!! I am going to buy one of your GD honed razors on eBay to compare against to see if I got it right or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom