What's new

Handlebar with a beard?

So I have a neatly trimmed full beard that's full but not real long. I'm thinking I would like to let the mustache grow and train it into a handlebar. My question though is about trimming. Any suggestions on the best way to trim my beard up to the top lip without cutting into the mustache. I'm using an electric trimmer right now, my guess would be maybe using the electric mostly but using scissors when I get close to the mustache.
Second question, I'm probably going to pick up some clubman mustache wax to start but was wondering about a better wax for later on. Does it have to be a mustache specific wax? I feel like a can of Murrays hair pomade which is pretty much petroleum jelly and beeswax would work pretty well or am I way off?

Also short beard here, along with full handlebar.

When I trim (also using an electric trimmer), I carefully trim up to the corner of each side of my mouth. And I carefully move the moustache hairs to the side with the free hand. And do so in a way so that the bread trimmer will stop and hit my finger rather than hit my moustache.

PitA, yes. But with great moustache comes great responsibility!

Clubman... never got along with it. It takes a couple hours to style my handlebar. I shave in the morning and right after my balm and facial moisturizer, I put on a base coat of "It's a Black Thang" beeswax. It's primarily beeswax and petroleum, probably a lot like Murray's but I've never tried that product. I bought it in 2003 for my head, but now I use it for my moustache.

I work the wax in with a Kent 81T comb, first along the hairs, downward, then upward, and then back down. I style the moustache into a handlebar or I let it out in an English style -- it doesn't matter because the true styling will come an hour or so after I get to work or when my moustache wax has fully softened in my pocket.

My wax of choice has been Firehouse Wacky Tacky for everyday used and as a base coat, followed by either Lockhart's or Mr. Natty's Twizzle Wax. My moustache has one side (left) that loves to lay out flat and turn my handlebar into a lazy question mark. The Lockhart's and Twizzle have given me excellent hold with minimal touchups. We shall see how they perform in the Houston summer, but I have no doubt they will outperform my Wacky Tacky as they currently are.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom