What's new

Half DE Blades Purchase

Recently purchased a few for half DE razor use. Not shavettes.
1699037492322.jpg
1699037484464.jpg
1699037474558.jpg
1699037446864.jpg
1699037423378.jpg
1699037402347.jpg

The razors I have(spelling and names not accurate)
1. Razorock Eco
2. Yaqi Tachi
3. Yaqi Zamak
4. Shield Titanium Clod Stomper

I have not tried all razors or blades yet. I have been using these for head shaving but I recently have been using them for the head face and neck, back to back, not the back. More posts to follow.

For half DE format I have the Shield Stomper, and a Robin Snap v2. I've been using them for head shaving mostly, whether DE blades snapped in half or the manufactured ones chomped nicely by the factory (I've tried the Derby Premium and Perma-Sharp you show above) I can't tell the difference on my noggin. They all shave fine. Face is a different story.

For half DE format I have the Shield Stomper, and a Robin Snap v2. I've been using them for head shaving mostly, whether DE blades snapped in half or the manufactured ones chomped nicely by the factory (I've tried the Derby Premium and Perma-Sharp you show above) I can't tell the difference on my noggin. They all shave fine. Face is a different story.
I also favor the Shield Stomper. That's where we got the Derby blades right? Mike sent me 100 free Derby Premium blades with my purchase. Maybe because I also bought the AC and Gem type. The Crown blades came from the Razorock Eco purchase (blades made by Lord). The Perma-Sharp blade worked well. The problem is all of the glue/wax on it. I could barely get the wrapper off and it was also on the cutting edge of the blade. Hopefully they aren't all that bad. I also agree that anything works on the head more or less. It's just the amount of shaves that is the question. The face is different for sure.

I bought a bunch of the Facon double edge blades. I had multiple snap in half when I tried to put them in a DE razor. I only ever tried a couple and they weren't memorable.

Maybe they were made for that purpose, but it was like the blade center cut out was just a bit off to fit in a razor.

I bought a bunch of the Facon double edge blades. I had multiple snap in half when I tried to put them in a DE razor. I only ever tried a couple and they weren't memorable.

Maybe they were made for that purpose, but it was like the blade center cut out was just a bit off to fit in a razor.
I hope they work out. They were the biggest longshot of the bunch by my estimation. The Omwah blades I was less worried about as I use their shaving gel and the blades had good reviews. I've tried them and they are my favorite so far. Also they have no glue or wax mucked onto the blade.

Well, I've already derailed my own thread. Used an iKon X3 slant razor head. A WCS 88S handle. An Astra SP blue blade. OMWAH shaving gel. For face and head. Second use of blade. Cold water. Worked well, about the same closeness and quicker than the half DE. To add, I just realized that the last time I shaved my head with a DE razor was 32 years ago. I'm showing my age. A Gillette Fatboy on #9. Don't remember the blade. Probably some barbasol canned cream.

Will get back to the half DE next time.

Last edited:
Thread derailments happen! Interesting thread, I'm looking forward to your reviews of the blades, particularly the Crown. I've found the Crown Stainless de blade is a hidden gem!

Thread derailments happen! Interesting thread, I'm looking forward to your reviews of the blades, particularly the Crown. I've found the Crown Stainless de blade is a hidden gem!
Thank you. It will be hard to judge the blades against each other. Also, it's very subjective. How well the shave goes is most important but the other factors of longevity, difficulty to remove the schmutz, cost, etc. come into play. I can't edit my original post, but I also have the Parker's:
1699374797632.jpg

This morning.
Head, face, and neck shave.
Shield Stomper razor head.
WCS 79S handle.
OMWAH blade first use
OMWAH shaving gel for head
Speik shaving cream face
Bronner's peppermint after shave rinse

Last head shave 3 days ago.
Last face shave 1 and a half days.
Shave went well. Blade sharp and smooth throughout. Close shave. No irritation. This blade could be one of the better of the bunch but I have a long way to go.

Top Bottom