What's new

H Boker & Co

Thank you greatly Sir that's very generous of you. I'm having trouble finishing with the coti. I can get it keen on slurry and as I thin the slurry it gets even keener but as I move on to water it dulls the razor pretty quickly, so I'm still working on my method. I have tried almost everything I can find on YouTube but still can't get the edge to pop hairs on my arm holding it off my skin. I have shaved off the stone but not what I call a good shave. Hopefully with some more time I can develop more skill. I don't have problems with the Eschers I own but it took time to learn those as well. Do you live in Nashville as well?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, I live in South Nashville, about 10 minutes or so from the airport. There are a few other members here from the general area as well.
I'm not sure why your stone is dulling the razor on water, maybe it's a temporary dip in keenness before ramping up the finish (just guessing really). I've read of others switching to shaving lather, water & glycerin mix and even light oil (rarely) after honing on clear water to bump up the finish. I personally have very little experience with those methods so far, though I did try using a little glycerin in the mix tonight. Not sure what effect it had on the finish yet, I still need more time honing that one.

I recently bought a harder, vintage coti from a fellow member to use as a finisher and it's working out well with water only and no pressure - probably about what your Escher does during the finish. Lots of folks finish on Thuringians with great success, those are a little out of my price range but I'd love to find one someday.

You might ask about the dulling affect on water in the Honing Forum, I'm sure the folks in there could come up with a few ideas to try. A few of them are coti fanatics and have experience with multiple samples.

Last edited:
Ok thank you very much. I live in Donelson btw and it's good to know I have fellow members in the area, I'm gonna have to keep up with you. We may pass things back and forth and try different things. I will post on this issue tomorrow and I will keep you in the loop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If it's the same place I ordered mine from you should have it just in time for Christmas :lol:
Seriously though, I ordered my 4 in late April, estimated delivery is May 31 - July 4. I guess 4 razors for $15 doesn't get Express shipping.
Same here. Glad I can shave in the meantime!

Gentlemen,

I apologise if I crash the conversation, but I saw people discussing old Boker razors and I wanted to ask if anybody with more experience than me might help me with this one:

P_20180309_193000.jpg

(I got it from Larry and I couldn't happier).

I know it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a picture of the other side, but for some weird reason I have all of them of this side only...

Thanks!

Gentlemen,

I apologise if I crash the conversation, but I saw people discussing old Boker razors and I wanted to ask if anybody with more experience than me might help me with this one:

View attachment 885488

(I got it from Larry and I couldn't happier).

I know it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a picture of the other side, but for some weird reason I have all of them of this side only...

Thanks!

Hi nico.gtf I have had a look on that razor and cannot find anything about it, but I'm sure a member must have come across one.
But it does look a good razor I would be happy with it.... Great score from Larry.

Oh just found this.
Manufactured 1837 to present. This razor prior to 1900. Back of blade almost straight with round point and double shoulder. Blade measures approximately 3inch x 11/16. On one side of shank “FEATHER WEIGHT”, on other side “H. BOKER & CO. - GERMANY - TREE LOGO”. Jimp's bottom of shank. Original hard rubber scales with Tree Logo

Last edited:
Hi nico.gtf I have had a look on that razor and cannot find anything about it, but I'm sure a member must have come across one.
But it does look a good razor I would be happy with it.... Great score from Larry.

Oh just found this.
Manufactured 1837 to present. This razor prior to 1900. Back of blade almost straight with round point and double shoulder. Blade measures approximately 3inch x 11/16. On one side of shank “FEATHER WEIGHT”, on other side “H. BOKER & CO. - GERMANY - TREE LOGO”. Jimp's bottom of shank. Original hard rubber scales with Tree Logo

Hi Ice-Man,

Thanks a lot! This morning i remembered to get a picture of the other side...

P_20180524_065517.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'm in Knoxville so howdy neighbor! That Boker is no practice razor !!

However, if you want a practice razor I'd be glad to swap with you lol.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Ice-Man,

Thanks a lot! This morning i remembered to get a picture of the other side...

View attachment 885756

yes looks like the same thing so it has hard rubber scales and is an 11/16th razor, now this razor could be 100 years old so to be honest get it honed by somebody that knows how to hone. And use it but do get a couple of gold dollars to practice on, as that razor is in fantastic condition..... Great score

I got it from Larry (Whipped Dog), so I'm still good, sooner or later I will have to take action... I 'll have to think about some practice razor, as I am planning to learn honing.
It is quite impressive thinking that I might be using something everyday that is that old, if only the razor could talk and tell its story!

I got it from Larry (Whipped Dog), so I'm still good, sooner or later I will have to take action... I 'll have to think about some practice razor, as I am planning to learn honing.
It is quite impressive thinking that I might be using something everyday that is that old, if only the razor could talk and tell its story!

If you're like the rest of us you won't be using it everyday... from time to time you'll choose it out of the several that you own. It's a sickness I tell ya! :biggrin:

As Jack above said you won't use it everyday it will come into a rotation of a few once you get use to it you will see more that you like and no doubt buy more it's a sickness we all seem to suffer but look on the big bay and look for gold dollar 66 razor they take 6 weeks to arrive and use them to practice on

I understand your point, it's my first straight razor, but I have been using DE and, sometimes, shavette for 4/5 years... and i am trying to limit myself....

I understand your point, it's my first straight razor, but I have been using DE and, sometimes, shavette for 4/5 years... and i am trying to limit myself....

Yes and a fantastic straight, the gold dollars are about 7 dollars each and fantastic straights to use to learn honing on. sooner mess one of those up, than that beauty that you have.

I started with a Dovo Best, added a few vintage razors, sold off everything but the Dovo and used that part-time along with a few DE razors when my cervical discs started flaring up. The Dovo was my only straight for well over 10 years - you can get by with one straight, two is better if you need to outsource your honing and still have one to shave with. Buying multiple razors is more about satisfying variety, curiosity and the "oooh, SHINEY!!!" urges, at least for me is has been. Whichever way you go, it's a lovely ride.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If it's the same place I ordered mine from you should have it just in time for Christmas :lol:
Seriously though, I ordered my 4 in late April, estimated delivery is May 31 - July 4. I guess 4 razors for $15 doesn't get Express shipping.
Just got it four days ago. Honed up with no problems. Shaved well - I’m impressed. Ordered a W62 from Amazon the day after and received it today. Amazon is faster than China.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I started out with a Boker I found in an “antique” shop of sorts. It is pristine so I sent it to Larry to be honed and ordered a Gold Dollar to learn to hone on and have since bought two more. They are actually good razors. Regarding honing, be sure to read @Seraphim thread on lapping film and @Slash McCoy thread on pasted balsa strops. It will have you competently honing in short order for cheap cheap cheap! Much easier to learn than stones and did I mention “cheap”?

I started out with a Boker I found in an “antique” shop of sorts. It is pristine so I sent it to Larry to be honed and ordered a Gold Dollar to learn to hone on and have since bought two more. They are actually good razors. Regarding honing, be sure to read @Seraphim thread on lapping film and @Slash McCoy thread on pasted balsa strops. It will have you competently honing in short order for cheap cheap cheap! Much easier to learn than stones and did I mention “cheap”?

The plan was that, I was not going to spend an insane amount on stones...

The plan was that, I was not going to spend an insane amount on stones...

TBH No need unless your going to buy a lot of razors, as you would need to keep setting the bevel on them. If your only going to have 2 or 3, then lapping film and a tile is the way to go just to refresh the edge...

But you can do the whole lot on film even set the bevel As Slash does.... And yes the Gold Dollar 66 razors are fantastic for the price, that's why you learn on them because they are as cheap as chips. if you mess it up bin it not a great loss if you see what we mean.....
And if you get into the straights then you can Mod the GD into stunning razors, and turn it into a work of art as most of us do.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom