What's new

Guitar players, let's see what you have!

If he does he is sitting on some cash.

No doubt about it. I saw one last March at the Nashville Guitar Show and the guy was selling it for $325K (and it wasn't even one that was highly flamed). I know the market is softer now than it has been in the past, but at one time '59's and '60's were going for close to $400K!!!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No doubt about it. I saw one last March at the Nashville Guitar Show and the guy was selling it for $325K (and it wasn't even one that was highly flamed). I know the market is softer now than it has been in the past, but at one time '59's and '60's were going for close to $400K!!!

I figured that, by now, people like Jimmy Page have bought them all (who else could afford such a thing?)

I figured that, by now, people like Jimmy Page have bought them all (who else could afford such a thing?)

I hear ya. Here are two pictures of it. It was under a glass case.... and for good reason obviously.

$lp.jpg
$lp2.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Man, that looks great. I remember around 1990 I worked a ton of overtime, and finally had the money to buy a Les Paul. It was the greatest thing since sliced bread in my eyes. My uncle was a musician, and I later found out, had a huge drug problem during that time. After visiting his mother (I lived with my grandmother), the guitar left with him (I was at work). I haven't held a guitar since.

Man, that looks great. I remember around 1990 I worked a ton of overtime, and finally had the money to buy a Les Paul. It was the greatest thing since sliced bread in my eyes. My uncle was a musician, and I later found out, had a huge drug problem during that time. After visiting his mother (I lived with my grandmother), the guitar left with him (I was at work). I haven't held a guitar since.

Oh man. Sorry to hear that. Both about your uncle and the guitar. Maybe you'll get back into it someday. I've owned a couple of Les Pauls. I've owned an '92 LP Standard and a '98 Les Paul Studio. Both played and sounded great, but you know how it is.... get bored with 'em, sell 'em, pick something else up. I'm sure I'll grab another one eventually.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh man. Sorry to hear that. Both about your uncle and the guitar. Maybe you'll get back into it someday. I've owned a couple of Les Pauls. I've owned an '92 LP Standard and a '98 Les Paul Studio. Both played and sounded great, but you know how it is.... get bored with 'em, sell 'em, pick something else up. I'm sure I'll grab another one eventually.

Maybe once I put the mortgage behind me. I have been tempted to pick up an acoustic and start working back into it.

Don't have a pic to hand but I own a number of guitars -
BC Rich JRV freak of the production line with Bare Knuckle Warpigs
80s Korean BC Rich Warlock in cherry red, Iron Gear pickups
Jackson JDR-94
Yamaha Drop 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Amp wise I run a block letter Peavey 5150 through a JCM 900 1960 lead cab. Pedals are simple enough - Boss TU-3, ISP Decimator II G String and a TC Nova Repeater

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Does he still have that '59 LP????

Sadly no. He sold it with a huge argument by my mother. I think he sold it about 1976 or 1977 to a local guy who played in a band called Too Smooth and later the group changed their name to 14k. They played a lot of gigs in Austin back in the late 70's early 80's. As far as I know he still owns the guitar. I pulled a video off YouTube a few years ago and saw him playing my dads guitar in reunion gig.

I like making stuff, working with my hands so made one guitar and a few of tube amps from scratch, lots of posts on pedal and amp building forums.

I'm from the David Lindley school of guitar collecting so a number of cheap-only-valuable-to-me electrics.

DoctorShavegood, Aaron, i've a Les Paul copy branded Austin but that'd be Austin China, anyways...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Princeton

proxy.php

proxy.php

Loosely based on a 5c1

proxy.php

proxy.php

Circuit from Wattkins.com 6u8/6aq5 tubes, last one i've finished.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

First build, Marshall 18watt Lite IIb

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Work in long slow progress, i get there when i get there!

proxy.php

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
[MENTION=89559]davent[/MENTION] is not only a chef, he's a guitar/amp maker from scratch aficionado. Dave, I bet you have a vegetable and herb garden too.

@davent is not only a chef, he's a guitar/amp maker from scratch aficionado. Dave, I bet you have a vegetable and herb garden too.

Thanks Aaron, how'd you know about the garden? It's been so mild my wife was able to find some very nice sage needed for tomorrow's planned soup, unfortunately the chives have been decimated.

dave

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Gibson ES345 from the 60's
Taylor electric classical
Martin 000 28EC (soon to be traded for a D28 authentic 1937)
Alvarez 12 string
Fender P-Bass
Carvin AG300 for the acoustics through an Aura Spectrum
Yamaha with a 15" (don't remember the model) for the electrics
I think I have a picture of the Gibson.
$IMG_2095.jpg

I like making stuff, working with my hands so made one guitar and a few of tube amps from scratch, lots of posts on pedal and amp building forums.

I'm from the David Lindley school of guitar collecting so a number of cheap-only-valuable-to-me electrics.

DoctorShavegood, Aaron, i've a Les Paul copy branded Austin but that'd be Austin China, anyways...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Princeton

proxy.php

proxy.php

Loosely based on a 5c1

proxy.php

proxy.php

Circuit from Wattkins.com 6u8/6aq5 tubes, last one i've finished.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

First build, Marshall 18watt Lite IIb

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Work in long slow progress, i get there when i get there!

proxy.php

dave

Oh man!!! Great work. Beautiful too!!!

Sadly no. He sold it with a huge argument by my mother. I think he sold it about 1976 or 1977 to a local guy who played in a band called Too Smooth and later the group changed their name to 14k. They played a lot of gigs in Austin back in the late 70's early 80's. As far as I know he still owns the guitar. I pulled a video off YouTube a few years ago and saw him playing my dads guitar in reunion gig.

Oh man. Sorry to hear that.

Wow Dave that's impressive! :thumbup1:
There's a vintage Epiphone amp that I've always wanted to build a similar cabinet of and place in my Fender guts. If I can't pull it off I'll just drive up the 401 a bit and bang on your door!

Thank you for the kind words!

The classical is based on plans i bought from Guild of American Luthiers, a 1973 J.L. Romanillos, Measured, Researched & Drawn by Kevin Aram. I believe he had it for repairs and it was owned by Julian Bream.

Used the book Guitarmaking Traditional & Technology by Cumpiano/Natelson as a build guide. French polished which hasn't stood up well where the body is in contact with mine but still plays and sounds fine. The finished pics were taken a couple years ago but i built it in the mid/late nineties before i had anything digital or the internet.

Engelmann Spruce, Indian Rosewood, Mahogany, Ebony, Sitka Spruce bracing, basswood, StewMac rosette...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks a lot!
dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom