What's new

Guitar players, let's see what you have!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
These guys are Zecoil pickups.

[puts nerd hat on]

I've been tinkering with guitars almost since I started playing (get that from my dad who is an EE). I'm always chasing the sound in my head, which is a full sound with good clarity and NO NOISE. I can't stand buzzing, it just completely kills me.

This guitar came with Tex Mex pickups which were both harsh AND noisy, so the guitar got little playing time until I started tinkering.

First pass was trying some Rose Mariposa pickups, which are standard single coils but wound to vintage specs and dirt cheap (they were $30 at the time but demand has them over $60 now). Beautiful sounding in all positions, but you still have that noise.

Second attempt was a number of Dimarzio Area series pickups. I tried the 58, 61, and 67 models. To be honest they are all kind of dull sounding (design flaw). They are "stacked humbuckers" which means they have long magnet rods going through two coils, one wound normally and the other wound in the reverse direction. They cancel noise better than standard humbuckers, but you lose clarity as the high end frequencies cancel out. This is especially bad in the 2 & 4 pickup positions as the "quack" sounds are muffled. The 67 for most people would be acceptable as it is the brightest model.

I also tried a couple other Dimarzio noiseless. One was an older Virtual Solo which is an awesome bridge pickup. Think a really fat single coil like a P90 but with good clarity and no noise. Another was a Pro Track I believe, which is supposed to be modeled after a PAF sound. It was really flat and dull sounding so I returned it.

Third try was from Wilde pickups, which were designed by the late Bill Lawrence who was a pioneer in pickup design. I tried two different sets. The first was a set of L45 single coil sized humbuckers in the neck and middle and an L90 humbucker in the bridge. These pickups are very, very bright. The L90 was a cool cross between a humbucker and single coil but it was several times louder than the other two, which were a little shrill. I could have probably played around with the wiring and electronics to make it work but I don't think I would have got to the sound in my head.

Next up was a set of more traditional L200's in the neck and middle and L298 in the bridge. These are stacked single coils but supposed to be an improvement in manufacturing and design. They have a bit more clarity but the sound is a little weak and it's still a little dull in the 2 & 4 positions. Bridge is good but not really a fat sound. Lots of compromises.

Last set to go in are Zexcoil. These are a completely unique design. Each pole piece is wound like a little pickup with the top three strings wound in one direction and the other three wound in the opposite. This means you have no noise but there are no dummy coils to cancel high frequencies. Lindy Fralin has a similar split blade design, but that's got two large pieces rather than six, so it's a different sound. The Zexcoils should sound more natural.

The models I have are the vintage 5's, which are vintage wound specs. They sound like a vintage spec Strat pickup, maybe not exactly, but really close, and with strong low end. The bridge model is higher wound which makes it sound a bit shrill to my ears, but I spoke with Scott (the owner/designer) and got a recommendation for another model to try and will do so when money and time permits. There are a lot of options and they are pretty expensive, but I think it's the best thing on the market right now for noiseless pickups.

[/nerd hat off]

Maybe you can answer a question- do you know what equipment was used on the lead guitar in Aretha Franklin's Chain of Fools? I have always loved that sound- to me it sounds kind of raunchy.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Rickenbacker 330
Hofner 5000/1 bass
Gretsch Jumbo Rancher
DiPinto Galaxie 4

Fender Rumble 100
VOX AC30
Fender Acoustasonic

Nice collection. Good to see a DiPinto made it all the way up to Alberta. Those are super cool and very well made guitars. Very much underrated in my opinion. I live outside of Philly pretty close to the DiPinto shop, so I've got a couple. A Galaxy Bass and a Mach IV. Anyone that picks them up is just blown away.

I am just starting so I picked up a Les Paul Special II "player pack" until I figure out if I will stick with it long enough to justify something better like a LP Plustop. I would like to add a semi-hollow like a Epi Dot or Wildkat, or maybe try my hand at a DIY kit. This guitar thing has piqued my A.D.

Nice collection. Good to see a DiPinto made it all the way up to Alberta. Those are super cool and very well made guitars. Very much underrated in my opinion. I live outside of Philly pretty close to the DiPinto shop, so I've got a couple. A Galaxy Bass and a Mach IV. Anyone that picks them up is just blown away.

I've seen a few DiPintos around. Mostly used. I don't they're carried in the retail stores here. Bought mine from DiPinto itself. Galaxy 4 is a great twanger for surf music. Big fan of Los Straitjackets!

$IMG_2023.JPG

Also bought a used Epiphone Viola Bass off of a buddy today.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Los Straightjackets is a great band. I have Chris DiPinto work on my guitars from time to time. If I need a new nut of a fret fixed, he's the man to see.

Maybe you can answer a question- do you know what equipment was used on the lead guitar in Aretha Franklin's Chain of Fools? I have always loved that sound- to me it sounds kind of raunchy.

According to Wikipedia, Joe South played on that track. Google shows him mostly playing a hollow body electric, and the track sounds like a humbucker on the bridge to me so that makes sense. Not sure what amp would have been used, but usually they were small tube amps like the Fender Champ.

On somewhat of a budget, I'd plug an Epiphone ES-339 into a Fender Super Champ and run it clean with a touch of reverb.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
According to Wikipedia, Joe South played on that track. Google shows him mostly playing a hollow body electric, and the track sounds like a humbucker on the bridge to me so that makes sense. Not sure what amp would have been used, but usually they were small tube amps like the Fender Champ.

On somewhat of a budget, I'd plug an Epiphone ES-339 into a Fender Super Champ and run it clean with a touch of reverb.
Thanks. I don't know why, but I have always dug the guitar in that song

Sometimes there's always just that 'one song'. Weird. Whenever I am setting and playing with dials on my amp I keep the sound of the studio cut of 'Rock Around With Ollie Vee' in my head. That one little sound that I use as a standard.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sometimes there's always just that 'one song'. Weird. Whenever I am setting and playing with dials on my amp I keep the sound of the studio cut of 'Rock Around With Ollie Vee' in my head. That one little sound that I use as a standard.
Glad you get what I'm saying. Sounds like a little reverb in there, too. Maybe done in the studio?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gGAiW5dOnKo

on edit: I generally don't like female singers, but she had it going on.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Stray Cats, while awesome in their own right, are about 30 plus years too late to be putting Rockabilly on any map. That would be like saying Stevie Ray put the blues on the map. They did a lot to bring it back around again though.

But Brian Setzer is an amazing player. I dig the vintage Roland Space Echo sitting on top of his amp in the first video.

And for the Gretsch lovers out there

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tTLS7Swia64

love the Bigsby tremolo

and the song that put rockabilly on my map

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vEtbfzMLVWU

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Cyndi did a blues album in 2010 that was amazing. What a set of pipes for a little girl. The album featured a lot of key blues guys like Charlie Musslewhite and Johnny Lang on some tracks. Give it a listen on youtube.

I can't say I like the music mostly, but as far as female singers, Cyndi Lauper is pretty incredible!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The Stray Cats, while awesome in their own right, are about 30 plus years too late to be putting Rockabilly on any map. That would be like saying Stevie Ray put the blues on the map. They did a lot to bring it back around again though.

But Brian Setzer is an amazing player. I dig the vintage Roland Space Echo sitting on top of his amp in the first video.
I said my map- I never paid any attention to that genre until then.

Cyndi did a blues album in 2010 that was amazing. What a set of pipes for a little girl. The album featured a lot of key blues guys like Charlie Musslewhite and Johnny Lang on some tracks. Give it a listen on youtube.

Yeah I liked a lot of that stuff. 'Stay' with Tony Bennett too was another terrific duet.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
ah, got it. Read that wrong.
No problem. I know exactly what you mean, though. The Stray Cats were a commercialized version of the real thing, but I still hold soft spot for them. Kind of like the Glenn Miller Orchestra and jazz/big band. Yes, others are better, but GMO helped me start to explore.

Top Bottom