What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

I didn't mean for you to shorten it. If the shorter handle is the one giving you a problem I was wondering if someone else shortened the handle to allow the cap screw to contact threads in the handle that were never reached.

I just checked all my razors and find they all have threads that start at the end of the handle but a couple of them can be pushed halfway onto the head screw before the threads grab. I'm thinking now you just have a lot of wear to the handle.

Len

You have a really nice Empire case there. It's worth the effort to reline it. Generally the set came with a gold Empire razor but Gillette mixed and matched the sets so quite a few different combinations show up. The Scroll handle razor does not have a matching case so it can be paired with any case. The Shell handle razor is what is most seen in a mixed set. The Empire razor will show up alone from time to time but they are snapped up pretty quickly so you must be always on the lookout for one. It may take you awhile to find what you're looking for but it's worth it in the long run.

Len

Thanks for the good info Len. I'll keep my eyes open for a loose scroll, or empire. I will reline the case in the mean time.
Russ

I have 2 of these sets. Both are single ring shells silver plated. The hardware of one set is in excellent shape with perfect plating on the razor while the other razor's plating is extremely thin. The cases for both are somewhat worn with 2 diffferent clasps, one a more complicated hinged affair while the other is a simple button.

My question for the experts:

I can probably handle the polishing and plating for both sets as required but I have no idea what to do about the lining. How or who can replace the worn felt structure? I guess another fair question is should these kits of mine be referbished at all or should they be left as is.

I guess another fair question is should these kits of mine be referbished at all or should they be left as is.

Just my opinion but I'd leave them as they are other than polishing the razor pieces if you just have to. The patina on these sets is what really gives them their character, since they are 95 to 100+ years old. I've got a silver floral set, a gold scroll set and the rare leather case waiting for a razor to go in it when I ever find the razor alone. I did clean and polish the gold scroll set because gold doesn't tarnish. But I didn't touch my silver floral set and won't. Just my take.. you have to do what makes you feel better about owning them. :001_smile

proxy.php

What a collection of beauty!

My question for the experts:

I can probably handle the polishing and plating for both sets as required but I have no idea what to do about the lining. How or who can replace the worn felt structure? I guess another fair question is should these kits of mine be referbished at all or should they be left as is.

Hi and welcome to B&B. I would leave the sets as is. The velvet lining in both sets look pretty good. I would leave it as is. They look better then most I've seen.

Len

Thank you for putting this together, Brian and Len! Excellent work!

I recently came across a couple of these. I posted pics here. No cases, though.

The purpose of the thread was to share as much information about the ABC razor in one thread. While most new B&B members have never heard of the ABC sets, there is a lot of confusion among most older members as well about how to identify the ABC razor and identify mis-matched sets. I just saw your post in the newbie forum and admit you have a great start.

If you look at the photo of the ABC handles above you'll see you have one I don't have, the silver Scroll. I better start looking for one.

Len

Last edited:
If you look at the photo of the ABC handles above you'll see you have one I don't have, the silver Scroll. I better start looking for one.

Len

Thanks, Len. Yes, I am pleased with the start of my collection. I did notice that mine was missing from your picture, but many more of yours are missing from my picture :wink2:. Not sure if I'll pursue the empty cases to complete the sets right now.

I saw another post about cleaning these with the baking soda/aluminum foil treatment, and ensuing debate on whether this takes away character. The Shell handle doesn't have quite the detail and relief of the other handles, so I'm leaning towards doing it. Based on the pics I posted, should I clean my Shell handle this way? Is that tarnish you see in my pics? I'm wondering if it will shine like my Scroll handle. Note: I didn't clean the Scroll, I found it that way.

Thanks, Len. Yes, I am pleased with the start of my collection. I did notice that mine was missing from your picture, but many more of yours are missing from my picture :wink2:. Not sure if I'll pursue the empty cases to complete the sets right now.

I saw another post about cleaning these with the baking soda/aluminum foil treatment, and ensuing debate on whether this takes away character. The Shell handle doesn't have quite the detail and relief of the other handles, so I'm leaning towards doing it. Based on the pics I posted, should I clean my Shell handle this way? Is that tarnish you see in my pics? I'm wondering if it will shine like my Scroll handle. Note: I didn't clean the Scroll, I found it that way.

You can keep an eye out for ABC cases with common razor mismatches. prices for these would be a lot less.

The baking soda/aluminum treatment will convert all the silver patina to bright silver. While I do that to the cap and guard I like a very light touch of polish to the high points of the handle to produce a 3D effect. It's very attractive and can be very striking on the sets with intricate detail. Look at the silver Empire and Flower handles. It looks like the highlights are on a black background.

Len

A couple of days ago, I found an ABC in a cigar box full of old stuff that I've had forever. It's a Shell pattern with heavy brassing to the handle but all the teeth are present and accounted for and straight.

Cleaned up a treat and shaves like a dream.

I know all of it came from a relative, I just don't know which one. :blushing:

I think it's a D serial, but I need to take a good picture and blow it up to be sure. :thumbup1:

A couple of days ago, I found an ABC in a cigar box full of old stuff that I've had forever. It's a Shell pattern with heavy brassing to the handle but all the teeth are present and accounted for and straight.

Cleaned up a treat and shaves like a dream.

I know all of it came from a relative, I just don't know which one. :blushing:

I think it's a D serial, but I need to take a good picture and blow it up to be sure. :thumbup1:

That's a really nice find and a great shaving razor. Take a close look at the letter in the serial number. I'll be it's a B and not a D.

Len

Not surprisingly, I'm of the same opinion as Len with regards to cleaning up these razors (and I probably got the idea from him originally anyways). I, too, think it is best to not use the baking soda/aluminum foil trick for the more ornate (i.e. Flower, Scroll, and Empire) patterns. But even with the Shell handles, a light polish by hand may be best. I used the baking soda/aluminum foil trick on the first Shell razor that I bought and I wish that I hadn't. As is to be expected, it restored the patina from the recessed portions of the design on the ball end. As such, the design doesn't pop off the background in the same way as my other ones. It by no means looks bad, but it could look better.

That's a really nice find and a great shaving razor. Take a close look at the letter in the serial number. I'll be it's a B and not a D.

Len

Yeah, I know. I can hope though. :lol:

I'll post the picture here for an opinion. :thumbup1:

But even with the Shell handles, a light polish by hand may be best.

True, but in my case, if I hadn't polished it all, it's look brass and patina. :blink:

Top Bottom