What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

The baking soda/aluminum treatment will convert all the silver patina to bright silver. While I do that to the cap and guard I like a very light touch of polish to the high points of the handle to produce a 3D effect. It's very attractive and can be very striking on the sets with intricate detail. Look at the silver Empire and Flower handles. It looks like the highlights are on a black background.

I, too, think it is best to not use the baking soda/aluminum foil trick for the more ornate (i.e. Flower, Scroll, and Empire) patterns. But even with the Shell handles, a light polish by hand may be best. I used the baking soda/aluminum foil trick on the first Shell razor that I bought and I wish that I hadn't. As is to be expected, it restored the patina from the recessed portions of the design on the ball end. As such, the design doesn't pop off the background in the same way as my other ones. It by no means looks bad, but it could look better.

OK, I'll take both of your advice and just do a light polishing by hand on the Shell handle and see how it looks. Probably better to proceed cautiously since I can't hit the undo button on 100 years.

I've posted this in another thread.

Very nice!!

Really looks like a "D" to me. No hint of the inward turn of a "B".

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

What do you think?

I don't know.

Either all of the center of the B is gone, or it is a D.

I added a little black crayon, this is what I got.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

What do you think?

My scroll razor had an old type style head but it only reads "made in Germany", no Gillette logo, no stamped number...
I am guessing this is not the original head ... or is it?:001_unsur

I'll post close ups of the head later tonight...

proxy.php

you really have to appreciate the care that went into creating such ornate shaving implements. Too bad that quality isn't present today in nearly anything.

Date Code C 276... Gillette ABC pocket silver plated maybe from 1913

Attachments

• $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 504
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 509
  • $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 501
I'm curious about the value of a recent find. A MINT (as in never used, no tarnish/oxidation/signs of use whatsoever) gold empire set with the original drug store box (complete with King Gillette $6 sticker) and velvet bag. Both the case and razor are empire style, the velvet interior is immaculate and there are no scratches or signs of use on the case.

I believe this must have been purchased as a gift for a very old man who never used it and it fell into the hands of a local antique store during estate sale.

Purchased for $32 after tax.

Photos soon!

i found mine for $2 at an antique shop!

Wow - an excellent article -- I am looking for an ABC (hopefully misidentified on eBay for $5.00 ) - and having this info helps sort out the if it is all correct. I did not realize there are three shell style handles. Knowing how to tell if the top bit is right is cool. Hard to tell if you only have one razor with no comparison, but knowing there is a difference is great.

Top Bottom