What's new

Guerlain Vetiver or L'Occitane Vetyver

They NEED to make Cade EDT.

+1000.

Although I'll mourn my Cade splash forever, they have been trying more products out of the Eau de Baux. Who knows, maybe they'll introduce a Baux splash to go with the balm.

The edt has too much vanilla for me, but that balm is some good stuff.

Here's my $.02

I have been attempting to find a new frag for myself that SWMBO approves of. She has a vary discerning nose, apparently.

Having tried both the Guerlain and the L'Occitane fragrances on her, both elicited an unhappy reaction. I think the L'Occitane stuff actually got her to jump back as if she saw a snake.

Personally, I preferred the scent of the Guerlain vetiver, but that is a moot point as far as my lady is concerned.

Surprisingly, a sample of Tom Ford's Gray Vetiver (procured from Sephora) has received her stamp of approval and in a happy twist of fate, the Tom Ford stuff is also my favorite scent of these three vetivers.

Miles, what's grey vetiver like?

Here's a link to what they have to say on Basenotes about the stuff: Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver

As for my opinion, the Grey Vetiver seems to be a lot smoother than the other two fragrances, like suave smooth. Sophisticated, maybe? Definitely strikes me as having a lot of class. The vetiver is definitely there, but it's sneaky.

You'll have to forgive my terminology, as I've not reviewed a fragrance before. Regardless, I would recommend checking the stuff out. Easy to get a sample at a Sephora in a mall. Happy hunting!

I won't buy any cologne from L'Occitane because the whole store smells so strongly that I can't actually sniff the stuff in the bottles.
That's unfortunate. Have you tried getting a test strip or a spritz on your skin and just leaving the store? I ask because they really do have some nice frags at excellent prices.

I love the smell of khus/vetiver EO, and have been very curious about these colognes after reading through this thread. I stopped in my local Sephora and was sad to learn that they did not stock any vetiver scents, nor anything else of interest to me. Luckily I found a French perfume shop in the same plaza, and the shop person was kind enough to open a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver for me to test out. Initial smell was very spicy, and after the dry-down I could smell the vetiver in there. Later on I noticed a prominent leather scent which was very pleasant. Looking forward to trying L'Occitane and Tom Ford!

EDIT: Yesterday I found the opportunity to try L'Occitane Vetyver. I thought it to be a very thick and heavy fragrance. It didn't evolve very much to my nose. Overall, the scent is too mature and sophisticated for me. I could picture this scent on an older fat cat cigar-chomping CEO, which is not a bad thing, but it's definitely not me. Also, something in the scent reminds me of a perfume that my mother used to wear. Again, not a bad thing, just not for me.

The really good news is that my L'Occitane shop had something like eight bottles of CADE splash on display. :w00t:

Last edited:
Have any of you gents tried Sue's "Very 'V'" EDT?? If so, how does it compare to some of these others mentioned (Guerlain, Tom Ford, L'Occitane, etc.)? I've only tried the SCS "Very "V'" and the Royall Vetiver, and don't know how to compare.

Thanks!

KS

p.m.a., I'd try Givenchy Vetiver and Floris Vetiver if you can find them. Givenchy has strange distribution and isn't available at your big dept. stores and online discounters whereas the Floris has been discontinued. They both have a cleaner, more refined feel to them without being watered down aquatic crap. The Floris has the more prominent Vetiver note whereas the Givenchy is more subtle. I daresay I prefer Givenchy over 90s Guerlain Vetiver, but it's a tough call.

One thing it's "Givenchy Vetyver" not "Vetiver". The only way I could try it was to order a sample from Perfumed Court as I have not seen it in any stores. Dillards and StrawberryNet list it in their catalogs online but I don't know if they have it in stock. I would call them and ask before ordering. I was lucky enough to snag a bottle on eBay for a good price.

I tried both the L'Occ and Guerlain and fell in love with the Guerlain. That's not to say that L'Occ isn't wonderful, because it is - it's just a heavier, darker scent, and I wanted something a little lighter and sweeter.

I definitely recommend wearing each frag around for at least a day before committing to one. SWMBO and I both thought that the Guerlain was longer lasting on me, and given that she preferred the Guerlain to L'Occ in the first place, it was pretty much a no-brainer.

That's not to say that L'Occ isn't wonderful, because it is - it's just a heavier, darker scent, and I wanted something a little lighter and sweeter.

Excellent comparison.

Im wearing Guerlain today and it is a better office scent. L'Occitane is excellent at night or special event with the lil' lady.

I tried both the L'Occ and Guerlain and fell in love with the Guerlain. That's not to say that L'Occ isn't wonderful, because it is - it's just a heavier, darker scent, and I wanted something a little lighter and sweeter.

I definitely recommend wearing each frag around for at least a day before committing to one. SWMBO and I both thought that the Guerlain was longer lasting on me, and given that she preferred the Guerlain to L'Occ in the first place, it was pretty much a no-brainer.

That is why I liked it so much. The L'Occ is a very dry scent, not sweet at all.

My first vetiver was L'Occitane; based on that and suggestions, I did a blind buy of Guerlain.

IMHO to this very untrained nose:

Guerlain is more subtle, somewhat soapy/barbershoppy, balanced and smells quite nice. Accessible, urban. You could wear this and not just smell good but be very safe in your choice.

L'Occitane is stronger, more woodsy/earthy, more natural smelling, spicy, and is also very good. This is a bit more challenging, and I gather smells nothing like other vetivers. I consider this a good thing.

These two do not smell alike at all. They do, however, both smell good.

Guerlain Vetiver has citrus and tobacco under the vetiver, while L'Occitane has a slightly sweet, cedar base. L'Occitane Vetyver is perfect for a night next to the fireplace with your wife. Guerlain Vetiver is more of a warm weather, sunny day work fragrance.

Mike

Top Bottom