What's new

Grumpy Old Barstools

Welcome to the new Brotherhood of Grumpy Old Barstools G.O.B for short so add it to your sig line but welcome to one and all

Welcome to the new Brotherhood of Grumpy Old Barstools G.O.B for short so add it to your sig line but welcome to one and all

I’m grumpy and middle aged, can I find refuge in this place?

I think the clothes young people wear are ridiculous and that most people don’t value quality over quantity anymore. I am in general pretty grumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure can Luecke don't forget to add G.O.B in you sig line and Welcome to the grumpy gits fold.

No I'm not, like any decent gentleman I prioritize getting my sleep, it's still early Saturday morning here. This internet thing has ruined the youth, and made everyone expect instant gratification and have totally undermined the respect for other people's needs.

So here I am all woken up, thank you very much.

Groucho Marx said that he never wanted to be member in any club that would consider a person like him as a member. A sound principle. Even so at the age of 50, I'd been unjustly hard tried by life. That I actually also have been given more out of life than most people is something I'd never admit.

Like everything else they managed to get Matthew chapter 7 wrong (that's from the holy bible you heathens, no need to thank me). I've corrected the error:
Why don't you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? A very sound principle.

I guess that you won't have me in your fancy brotherhood after this. I can't understand why people these days cant appreciate kind advice for what it is but instead take it as an insult. I guess it's due to lack of good parenting and mandatory military service. I spent years in the infantry and it turned me into the humble caring person I am today. Well it's your decision to make.

Wow... Not even going to try to compete with Polarbeard's sage words. Thanks for keeping my seat warm. Consider it occupied.

BTW - Grumpy Old Barstools is a fine name. Here are some alternatives I'm glad we didn't secumb too.

G.O.B. - Grumpy Old Belchers
G.O.F. - Grumpy Old Farts (Got to cover all of our fine habits)
G.O.B. - Grumpy Old Bast...s You get the idea.
G.O.B. - Grumpy Old Beards - My beard is never more than a day or two old...
G.O.B. - Grumpy Old Bores
G.O.B.O.B. - Grumpy Old Bag of Bones

I'm stopping now. Feel free to continue...

Hi,

Can I join?

My bonafides are 30 years as a Tool & Die maker and 23 years as a Medic. I'm pretty much retired now, but the aftereffects are still there.

Wait, maybe I'm just crazy!

I think I've been part of this mindset for many, many years. As Arne so eloquently said, today's youth seems to demand instant gratification and there's a distinct lack of consideration for others, across society in general. This was extremely clear after 9/11 when, for a few short weeks, people went out of their way to be courteous toward others. It really drove the point home, why aren't people like that all the time?

And kids walking around with their pants hanging off their butts... Come'ere Skippy! :a13: Now pull your damned pants up!

I don't want to see other people's underwear in pub(l)ic regardless of gender.

My four rules
  • You are never responsible for how other people behave, but you're always responsible for your own behaviour.
  • Always stay calm and correct. You can always spot The Looser, it's the one that looses his temper.
  • Never start a fight, but always defend yourself.
  • You can't love too much.

I say to my wife how the hell do they walk in pants when the crotch is around the knees, if only they knew what it means And Arne I love your 4 rules...…

I say to my wife how the hell do they walk in pants when the crotch is around the knees, if only they knew what it means And Arne I love your 4 rules...…

From what I understand, that state of dress (or "undress") actually started among a certain section of the prison population. A section most thugs and "Gangstas" really wouldn't want to be part of.

I don't want to see other people's underwear in pub(l)ic regardless of gender.

My four rules
  • You are never responsible for how other people behave, but you're always responsible for your own behaviour.
  • Always stay calm and correct. You can always spot The Looser, it's the one that looses his temper.
  • Never start a fight, but always defend yourself.
  • You can't love too much.

Actually, once I got my handgun carry permit (HCP in TN) in October of 2005, I started going out of my way to prevent and de-escalate confrontations whenever possible. I once had to talk a kid down after he followed me into a convenience store, screamed that he was just getting home from the war and threatened to kick my ...., you know. I think what stopped him in his tracks was that I never backed up, broke eye contact or looked concerned. Having the ability to end someone's life carries with it the responsibility to keep things from going that far. When a broken down old man stands his ground, there's usually a reason.

If faced with an opponent won't back down, one that has every intention to hurt you, there's one truth: The first real blow always win, but make sure that it's self defence.

I didn't like to write the above. I kept staring at the text for minutes feeling bad, but it is the truth. If you're too afraid to defend yourself, no matter what the cost, no one else will either. Not in school, not within the family, not in court and not in the the street.

If faced with an opponent won't back down, one that has every intention to hurt you, there's one truth: The first real blow always win, but make sure that it's self defence.

I didn't like to write the above. I kept staring at the text for minutes feeling bad, but it is the truth. If you're too afraid to defend yourself, no matter what the cost, no one else will either. Not in school, not within the family, not in court and not in the the street.

I fully agree. I honestly don't want to hurt anyone, especially a young soldier. He was obviously suffering from combat related stress and wasn't thinking clearly, he made way too many tactical mistakes charging in and confronting me like that in front of witnesses. I could tell he was having trouble adjusting to being back among the "civilized world," he was still thinking about where he'd been and ignoring where he was - that's dangerous. Luckily he stopped two steps short of having a very bad day and I was able to get through to him. Given the chance I would've bought him a case of beer, thanked him for his service and wished him well but he stormed out before I could get him calmed down enough.

I carry to protect myself and my family. I have no illusions about my physical ability and weaknesses: I'm 51 years old, disabled due to injuries and weigh in at 150lbs, I'm as far as a man can get from looking intimidating. I've never had to draw my weapon, I hope I never do but there have been a number of occasions where I've been very glad I've had it with me.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If my wife were to read through all these brotherhoods, she would assign me to this one. Even though I’m only 70 and don’t accept the “old” part of the title, I will happily accept the invitation - even though I don’t recall having ever sat on a bar stool I do recall waking under one once.

Top Bottom