What's new

Grooming Dept club

From what I’m reading and putting together...GD is a startup and is selling everything they can make. It’s not some kind of big, sophisticated marketing strategy...It’s more that demand is outstripping his limited manufacturing capabilities. Nothing more sinister than that..

This happens a lot with a lot of small startups so no surprise there. Usually these guys are just doing it part-time at the start and can't really fulfill the demand they get hit with once it becomes really popular. Mike's is a good example of that.

Pretty nice selection of other brands available also, it appears.
Does anyone know if the pricing shown (e.g. $24.99 for the first row of GD Vegan ones) is in CAD or USD??

All prices are in Canadian dollars. I found out about these guys Friday and put in an order for WK and TS and it should get here in a couple days since they are in the same province. I can't wait to try those soaps and he also has PC so I'll probably be buying a lot more from them soon.

Thanks David.
Always wonder when only thing shown is $ sign :)
They do seem to have a great selection.
Cheers, marty

I'm a big fan and just wish I had more - I'm in the UK so just watch out for ones that come up here on eBay. I have Yuzu, which is easy to like right from opening the tub, Magnolis which is strong and simple but satisfying, and Neroli di Bois which has an understated scent when lathering but a strong and rather addictive linger that really grows on you. I've seen it described as a Summer soap, but for me it's Fall - very autumnal. Floral. but more than that, with the haunting smell of walking through woods that can be so attractive.

I just snagged GD Tallow Shaving Soap, Incense & Rose and Duck Fat Shaving Soap, Mallard Kulfi. The Mallard Kulfi is still avalible at WCS for anyone interested

I just snagged GD Tallow Shaving Soap, Incense & Rose and Duck Fat Shaving Soap, Mallard Kulfi. The Mallard Kulfi is still avalible at WCS for anyone interested

A part of me wants to buy some of the Kulfi. I was already on the website, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Forget the $24 price tag (I buy Eufros, so the price isn't an issue), but I just don't want to buy a soap that (if I end up loving it) I can't count on being available again in the future with any sense of reliability. That is purely a personal hangup...

This was my first try with GD. I'm hoping, more like wishful thinking that if I love it I can purchase again. He does need to hire help because I'm hearing a lot of people are turned off to his soaps for the same reason you are

Speaking of GD does anyone have ideas for aftershaves or colognes for their Incense & Rose, and Mallard Kulfi. I wish they had matching aftershaves, they don't so what could be recommended. Any help much appreciated.Thanks

Speaking of GD does anyone have ideas for aftershaves or colognes for their Incense & Rose, and Mallard Kulfi. I wish they had matching aftershaves, they don't so what could be recommended. Any help much appreciated.Thanks

Haven't tried Incense & Rose since the 1st release didn't cure correctly, but pretty much anything with either rose or incense should pair well. Soap Smooth Cocoa Rose is the first thing that comes to mind, their Frankincense & Myrrh A/S is incredible.

This thread is for the discussion and reviews of Grooming Dept products.

Personally, I’m a big fan:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cool looking art work! Are those labels waterproof?

I had GD Tacit (non-scented beef tallow) but I traded it away. The performance & type of lather I love was spot on, but there was some gamey funk I just couldn't handle. Would love to try something from GD that is more along the lines of a cologne type.

After a week of my first time shaving with GD's Island in the Sun, Sangre de Naranja, Before the Fire, and Chypre Vert, this is what happened:
IMG_1042.jpg

No doubt about it the soap is good but the business is ridiculous. I purchased the Earl Grey Duck Fat soap on Oct 28 and here it is Dec 3 and it still isn't back in stock. How long does it take to make a batch of soap?

It will be difficult to really get rid of everything else. I have some other soaps that I am very fond of but they just don't compare how wonderful my face feels after shaving with GD. I am not one to usually get swept up in hype. But, I just don't see myself reaching for my old soaps.

I shaved with Sangre de Naranja this morning. I was very skeptical of the scent notes of Orange and Leather because it is a really odd combination. After giving it a try, the scent really works and is probably my 2nd favorite.

10 seconds of loading on the puck, 45 seconds of lathering and copious water dribbled in:

IMG_1041.jpg

I used to have some of his Ambra vegan soap, and it was great. Probably the best vegan base I’ve ever tried. It was one of the only soaps in stock on his website, then it disappeared probably forever. I still kick myself for not getting a full tub while it was available.

I’ll buy more of his stuff, but I’m kind of waiting for the availability and shipping issues to get worked out. Plus, I’m trying to use up what I have for now before buying more software.

Favorite scents right now
1. Sandalwood Fig Musk
2. Magnolia
3. Earl Gray Gelato
4. Kulfi
5. Mallard(chocolate milkshake)
6. Naranja de Sangre

The ingredients last has changed. The recent releases are different(and improved in my opinion) from the releases earlier this year and late last year.

I have absolutely loved using these soaps. They might be the best I have.

In regards to scent, here is my list of favorite to least favorite:

Kulfi
Verbrannt
Fig, Sandalwood, Musk
Naranja de sangre
After the Fire
Before the Fire
Incense & Rose
Chypre Conifère
Tao

Top Bottom