What's new

Grooming Dept club

Don't panic but FYI:
(3 hours ago)GroomingDept Wrote: I thought I'd let you know
proxy.php
For the currently available soaps on the site, once a soap is sold out, then it is not coming back, Tao is the only exception.

Just wondering if he will settle down on some scents at some point and keep some consistency to the stable. I’m sure he values feedback as to which are folks’ favorites. I would imagine as he becomes more established he will want to keep the known, quality scents available long term. That said, I don’t know that I’ve ever bought a scent twice from any soap maker so what do I know? Just saying, on a long enough timeline, we all likely appreciate the ability to fall back to scents and soap bases we know perform well without the guessing game and potential disappointment in a new scent.

Kulfi is still in-stock at West Coast Shaving

Grooming Dept Duck Fat Shaving Soap, Mallard Kulfi
I just received a tub of Kulfi from WCS this afternoon. I did a test lather with my new Paladin Churchill brush. You were right, this soap has a really pleasant cardamon and coconut smell. It just jumped to the top of my list of GD favorites.

Here is my personal list in favorite to least favorite with comments:

1. Kulfi (Amazing Scent and Cushion, coconut and cardamon)
2. Island in the Sun (Wrigley's Spearmint and Citrus, nice)
3. Verbrannt (Nice resin and pine, not overly smoky, don't be put off by label)
4. After the Fire (Lime forward with lite smoke, awesome)
5. Chypre Conifere (Cologne like scent, nice)
6. Before the Fire (Lime forward barbershop, easy to like)
7. Chypre Vert (Peachy, orange and floral jasmine, green)
8. Naranja de Sangre (Orange and Leather? works well, who would of guessed?)
9. Elan (Very strong juniper, 10 on scent scale, keeper)
10. Magnolia and Oud (OK but traded it)
11. Kolnisch (Like the lime but unpleasant lingering scent, traded it)
12. Sandalwood Fig Musk (Yuck! Buttery sweet cloying, Traded it)
13. Rose and Incense (Rose is too fem for a macho guy like me, traded ;-)

Funny how everyone enjoys different scents and has different reactions!

Last edited:
Used Wonderland for today's shave. Verbrannt was used a few days ago and Chypre Conifere will be used next. For sure they are all top notch soaps in regards to post shave feel with all of their skin food, and slickness is great, although I wouldn't say for sure better than others out there. For all of the GD soaps I have (soon to be 5) there isn't one that I instantly fell in love with. Wonderland has probably been my favorite so far. The descriptions seem to be right up by alley but smell quite a bit different than what I'd expect. It's a shame because I was hoping for a reason to BST all my soaps and just keep GD and a few others around. Just don't love the scents enough to do that. Maybe Incense and Rose will change my mind.

After getting tired of the sometimes chaotic blends of multiple scents in some of the T&S, B&M and DG soaps, I'm tending to prefer single dominant scents or simple combinations made with essential oils. This is why Yuzu, Magnolia and Neroli di Bois are so satisfying for me in the GD lineup. I hope Mohammad doesn't stray too far away from these simpler scents, because they are some of the stars of my collection. I haven't yet tried any Nanny's Silly Soaps, but Sharron has a number of single or simple scents I'd like to try out. There are some blends I like a lot, such as SV and Eufros, plus classics like PdP, and blends are great when they work. Unfortunately many just don't.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Looks like Mo has things more together on this latest run, I received a shipping notice and tracking number a few hours after I placed my order. This morning USPS shows it "in transit". Excellent.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and got After the Fire. Not that I needed another soap. I feel sort of bummed that I just bought another, but couldn't help myself. When I was just on, stock included:

Flight
Magnolia & Oud
Earl Grey Gelato (almost did that one)
Chai
After the Fire
Wonderland
Lime
Elan
Kolnisch

After getting tired of the sometimes chaotic blends of multiple scents in some of the T&S, B&M and DG soaps, I'm tending to prefer single dominant scents or simple combinations made with essential oils. This is why Yuzu, Magnolia and Neroli di Bois are so satisfying for me in the GD lineup. I hope Mohammad doesn't stray too far away from these simpler scents...

I don't believe that the three soaps that you listed use essential oils (my understanding is that he is using EOs only for one of the new lines). And the three that you listed aren't really what I would consider to be "simple scents". Here's the notes:
  • Notes of Magnolia, Petitgrain, Black Currant, Cedarwood Atlas and Incense Accord
  • Notes of Yuzu, Citrus Accord, Basil, Clove, Haitian Vetiver
  • Notes of Aldehydes, Neroli, Orange Blossom, Lemon, Orris, Guiacwood, Wood Accord

shave soap in the swap bin at the Pastuer's meet up a few months ago: THANK YOU. What a great lathering and shaving soap. I like the smell even more lathered.

BTW should I have had "whomever" in the opener?

It’s a shame someone felt the need to move this thread from the ‘soap’ section to the ‘brotherhood’ section... went from a great discussion to crickets...

It’s a shame someone felt the need to move this thread from the ‘soap’ section to the ‘brotherhood’ section... went from a great discussion to crickets...

I have never quite understood why the clubs/brotherhood section is tucked in under the “Shave of the day”. I’ve always struggled to find them.

Chypre Vert is the best soap I’ve ever used. The lather is a little thicker than the normal Janus or Primus bases.

The smell is wonderful, I can’t wait till he releases another Lusso soap!

Hi @SonofdavidS, the next Lusso soap will have the following scent profile: tobacco, whisky, and vanilla. Mohammad said he 'might' release later in December or sometime in January. A great majority of people seem to be very happy with that base, namely Coattail and Chypre Vert so far.

Hi @SonofdavidS, the next Lusso soap will have the following scent profile: tobacco, whisky, and vanilla. Mohammad said he 'might' release later in December or sometime in January. A great majority of people seem to be very happy with that base, namely Coattail and Chypre Vert so far.
That’s great to know, thanks for the heads up!

Yes. I don’t understand why this didn’t stay in the soap section. I’m finding more activity on DFS.

It went on sale today and was sold out in just over a minute. Has anybody tried it? How does it compare to the best splashes and balms?

This rejuvenating serum costs $28 for 2oz. How far does 2 oz go? I normally spend $10-15 for a 4oz balm from Stirling or Soap Commander, is Grooming Department serum worth the price?

I’m curious about this, as well. I like his soaps, and his pre-shave. (I was a tester for his pre-shave, and ordered a full tub today.) I’ve already got a big jug of Sebum Gold, which is a pricey—but very effective—post-shave serum, so I decided to pass on the Grooming serum. I also enjoy Sudsy Soapery balms and Chatillon Lux salves. Mohammad seems to have a good grip on effective soap bases, so I’ll be interested to read board reviews of his serum...

Anybody buy any new stuff from the sale on Friday? I picked up Citric and Madarin Bay soaps, and 2 of the pre-shaves.

Anybody pick up some of his post-shave serum?

I was able to get some Mandarin Bay, Citric and unscented preshave. By the time I circled back to get some post shave, it was all gone. I think he will restock next weekend.

I shaved with After the Fire this morning; slick and comfortable as always.

I find myself not reaching for my other soaps anymore which is a shame because I really liked them. I am hoping that the GD Post and Preshave products will allow me to use my sold soaps and get the same slickness and comfort.

Anybody buy any new stuff from the sale on Friday? I picked up Citric and Madarin Bay soaps, and 2 of the pre-shaves.

Anybody pick up some of his post-shave serum?

I grabbed Mandarin Bay along with the Mandarin/Cardamom and Cedarwood/Lime Preshaves.

I'd love to try the Post Shave Serums... but $28 for 2 oz is well beyond my limit.

Top Bottom