What's new

Grooming Dept club

My unscented preshave arrived today. I look forward to tomorrow's shave!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Mallard Kulfi is fantastic. The scent lingers on my face and hands all day long. It is a very strong scent. Performance seems a little better than the other GD Mallards.

I used the Eucalyptus & Spearmint this morning with Proraso Green tube. I love Proraso but sometimes the performance is not that of a top tier type soap/cream. The DG pre have turned it in to a top tier performer. The lather was almost buttery and extremely protective. I will need to use it more to give a better review. Also the scent of this is exactly that of Wrigley's Doublemint chewing gum!

I've recently been using the shave soap and pre-shave offerings from Grooming Department. So far I have been satisfied with the performance of both.

What I haven't tried, and what I can't find reviews of, is Grooming Department's post shave serum. Have any of you tried it? What are your thoughts on it?

Received my tub of Mandarin & Cardamom, anxious to try it.
IMG_0460.jpg

I honestly can't tell if my unscented preshave has made a big difference.

I used the Eucalyptus & Spearmint this morning with Proraso Green tube. I love Proraso but sometimes the performance is not that of a top tier type soap/cream. The DG pre have turned it in to a top tier performer. The lather was almost buttery and extremely protective. I will need to use it more to give a better review. Also the scent of this is exactly that of Wrigley's Doublemint chewing gum!

Buttery is a darn good comparison. Happy shaves.....
Received my tub of Mandarin & Cardamom, anxious to try it.
View attachment 949443

Follow the basic guidelines on the GD website concerning usage of the preshave. Good pointers there. Look forward to your thoughts on it. Happy shaves amigo...

So I've only used it twice, but it seems like the preshave sacrifices slickness to some extent, but improves skin protection; which is interesting, as I've always maintained that slickness is key to keeping the skin protected. I do need to try it with a known quantity soap, as I've been using it with a new puck of Citra.

Lest I be accused of being a GD fanboy, I'd say that for me, the serum is only so-so. I bought the Lemon and Black Pepper serum to use both at bedtime and at morning shave time.

I've used it many evenings and after most shaves. I've made sure that my face is damp but not wet and then apply a few drops to each side. It is absorbed fairly quickly by my skin and my skin feels softer right after application, but I don't feel much of an overall improvement to my skin. (I'm lucky that it's not too bad to begin with.)

The black pepper scent is a little more pungent than I had expected. My understanding was that the GD serums were supposed to be low-scent. I can smell the pepper for a while after and often through an AS balm or splash. I like the scent and it hasn't clashed with anything else that I've worn, it's just different than I expected.

One other thought - I generally don't use many skin products so my expectations may be too high for this product.

Overall, I'm neither excited nor disappointed by the serum. To me it's much less of a game changer than either the GD preshave or the GD soaps. I don't think it's something that I'd buy again.

Of course YMMV.
Bob

I've got the Lavender coming in both pre shave and post shave and I've heard nothing but good things about the post shave. Haven't heard to much about the pre shave but I thought I'd give it a try.
Looking forward to your thoughts on the post shave.

After using the Grooming Dept soaps almost exclusively I added the pre and post shave products to the mix. I have both in the Lavender scent. I wasn't using them every day but maybe a few days in a week. My skin was already in outstanding shape from their soaps but after using all of the products together my skin got in even better shape. This being said besides the soap, I have no data on the improvements the products have individually. I know that one or both of them made a positive difference but I can't narrow it down or tell you individually to what degree. I am curious as well though.

I think I may conduct a test soon. I'm in the middle of some testing for a soap maker but once that's done I'll give it a go. Maybe a couple weeks from now. Here's the process I'll use in case anyone else wants to give it a go in the mean time. In order to test the preshave I'd want to use it with a soap that I know has no butters or skin softeners, say Martin de Candre for example, for a week to two weeks straight I'll use a soap that doesn't have any special skin care properties to remove all of the moisture from my skin. After drying out my skin completely I'll start using just the preshave and note how my skin changes with just the preshave used with the the Martin de Candre soap. I'd then dry out my skin again by using the Martin de Candre for a week or two and then just use the Martin de Candre followed by the post shave serum. I'll compare notes that I take between the two products to see which makes a more significant difference.

This would be the only way to really tell what a difference these products make as bouncing around between different products skews the results.

After using the Grooming Dept soaps almost exclusively I added the pre and post shave products to the mix. I have both in the Lavender scent. I wasn't using them every day but maybe a few days in a week. My skin was already in outstanding shape from their soaps but after using all of the products together my skin got in even better shape. This being said besides the soap, I have no data on the improvements the products have individually. I know that one or both of them made a positive difference but I can't narrow it down or tell you individually to what degree. I am curious as well though.

I think I may conduct a test soon. I'm in the middle of some testing for a soap maker but once that's done I'll give it a go. Maybe a couple weeks from now. Here's the process I'll use in case anyone else wants to give it a go in the mean time. In order to test the preshave I'd want to use it with a soap that I know has no butters or skin softeners, say Martin de Candre for example, for a week to two weeks straight I'll use a soap that doesn't have any special skin care properties to remove all of the moisture from my skin. After drying out my skin completely I'll start using just the preshave and note how my skin changes with just the preshave used with the the Martin de Candre soap. I'd then dry out my skin again by using the Martin de Candre for a week or two and then just use the Martin de Candre followed by the post shave serum. I'll compare notes that I take between the two products to see which makes a more significant difference.

This would be the only way to really tell what a difference these products make as bouncing around between different products skews the results.
That's much more than I'd be willing to do, but I respect the effort and look forward to your results.

I use the pre shave (unscented), soap (several), and post shave (unscented) from Grooming Dept. I believe that the products that Mohammad is producing are at the top of the class!

The post shave for me does have some healing properties as well as moisturizing. Is it as much of a game changer as the pre shave and his soaps, no. Is it beneficial to be part of my routine, yes. Will I continue to use it both post shave and on days when I don't shave as a moisturizer, yes.

If your on the fence, give it a try. You may not have a wow moment but you will not be disappointed IMO.

@GlazedBoker excellent review, and after reading the thread last night I ordered the Lavender and unscented to try. I have never been a fan of pre-shave oils but I do use Proraso and Mickey Lee's on occasion so I thought it was worth a try.

This thread made me purchase the lavander and the eucalyptus spearmint pre shave.

I’m not sure if I like it. I feel I was getting better shaves without it.

I’ve used it twice. Maybe I need to use more???

This thread made me purchase the lavander and the eucalyptus spearmint pre shave.

I’m not sure if I like it. I feel I was getting better shaves without it.

I’ve used it twice. Maybe I need to use more???
How much are you using? I've found that an amount the size of a pea is about best for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I get a bit of lather as I rub in in - talking the Preshave here - and try to use just enough to generate the lather. It takes very little. I would say a good bit less than a pea-sized glob. I'm starting with after either a shower or after washing my face at the sink and with a wet face.

I think I'm doing it right and I know it's helping my shave and my skin.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom