What's new

Grooming Dept club

I used the unscented pre-shave today, along with GD Incense & Rose. I simply rubbed a pea-sized amount around my face for 60 seconds and proceeded to face lather. It most definitely improved the quality of the lather — from the first to the third pass (squeezed from my synthetic), the lather was literally the consistency of butter. I am impressed.

I’ll try it with my vintage OS soap or Tabac and gauge any differences; but whatever it has in it, it made a great GD soap even greater. Thanks, @GlazedBoker for bringing this product to our attention.

I don't know if it changed my life but the proraso white got moved to another shelf as ive been using gd preshave for a few weeks now. Scientifically i dont know what its doing but it really helps with my neck problem areas. I have to remember to not use much a tiny but does lather up.

Great that it’s working for you gents. I’m not saying that it’s a life saver or some miracle elixir but, it provides an excellent boost to ones lather with the added benefit of giving one a nicely hydrated and rejuvenating skin feel. It’s a top notch preshave and performer.....

Out of the preshaves I've tried, the GD preshave definitely works. That said, it doesn't seem to play well with my RR Tuscan Oud. Separately I have no issues, but once I combine them I have an allergic reaction (red neck and itching). I'm going to grab another soap to try the preshave with tonight and put my 3017ing on hold.

I've been using the GD Preshave several weeks now. I'm quite pleased with the results, I'm getting better lather & post shave feel. So bottom line, I like it!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Out of the preshaves I've tried, the GD preshave definitely works. That said, it doesn't seem to play well with my RR Tuscan Oud. Separately I have no issues, but once I combine them I have an allergic reaction (red neck and itching). I'm going to grab another soap to try the preshave with tonight and put my 3017ing on hold.
Sorry thats the case rr tuscan oud is a fav. I thought this pre shave didn't mix with sudsey soap blizzard. But its not the pre shave.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I've been using the pre-post & soap for a couple weeks now and my skin has never been this good , even my lady comments how much softer it is. definitely top tier stuff

I love using aftershave splashes (and colognes) that match my favorite shave soaps.

Luckily, when I got hold of Grooming Dept's Verbrannt soap, I already had the perfect match (my favorite cologne - Santa Maria Novella's NOSTALGIA). Its wonderfully masculine, and its my favorite soap/aftershave combo.

Today, thanks to a kind forum member, I got my hands on some GD Tao - and oh my word its a deliciously scented soap. So, now I'm looking for an aftershave product to match it. The scent profile of the soap is:

Grapefruit, Blackcurrant, Rhubarb, Rose, Gardenia, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ambergris and Musk.

After some research - I seem to have come up with a couple:

Black Ship Grooming Co. Captain’s Reserve After Shave Splash - scent notes: blackcurrant, bergamot, apple, pineapple, jasmine, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, and vanilla

B&M Vespers - scent notes: cranberry, cardamom, balsam, and a fern accord for a spicy-jammy-forest character. Patchouli, rose, sandalwood, and bergamot

Anyone tried those - have any advice, or suggest other aftershaves that might pair with the Tao - grapefruit, blackcurrant, sandalwood, vanilla and musk seem to be the most prominent.

Thanks in advance, and happy shaves.

I have a bottle that I bought for general use as a moisturizer. I'd say that I use it about 30% of the time in connection with a shave. I have the black pepper and lemon serum and like it although it has a little more of a scent than I expected. (Not bad - just more than I expected.)

It's a pretty good product. It is absorbed into my skin quickly and doesn't leave a greasy feeling. If used after shaving, I will apply it after I've used a balm and my face is moist. I use very little in each application.

Overall, it's something that I like enough but I don't think I'll be purchasing it again when I finish this bottle. For me, the GD pre-shave and soap seem to make a big difference in my shave and are at a different level than similar products. While the serum makes my skin smoother, I don't find it has the same differential as the other GD offerings.

I too have a bottle of the rejuvenating serum (lavender) and would not buy again. Buy yourself a bottle of jojoba oil and some essential oil in the scent you enjoy and you have yourself a rejuvenating serum. I guess I did not know what I was buying when I purchased this product because I make my own pre-shave oil and this is essentially the same. I was expecting more in the lines of a creamy balm, this is straight up oil (not their fault I didn't know the difference). The Grooming Dept serum has 5 or 6 different oils, but they are not necessary to make a good "serum".

anyone tried it yet?

I use the Rejuvenating Serum after every shave, applied sparingly, and after everything except perhaps a cologne or EDT. I too find it is absorbed quickly. I can feel it on my skin, but the feeling is difficult to describe - not greasy at any rate. I've been using the Cedarwood and Lime. I do not find much scent to it which, as it turns out, I prefer.

I also use the GD pre-shave every time I shave. It works extremely well for me - better than anything I have tried before. Even with a other soaps, if the soap was good for me to begin with, it gets better with the preshave. (None of this is meant to take away from GD soaps. I don't use them exclusively, but I am a big fan.)

It is hard for me to imagine not rebuying the pre-shave, and I will probably rebuy the Rejuvenating serum too.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Very good feedback thanks guys. Do you use it with a balm, or standalone?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I believe Jim, @Chan Eil Whiskers uses it often and thinks a lot of it.

I use it daily right after every shave. Yes, I think a lot of it.

It is difficult to get out of the container, but not too difficult. I only use maybe four drops or maybe six; actually I'm not entirely sure how much I use because of the way it comes out. Certainly I don't use much. I apply it to my still damp (not wet) face having left my face wet after rinsing the lather off and having spent a minute or three stropping my blade while my skin partially air dries.

Cremo.Serum.Preshave.480.3-9-19.JPG

Do I like it? Yes, very much. It seems much like all the Grooming Dept products which is to say it seems excellent to me. I will absolutely buy it again. One little bottle seems to be going a long way the way I use it.

Usually I apply a splash a few minutes after the Serum. Usually I then apply Cremo Face Moisturizer or Cremo mixed with a splash to make a Palm Balm. In other words, the Serum doesn't replace anything but it adds another level to my skin care, a level I very much appreciate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I use it daily right after every shave. Yes, I think a lot of it.

It is difficult to get out of the container, but not too difficult. I only use maybe four drops or maybe six; actually I'm not entirely sure how much I use because of the way it comes out. Certainly I don't use much. I apply it to my still damp (not wet) face having left my face wet after rinsing the lather off and having spent a minute or three stropping my blade while my skin partially air dries.

View attachment 961734

Do I like it? Yes, very much. It seems much like all the Grooming Dept products which is to say it seems excellent to me. I will absolutely buy it again. One little bottle seems to be going a long way the way I use it.

Usually I apply a splash a few minutes after the Serum. Usually I then apply Cremo Face Moisturizer or Cremo mixed with a splash to make a Palm Balm. In other words, the Serum doesn't replace anything but it adds another level to my skin care, a level I very much appreciate.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks much!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I use it with the pre and soap for me they work great. I will definitely be buying all my GD stuff again.
my skin has never felt this good

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’ve got the pre shave and post shave serum and they both work well for me. The pre Shave is basically a oil cream mixture that has a slight layering to it which to me was a good idea. The only thing I’ve noticed is with certain soaps it seems to diminish the lathering capabilities while other it doesn’t seem to affect at all.

The post shave serum is also a nice mixture of different molecular weight oils with different properties to address different skin issues. It’s interesting that Mo stayed away from most of the natural and essential oils that have higher Comedogenic ratings which is a basic rating system that tells you which oils will probably not only Clog your pores but may cause breakouts. Not good for people with acne or Psoriasis. He also put in Meadowfoam seed oil which is more of a waxy oil and my guess is he did that for spreadablity as well as the skin benefits. So when choosing oils to put on your skin staying low on the Comedogenic Rating system is a safer path. 0 is obviously the best rating which for example Hemp oil is rated at and 1 & 2 are very good numbers. For example Absyinion oil has a rating of 1 and Johoba oil is rated 2. While 3 is acceptable for most it can casue problems for some individuals while 4 and 5 which are the highest numbers a whole lot of people cannot tolerate directly on their skin.

So my hats off to Mo for thoughtfully developing the preshave serum.

With that said as one member earlier in the thread mentioned you could just use an oil like Johoba, Kakui nut oil or hemp for example and just add an essential oil of your choice for both scent or like in the case of lavender for its healing and calming benefits.

I always splash some Thayers witch hazel on and when my face is still damp I’ll put the serum on or a balm, a homemade oil blend or even a combo of 2 or 3 depending on what cologne I’m planning to wear that day.

Very useful post, Frank. I'd bet it could lead us to some resources for further study.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My tub of Cedarwood and Lime pre-shave just arrived, along with very generous sized samples of Flight and Citric soaps. I’m very much looking forward to trying all three.

Hello, all...

Well, I have been thinking about adding a Grooming Dept. soap to my rotation. See what all commotion is about for myself. Just curious, I guess.

I know I want a tallow-based soap. But, I was wondering...

1. What tallow formula is the best (duck, lamb, beef, cow's milk, etc.)?

2. Any one with experience with the vegan versions?

Thanks.

Top Bottom