What's new

Grip question.

I've only used my razor 15-20 times, but find myself feeling most comfortable holding it with the scales straight out no matter what part of my face I'm working on. I can move the scales about like shown in the wiki, but it just feels odd. I'm wondering if I should try getting a western style kamisori made as it seems it would be the same thing and I wouldn't have the scales moving about? Or maybe it's just some sort of subliminal AD trying to kick in?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I prefer the Kamisori blade on a stick too. Several people have cut down the tang on western straights and converted them to kamisori style...I think ladykate made a bunch, and Hobbyist Seraphim sells them once in a while too.

Or just get a kamisori already. You know you want one. :wink:

I felt the same way when I was new to straights. I am glad I stuck with learning and becoming comfortable with the razor. Now I see the value of the scales.

A couple of mistakes I made were: trying to see the blade in the mirror; there are some angles that make it is impossible to spot the blade in the mirror. I blamed it on the scales. Another mistake was shaving with a straight as I would with a DE (WTG, XTG, ATG) my beard grows in many different directions so it was very difficult to shave in the proper direction. Again I blamed the scales. Now I shave north to south on the first pass, south to north below jawline and ATG above the jawline on the second pass. This is much easier and more efficient with a straight for me.

Every fifteen shaves you'll make great improvements. I would stay stick with it.

Or just get a kamisori already. You know you want one. :wink:

They are definitely cool looking. Which translates into something I would probably hurt myself with. So far I haven't had anything but a few weepers, but I have a heck of a time keeping it sharp enough. Seems I have to hit the strop after each pass. Probably need to send it off and get the bevel reset and finished back up.

I felt the same way when I was new to straights. I am glad I stuck with learning and becoming comfortable with the razor. Now I see the value of the scales.

A couple of mistakes I made were: trying to see the blade in the mirror; there are some angles that make it is impossible to spot the blade in the mirror. I blamed it on the scales. Another mistake was shaving with a straight as I would with a DE (WTG, XTG, ATG) my beard grows in many different directions so it was very difficult to shave in the proper direction. Again I blamed the scales. Now I shave north to south on the first pass, south to north below jawline and ATG above the jawline on the second pass. This is much easier and more efficient with a straight for me.

Every fifteen shaves you'll make great improvements. I would stay stick with it.

I plan on sticking with it. I'm pretty much a WTG the XTG with my DE's. I've never been able to go ATG except on my neck up to the bottom of my jawline. It doesn't bother me that I can't see the blade in the mirror in some spots. But I use my right hand only (blasphemy I know!). I've tried my left hand several times and it wasn't pretty. It shakes a bit even when I'm not holding a razor! I seem to be able to get my whole face with just my right hand very comfortably and have just stuck with a north to south pass on everything for now.

They are definitely cool looking. Which translates into something I would probably hurt myself with. So far I haven't had anything but a few weepers, but I have a heck of a time keeping it sharp enough. Seems I have to hit the strop after each pass. Probably need to send it off and get the bevel reset and finished back up.

The angle makes a difference in terms of how the edge feels on the skin. Also, using the wrong angle can result in the edge dulling faster than expected.

My suggestions would be to strop before and after each shave. Strop until you've stropped more than enough, then strop some more. It can only improve the edge. Also, don't worry about the scales or your grip. Just do what feels right to you. I'm going to go on a limb here and say there is no such thing as the "right" way to hold a straight. Maybe it isn't conventional. Who cares? Do what works for you. I assure you the shaving police aren't going to stop by

The angle makes a difference in terms of how the edge feels on the skin. Also, using the wrong angle can result in the edge dulling faster than expected.

My suggestions would be to strop before and after each shave. Strop until you've stropped more than enough, then strop some more. It can only improve the edge. Also, don't worry about the scales or your grip. Just do what feels right to you. I'm going to go on a limb here and say there is no such thing as the "right" way to hold a straight. Maybe it isn't conventional. Who cares? Do what works for you. I assure you the shaving police aren't going to stop by

That's what I've been doing with the stropping. I figure it's my technique dulling it. I've tried about every angle it seems, but the edge doesn't seem to last any longer with any of them. I'll just keep plugging along. I've never been conventional anyway! The one thing that is throwing me off is that my glasses get in the way for pulling my skin tight and without them I can't see myself in the mirror. Heck, if I turn my head I can't see myself in the mirror with them on because my lenses have to be so small. I've learned to shave with the DE pretty much by feel and a faint blur in the mirror.

So far I haven't had anything but a few weepers, but I have a heck of a time keeping it sharp enough. Seems I have to hit the strop after each pass. Probably need to send it off and get the bevel reset and finished back up.

What kind of razor are you using (brand/model)? Some razors are known to loose their edge pretty fast, it could also be technique or a combination.

Btw. I love your avatar, nice caricature of Robert Johnson!!! One of the early and greatest bluesmen of all time and also one of the most influential musicians ever!
I guess Blooze stands for blues??? (sounds alike)

What kind of razor are you using (brand/model)? Some razors are known to loose their edge pretty fast, it could also be technique or a combination.

Btw. I love your avatar, nice caricature of Robert Johnson!!! One of the early and greatest bluesmen of all time and also one of the most influential musicians ever!
I guess Blooze stands for blues??? (sounds alike)

It's this old Case of my Great Uncles. I had it sent off to Larry at WD for honing before I used it, FWIW. I got about half a shave with it the first time (smooth) before it started feeling rough. Did what Larry suggested and it helped with the first 1/2 a shave again. That seems to be the going rate. I've got a handful of others I inherited, plus two De-Fi #34's that look new that I think I'll send off to Doc to get an edge put o them for comparison. I have a George W. near wedge that I've fooled with and actually like the feel of it better. It needs a new bevel set and everything, but after 50 years of never being used I just put it to a Swaty hone and a strop and it was as good or better than the Case.

proxy.php

...Or just get a kamisori already. You know you want one. :wink:

I agree. If you have any interest at all in kamisori, get one as your next razor. There's not much to be gained by waiting, and they're not difficult to learn. You'll end up with one eventually, so you might as well enjoy it now.

I see the purpose of a conventional grip as just to get the scales out of the way. Stop thinking of them as a handle/way of controlling the blade.
If you have the scales going straight out you end up holding them instead of the tang - and since they aren't fixed, you have less control.

You should of course do whatever feels best. But for me it was an epiphany to stop treating the scales as a handle.

I hold the razor just like this, but with the scales down from horizontal a bit so my ring finger is still on the tang. I could use it with the scales completely off I think except I need the counter weight of the scales to balance it out.

View attachment 309693

I'm a pure righty too. I'll hold it fairly conventionally except when I'm doing a XTG/ATG pass on my right cheek and jaw. then the scales are straight out, kamisori style. but as was mentioned, I don't hold the scales, I hold the blade/tang. it works for me. you do what works for you. the shave police sure haven't knocked on my door yet either.

so, go ahead and get a kami, so I can read all about it. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom