What's new

Grilling Gizmos. Smokers welcome.

Hobo starter (chimney) does the trick. I never use starter fluid, unnecessary and it affects the taste.
I prefer the smaller Weber to the standard size, I think it's easier to modulate the heat.

Another chimney fan here, I just sit mine on top of a gas burner for a few minutes to get it going before sitting it on the grate.

My favourite gizmo would have to be the iQue110, while the Weber Smokey Mountain tends to hold rock solid temps, the 110 gives that extra security.

I can set the WSM up with a couple of pastrami and then get a good nights sleep, knowing that temp won't drop.

Also really enjoy using my redhead, makes the best wings around :drool:

Next gizmo will be a new Maverick ET-733, after quite some time my ET-73 finally packed it in....

just bought a brand new weber 22.5 kettle touch one (black) and used it once,along with the chimney fire starter by weber,some weber sauces and seasonings, a stainless steel set of.. huge tongs,huge fork,huge bristle brush,huge knife...4 smaller stainless steel knives and some kob/potatoe insert things,also have that brush with a scraper,and 2 diff brushes on it for cleaning..

thinking about ordering grillgrate's with the tool....
http://www.grillgrate.com/index.php?/site/grill_grate_products

need gloves, a thermometer for food and would like to add one for the grill temp..

i want to make a smokey mountain with the weber smokey joe this way...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1jSq1qyTw
And start smoking some ribs/chicken

I came across that same video last week after googling the smokey joe.
Looked pretty simple.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I added a River Country 3 in. Dial (bimetal) thermometer to my Weber Gold One Touch, an older model which did not come with the dial thermometer as current models do. However, I did not mount it in the classic position towards the top of the dome adjacent to the top handle, but instead, mounted it low to the side and below the vent adjustment. As I use a Smokenator insert, I wanted it on the far side near the vent, but in order to not interfere with the "hook" which is directly below the vent, it had to be off set slightly. The end of the thermometer probe is about two inches above the grilling surface. I also recently bought the Thermoworks Pro BBQ kit and while using the grill level probe, at " low and slow" temps of 225-250 the River Country dial thermometer is in close correlation to the Thermoworks reading. At higher temps pf 350 and above, there is significant diversions of temps with the dial thermometer reading higher. I suspect this is to be expected and I am quite pleased with both units.

I am a gadget guy and recently purchased a new home and talked the owner into leaving the XL Big Green Egg. He did, and I am in heaven. I don't do veggies without these. Take the skewer and load it up, thread the spear into the loop on the other end and voila'- a nice flip-able circle of skewered veggies. I let the spear end of the cable hang out the lid, no more burned finger tips!

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Wire-Sta...d=1405399427&sr=1-1&keywords=firewire+skewers

I hated the crude cast iron stack vent the Green Egg came with. Rusts, doesn't hold the setting well when you burp the lid and check the food and this stainless jewel solved all that:

http://www.amazon.com/SmokeWare-Ven...313&sr=8-3&keywords=big+green+egg+accessories

Anyone use the AMZN series of smoke generators? I got the 6" tube yesterday, going to cold smoke some cheese with it this weekend. These gadgets get rave reviews on the various BBQ forums, looking forward to trying mine.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Great product, I highly recommend it! I have the 12" tube smoker, and really am impressed with its performance. It will smoke for about 5 hours if I fill it up, puts out a good amount of smoke too. I've used it for double smoked bacon, a couple of batches of cheese, and most recently nova lox, all with great results. Works great using it in both my Traeger and on the Weber kettle. The only issues I've heard of are using it along with a propane grill or smoker, it seems it can be starved of oxygen in those cases.

Great product, I highly recommend it! I have the 12" tube smoker, and really am impressed with its performance. It will smoke for about 5 hours if I fill it up, puts out a good amount of smoke too. I've used it for double smoked bacon, a couple of batches of cheese, and most recently nova lox, all with great results. Works great using it in both my Traeger and on the Weber kettle. The only issues I've heard of are using it along with a propane grill or smoker, it seems it can be starved of oxygen in those cases.

Glad to hear the positive feedback. I will be using it in my Masterbuilt electric smoker and you are correct that it can be starved of oxygen in this type of situation. I will need to pull out the wood chip loader to create a draft.

I love my Traeger grill. So much better than propane. Favorite tools would be a set of forged grill tongs and spatula by Kingsford (had them going on 20 yrs), long handled mop, side table, and a cold smoker attachment.

I use a Big Steel Keg and light it with a MAPP torch. On long cooks I hook a BBQ Guru up and just let it run. Welding gloves are a great and cheap way to handle pizza stone or anything hot.

Dang, I feel outclassed.... anyone ever use a looftlighter? http://www.amazon.com/Looftlighter-70018-Fire-Lighting-Tool/dp/B000WYY65Y It looks like a cross between a lightsaber and a curling iron, and works by blowing super-heated air over the coals to light them. I gotta say, it works amazingly well! It takes a little longer, but you don't need matches or lighter fluid.

I also LOVE these! http://www.cutleryandmore.com/charc...iTlp5wzxDfw4qpWMdGEYpyciakt6SUewHzBoC0fvw_wcB I've used beer, OJ, and pineapple juice for steaks and burgers, and haven't looked back. They're kind-of a pain to clean, but completely worth it.

I don't have any pictures of it, but briquettes aren't a thing here. It's real smoked wood that pegs the thermometer on my grill and stays lit almost forever. I'm going to have a hard time going back to briquettes!

As much as I love the flavor from charcoal or, better yet, wood, I'm lazy enough to stick with propane (Weber Genesis E-330). My brother uses the Weber chimney for his Weber kettle, and I certainly recognize it as a valuable addition. I like to think I make up for wimping out with propane by sticking with bare essentials in personal tools. After too many years cooking over professional grills in restaurants (both gas and charcoal), I have retained my personal tool preferences long after I've left the business. No gloves, no pot-holders. Gloves interfere with grip if they're thick enough to insulate; otherwise they just hold in the heat. Pot-holders would just be silly. I also stick with short tongs (around 9") of the standard steel type unless I'm dealing with ribs or maybe corn. We used to fight over who got to use the good short tongs, and I usually won because I was working the grill (busy steak restaurant where I'd frequently be turning 10 to 20 pounds of steak tips in addition to steaks, chicken breasts, and burgers). Short tongs with a solid spring = control. You get used to hot hands.

On the other hand, I'm very pleased to note that I did not see a single poster here talking about some wonderful meat fork. I don't know why these are even manufactured. They might as well call them juice removers, for that's what they do.

I did recently switch from bristles to silicone brushes. I got tired of picking bristles out of my teeth and explaining that they weren't hair, or at least not recently so. My first silicone brush head was a cheap model that fell off frequently, but I fished around and found a more solid model and like the technology.

Thanks for the thread. I've been luring here for a couple of weeks, and just ordered by first DE razor and blades. But it was this thread that convinced me to create an account and actually participate.

Dan

12-inch stainless steel skewers - Use them for grilling kabobs and holding together large coils of homemade sausage when grilling.

Thermoworks thermometers - The 'Pen, TW8060 High Tem Kit.

Big Green Egg - Air control and insulation make it a joy to use. It's a backyard conversation piece, too. Cast iron grid is great except for no charcoal access. I'd love to use a proper table instead of the little popup side tables. Close to buying some of those configurable steel grid systems. Out of the box, capacity isn't impressive but versatility is.

Utensils - My ultra long handled steel flipper looks cool but is rarely practical; OXO tongs get used for sausage mostly (I tend to do my steaks in the pan). Welcome Dan, and I guess I' the first to mention a meat fork for picking up rib racks. Tongs never do it for me with ribs.

I have not found a comfortable way to flip a brisket. I always feel awkward with whatever combination of tong, flipper, and fork I try to use. Getting it foiled and moving that pouch with a beer swishing inside of it (and me) is always stressful.

Ignition - Haven't found a lighter I like. Use fire-starter squares for lighting lump in the BGE. Use a Weber chimney for my Weber Kettle. Not sure why I don't have a single method for both grills.

I'm happy with my rib rack--not one of the ones that doubles as a roasting rack. Those never woked for me. I realize I need to stick to St Louis style spare ribs. The baby back racks are too thick for any rack I've used. The SLSSR's are thinner but so tasty.

I have to give a shout out to my meat grinder, vacuum sealer, and 15 cubic foot freezer. They play a huge role in keeping me stocked and ready for grilling and smoking.

Top Bottom