What's new

Building a smoker

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Brian's thread is what's pushing me right now to start this project. I blame you [MENTION=66099]soccerguy83[/MENTION] :glare:

Backstory

Last week-end my dad came to visit and he told me that he got a press to bend/fold metal sheets. He already has a welding machine. He probably has all the tools you can think of x2. The bummer, he's a bit far from me. However, he started telling me that he just got the press, he's very excited to make something but doesn't know what.

It got me thinking and what about a smoker? I mean, we could possibly press 1-2 cubes out of the thing, weld them, do a door and voilà. A few wheels and I'm in business...

So, having said that, he told me to send him the specs (sizes) and a drawing of what I want. I would like to build it with him but that could be difficult. I can possibly do part of it but knowing him, he will build the whole thing and bring it (he's retired).

I will possibly get some grills from the store and we will build around those.

I am not sure yet if I want a vertical device or horizontal. I, somehow, got a feeling that vertical may be more efficient but horizontal is classic. I read many (many, *many*) debates on vertical vs horizontal. I'm still not sure which is best.

I don't need something with 5 shelves where I can smoke 10 briskets. I probably need something with 2-3 shelves top as I mainly either cook burgers or steaks when I'm not smoking (which I can keep the weber for) Or I often smoke a whole chicken, turkey, pork shoulder, beef/pork ribs, well, the usual...

A vertical could be handy there if my lower grill is not too far from the coal so I can direct cook. If my 2nd or 3rd shelve is higher, than I can possibly do some indirect cooking. I believe that if it's high enough (coal vs grill) it will smoke only. Vertically seems more efficient to me as I am not loosing as much heat. However, what do I know, I never used a vertical or horizontal pit.

So, any ideas on what? I will most likely put some fire bricks in the firebox to keep it warm. I will also make a basket so it's easy to clean. I was thinking of adding a ball valve on the side to drain any drippings, fat, etc. That's pretty much it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Great idea. I say vertical just because, because, because....because of the wonderful things it does.

Either one is fine. Pick a design that looks sexy. If it doesn't smoke worth a flip it looks good sitting in the back yard.

We are going to need to see drawings...so we can tell you what to do. :001_rolle:laugh:

Luc

Staff member
I thought it was going to be the other way around but fine, let me try in ms-paint to see what I can draw...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I thought it was going to be the other way around but fine, let me try in ms-paint to see what I can draw...

I've got a horizontal and like it a lot. It's not perfect and has it's design flaws, but it puts the smoke on to the meat and that's the goal.

Here's a picture of my brother's vertical upright beast. The fire box is in the rear not pictured:

$IMG_1407.jpg

Luc

Staff member
Okay, keep in mind that the picture is not up to scale but... Here's a first draft...

Horizontal, maybe shorter between the lower shelve and the fire (red). I put a drip valve on the lower left but that will only work if all the drippings are on the left... I still need to think about that one. It's on wheel. Central fire, central chimney. A full door that will open at the front. I want the option to remove the grill if I want to, like my oven.

I added a small pig on top as this is where I will most likely smoke the meat...

Attachments

• $2016-05-13 11-08-56.jpg
    $2016-05-13 11-08-56.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 96

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Luc,

When I went to BBQ competition this past Feb. there was a guy there with a trailer mounted horizontal smoker. His smoker had a "damping" plate mounted between the firebox and the smoking chamber. It didn't matter how big or little his fire was because he could control the temperatures in the smoking chamber with the damper lever.

Luc

Staff member
Apparently up to 1/2"

You have a great Dad Luc.
There are dozens of successful designs on the market, if you are going to use it as a real BBQ and not a grill I suspect you can eliminate the compromises of needing both. One option is to gravity feed the firebox and allow yourself an opportunity to get a full nights sleep.
You mentioned a ball valve which cam make a terrific air intake regulator and an easy place to add a temp control unit if you care to.
If extending the season is a goal building a double wall box that has insulation between them will do the trick.
I would offer the suggestion of making the stack off of the side so the drips don't fall back on your meat. If you want to add a drain you can slope the bottom panel of the inside box to a drain hole that a pan can slide under.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I need to stop by there to pick up a lawn mowing hat tomorrow. Maybe I will see how thick the metal is. The thing that stops me is that a couple hundred more will get me a Kimado Joe, on which I can also grill and use as a pizza over, and not use so much fuel. Of course that would work for me, as I wouldn't be smoking a lot of stuff at any given time.

At work I have a huge commercial rotisserie horizontal to the fire box. It smokes meat. It is gas heated but we throw hickory in the by the burner and it burns and smokes.

At home I have an ugly drum and is 100% charcoal with some wood chunks. I greatly prefer the taste of the bbq from over the charcoal.

YMMV so design off your preference of flavor.

Luc

Staff member
This project is not dead yet...

A few weeks ago, Steven Raichlen posted a picture on how to make a Chinese oven out of bricks. I saved the picture and it strangely looks like a kamado...

Looking at it, I thought, maybe I could build something too with a similar design. So, off I go and I started to look at a few options. I'm a member of a French Facebook smoking forum where they post plans of homemade smokers on a regular basis (it's often the same plan but not always).

The basic idea that I have would be to have an horizontal smoker.

I will pour a concrete slab in the backyard.

I will then build a double red brick wall (standard red bricks). It seems that a double wall is recommended with a bit of air in between to insulate the oven.

I want 2 doors on it. A small one under to feed the fire and empty it. A bigger door on top put the meats that will be smoked.

I would like it to be like an oven where I can move the grills up and down. I want an option to place a ceramic slab or a water pan at the bottom right over the fire so I can still do an indirect cooking.

The top part will require a chimney with a valve so that I can choke the fire if required.

So, instead of going for an all metal smoker, I will possibly have two metal doors and that's it.

For this project to go ahead, I will 2 things
1-Move out of where I currently live into a house
2-See if I need something special from the city to build it. Since, it's not a BBQ on wheels, they may ask for a special license or tax. They may also require a specific minimum distance between the house and the oven to build it. Who knows...

That's all for now.

The top part will require a chimney with a valve so that I can choke the fire if required.

Reducing the air into the firebox can give you a cleaner cook than damping the exit.
Having some sliding doors between the firebox and the cooking chamber or a ball valve at the inlet can accomplish this.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Reducing the air into the firebox can give you a cleaner cook than damping the exit.
Having some sliding doors between the firebox and the cooking chamber or a ball valve at the inlet can accomplish this.
Thanks, I was not aware of that.

Luc

Staff member

Good to know, I will think of something...

Top Bottom