What's new

Vertical or Horizontal smoker - Charcoal only!

Interesting...

I keep looking around and saw a Char-Griller 6719 AKORN Kamado Kooker which is half the price of a green egg (if not more). Now, I know that the cheaper I go, the quicker it will fall apart (well, I think). Anyone tried that one?

Luc,

I have owned an Akorn for nearly two years. It is a double-walled, insulated kamado style cooker. I also own a Kamado Joe classic but I find myself still using the Akorn all the time. Keep it clean and covered and you will get your money out of the Akorn. A great resource for all things kamado is kamadoguru.com. Great site with great people. Sound familiar?

Pros:
Light, easy to move
Cost effective
Can produce great results just like the ceramics
Cast iron cooking grate
Standard second rack
Miserly with lump

Cons:
Not ceramic, doesn't retain hear nearly as well but still quite capable of long cooks
Should be covered when not in use. Branded cover is excellent
Benefits from user modifications to better seal the cooker. That said, there are plenty of guys who don't do any mods.
Life expectancy significantly less than ceramic
Cast iron grate

IMHO, for those who wish to dip their toes in the pool before diving in the Akorn is a great buy. I have zero plans of getting rid of mine and when Char-Griller puts their Akorn Jr. back on the market I will buy one.

Yeah, but most people don't have a welding machine laying around their house.

Yes, but EVERYONE who posts here has a search engine, and can find many other plans, most of which don't require metal working skills.

When I was growing up, we had a smokehouse on our place. It was a wooden shed about the size of an single-hole outhouse, with a section of stovepipe that led under the building and entered through the floor. It was connected to a fire pit several feet away from the shed. It turned out some of the best smoked salmon that you ever tasted.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It was a wooden shed about the size of an single-hole outhouse, with a section of stovepipe that led under the building and entered through the floor. It was connected to a fire pit several feet away from the shed.

Remind me to never use your bathroom.

Yes, but EVERYONE who posts here has a search engine, and can find many other plans, most of which don't require metal working skills.

True. I just know most people in here are like me....Too busy with family and/or work to build one. It gets put off for years and never gets made.

You can buy a prebuilt ready to smoke that afternoon set up for anywhere from $300-3000, depending on your financial situation.

I was referring to your link and suggestion, that DID require welding.

Top Bottom