What's new

Greetings from Finland

If you like mild razors you might want to check out the amazing thread researching a lot of them from @Kennyg2019. Great amount of information.
Thread 'World’s Mildest (New) Razor?' World’s Mildest (New) Razor? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/worlds-mildest-new-razor.606003/

I think what I prefer is a medium level of aggressiveness from the shaver and a medium level of sharpness from the blade. I currently only own one shaver (Muehle R96) and combined with the Muehle blades it does not aggravate my eczema. In fact, it seems to make it almost disappear. Sharper blades cause severe inflammation and spreading of the eczema. Keeping it under control is my number 1 priority in shaving. The worst thing is actually not shaving at all - after 5-6 days of no shaving and it gets major flareups and then I look like a real multi-coloured monster after shaving.

Welcome to Badger & Blade, the best rootin tootin shaving forum on the net, to send you down the rabbit hole of your dreams. 😁

Oh my gosh, you have no idea how right you are! Not only do cartridge razors clog up constantly, cause they pack 5 itty bitty blades in extreme tight formation, but they also cause razor burn, know why? This is because it has 5 blades, that means that your face is being raked 5 times per pass. And if you make more then one pass on the same spot, thats now 10 rakes across. Say hello to razor burn!

Then the razor blade inevitably goes dull, and then you have to pay 16 to 24 dollars for a 4-pack or 8-pack of blades. By the years ends, you've just spent over 100 dollars in blade cartridge packs, oops! You know how much the average costs of most DE razor blades cost? The average cost for a 10-pack tuk of DE blades, is between 0.89 to 2.00 dollars per pack.

The most expensive of the DE blades are Feathers, around 4.99 per pack, and that is still even cheaper then Gillette cartridge blade packs! Welcome to your intervention, we've just saved you from the horrors of cartridge shaving. So pat yourself on the back, for you are amazing. Again, welcome to Badger & Blade! :D
Just a friendly reminder, the site does have threads for cartridge razors, and some that are DE still use cartridges from time to time. No problem with a general 'I don't like cartridges' for reason X, but just keep in mind that there are those here that like them, and one doesn't need to throw them under the bus to make a point.

Transparency, one of the reasons I left cartridge shaving was because I had problems with clogging, and though I know it makes very little difference, I still felt bad throwing cartridges away, and then the craziness of more and more blades for more and more money. That said... some people find cartridges work just fine for them, and the way you are describing them is not really how they work, for people with sensitive skin it might be a problem, but if your face is raked, its the technique :) Some people don't mind the cost, and its okay to have them here on the site.

I'm not meaning to rain on the parade, I just know sometimes there is some tension between the cartridge vs DE crowd, and we are a big enough forum both should be able to live here. :)

Welcome. Spend your time checking things out, its pretty easy to jump in and want one of everything right away. (we call it 'acquisition disorder' :)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Just a friendly reminder, the site does have threads for cartridge razors, and some that are DE still use cartridges from time to time. No problem with a general 'I don't like cartridges' for reason X, but just keep in mind that there are those here that like them, and one doesn't need to throw them under the bus to make a point.

Transparency, one of the reasons I left cartridge shaving was because I had problems with clogging, and though I know it makes very little difference, I still felt bad throwing cartridges away, and then the craziness of more and more blades for more and more money. That said... some people find cartridges work just fine for them, and the way you are describing them is not really how they work, for people with sensitive skin it might be a problem, but if your face is raked, its the technique :) Some people don't mind the cost, and its okay to have them here on the site.

I'm not meaning to rain on the parade, I just know sometimes there is some tension between the cartridge vs DE crowd, and we are a big enough forum both should be able to live here. :)

Excuse me? I didn't throw anyone under the bus. Infact, re-reading my post that you quoted, it is clear that I was only talking about my experience that I've had with cartridge razors, and also demonstrating my agreement with the OP. I was clearly wrong about you desrgl, take care.

Excuse me? I didn't throw anyone under the bus. Infact, re-reading my post that you quoted, it is clear that I was only talking about my experience that I've had with cartridge razors, and also demonstrating my agreement with the OP. I was clearly wrong about you desrgl, take care.
My cartridge experience matches yours. I've had issues with the cartridges clogging up, to a point where I attempted to clean then using a dental water jet. Don't try this at home folks, it gets the cartridge cleaned up alright but It can make a serious mess with hair flying all over the bathroom.
The cartridges always clogged up for me, terrible. Next I found out that they are only good for a few shaves with my hair, maybe a week if I'm lucky but either way, the blade deteriorates notably from shave one.
I always used to run out of cartridges when it was most inconvenient, only to find the stores i shopped at had outrageous prices for them, or they only had other models.
At multiple points I ended up switching to electric shavers that kind of worked well, sort of. Not so well in certain trouble spots like in the neck area. But again, the head lost sharpness fairly quickly and electric shavers can be a mess to clean as well. So i switcher to the Philips system with cleaning fluid cartridges, that stuff ended up costing the same as the wet shaving cartridges.
As always ymmv, but all these experiences made me dread shaving.
Now, after only a few months of DE razor shaving, I've come to truly enjoy the process in so many ways. The soaps, lathering, rotating razors and blades, figuring out how to get the best shave with the least passes and no irritation. It's great fun and it makes me sad that this wasn't something I tried many many years ago.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My cartridge experience matches yours. I've had issues with the cartridges clogging up, to a point where I attempted to clean then using a dental water jet. Don't try this at home folks, it gets the cartridge cleaned up alright but It can make a serious mess with hair flying all over the bathroom.
The cartridges always clogged up for me, terrible. Next I found out that they are only good for a few shaves with my hair, maybe a week if I'm lucky but either way, the blade deteriorates notably from shave one.
I always used to run out of cartridges when it was most inconvenient, only to find the stores i shopped at had outrageous prices for them, or they only had other models.
At multiple points I ended up switching to electric shavers that kind of worked well, sort of. Not so well in certain trouble spots like in the neck area. But again, the head lost sharpness fairly quickly and electric shavers can be a mess to clean as well. So i switcher to the Philips system with cleaning fluid cartridges, that stuff ended up costing the same as the wet shaving cartridges.
As always ymmv, but all these experiences made me dread shaving.
Now, after only a few months of DE razor shaving, I've come to truly enjoy the process in so many ways. The soaps, lathering, rotating razors and blades, figuring out how to get the best shave with the least passes and no irritation. It's great fun and it makes me sad that this wasn't something I tried many many years ago.

@cavediver I see you as a survival dude, kudos to you sir! I think we all have scars from lost battles during the shaving wars, they were brutal, they were bloody, many a knick or weeper, but oh my the razor burn. And just like your experience, I went to the dark side with electric shaving. 😱 I began with Norelco 2-blade rotary, useless for my hair. I then upgraded to Norelco 3-blade rotary, used that till the motor was dead. Never liked how rotary shavers couldn't give me a close shave.

The last electric shaver that I bought, was the Panasonic Arc 4, which as you may know, is a foil shaver. Now, that was able to provide me a closer shave, but certainly not a BBS shave! And you should have seen the extreme levels of razor burn on my neck, I looked like I had just came back from being tortured. lol 😢 I later discovered, using a non foaming shave gel on my face and neck, improved things greatly when using the Arc4 shaver.

Fast forward to now, I too am now a proud DE shaver. Life has notably improved for me! And its not just my experience with shaving in general that has gotten better with DE shaving. But, DE shaving has also lessened my depression, and made me mentally happier. Not to mention my face feels amazing after a DE shave as well.

Keep up the great work Cavediver, I believe in you! :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I didn't have problems shaving with my Gillette Fusion Power.... the vibration really did cut down on the surface tension. I sort of miss that... but not enough to return to cartridge shaving.

I just like the rituals better with wet shaving.... everything about it is fun. I don't know if I'd feel the same way if I still had to shave before work. I relax now... take my time.

We have a pretty long overseas trip coming up. I'm still working it out.. take one of my inexpensive brushes, some soap.. and the Gillette Fusion... or take the Lupo DE aluminum that I'm not crazy about? I'm not sure I feel comfortable taking my Claymore Evo to India.

Maybe I should have said nothing, or left it as a DM. I didn't say you threw anyone in particular under the bus, but it wasn't really personal experience with a razor so much as just trashing them. I know people do that from time to time, and some having something mentioned and some don't. Since we were both on a thread that pointed out that cartridge razor users are here too, I thought it might help to mention that it wouldn't hurt to turn it down a bit. It was a blanket statement about them.

"Not only do cartridge razors clog up constantly, cause they pack 5 itty bitty blades in extreme tight formation, but they also cause razor burn, know why? This is because it has 5 blades, that means that your face is being raked 5 times per pass".

I wasn't saying not to agree, or say you don't like them, if you didn't get that from my post, I'm sorry I didn't make myself clearer, again, maybe it'd have been better in DM, I thought I was giving it a light touch.

Um...we've been pleasant in the threads, and messaged once in DMs. I'm sorry that this one encounter has you feel that you were 'wrong' about me, but I can't stop you from taking it whichever way you want regardless of my intent.

My bad for wading in and being a busy body. I'm sure cartridge users are quite able to speak up for themselves if they wish.

Welcome. Spend your time checking things out, its pretty easy to jump in and want one of everything right away. (we call it 'acquisition disorder' :)

Thanks. I am not very much subject to acquisition disorder. Except when I am. :) Honestly, I will enjoy a variety of soaps and balsams and probably even a few brushes, doubt that I'd ever buy more than a few shavers. Few meaning less than 5.

Top Bottom