What's new

Green Tea

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think I am going to hit a few local tea houses and apply what I have learned.

The Teavana turns me off a bit. Am I alone on this?

They're horrible. Pushy, ill-informed, overpriced, and mediocre. The first clue is that 80% of their teas are flavored. Their tea gear is pretty good, though.

They're horrible. Pushy, ill-informed, overpriced, and mediocre. The first clue is that 80% of their teas are flavored. Their tea gear is pretty good, though.

I get a strange vibe even though I am a tea novice. There is a little local shop a few blocks from here near the campus. Going to check them out tomorrow to see if they carry some of the different varieties of green teas everyone has so graciously listed.

ouch

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding long jing, mao feng, and bi lo chun. The others may require some googe fu.

And for the love o' Pete, stay away from pu'er. That's a very deep rabbit hole.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding long jing, mao feng, and bi lo chun. The others may require some googe fu.

And for the love o' Pete, stay away from pu'er. That's a very deep rabbit hole.

xiè xiè nǐ de bāng zhù.

The Teavana turns me off a bit. Am I alone on this?
No, you are not alone. I don't even like going into that place, but my wife will usually walk in and I follow. As stated in a previous post, they are pushy and won't leave you alone. I hate walking into any store and being stalked, lol. I usually drink Oolong, but do like Green Tes also.

Well, ouch was correct. My little local tea house had the varieties mentioned above and a few others. I also picked up a steeping ball. Is that how you say it?

$roji.jpg$x5FogmibKsnD2R.jpg$PyOPbtiksJXVd5.jpg

Last edited:

ouch

Syracuse? If my kid goes there next year, she'll be there every day.

Syracuse? If my kid goes there next year, she'll be there every day.

Yes Sir. There is one right on the SU Hill, but this one is much better, about a mile down the hill in the heart of downtown. This is all new to me, but I got the feeling there was strong Asian tradition. I guess they have a tea ceremony on Fridays. Not exactly sure what that is.

You want hard data? I'll start taking pictures of some of my neighbors....and then I'll let you guess how old they are

These are my preferred for single cup tea brewing. The FORLIFE basket with lid.
$image.jpg

Easy to use stainless steel clamshell type with one hand

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 37

Legion

Staff member
I read (probably on the internet, so I know it is true) that with green tea it is better not to use those round type steepers because they don't allow the leaves to open up properly.

I use cut whole leaf tea in the little steepers. But for the larger leaf and other quality Japanese teas, we have several Japanese teapots.

I read (probably on the internet, so I know it is true) that with green tea it is better not to use those round type steepers because they don't allow the leaves to open up properly.

Interesting. I would be interested in alternative techniques. I honestly know very little about tea.

I use cut whole leaf tea in the little steepers. But for the larger leaf and other quality Japanese teas, we have several Japanese teapots.

I am looking at some pots as of late as recommended by 'the tea lady'. What is the formal name for the 'tea lady".

Tearista? :laugh:

The lovely lady appears to be Japanese. But, a formal name for tea host, I don't think there is one in that culture. And formality would be inappropriate anyway. Otherwise she would be wearing a Kimono.

Top Bottom