What's new

Greed And Joe Torre

Being a sports fan and in particular a loyal Yankee fan for well over 55 years I am highly insulted about the up coming book co-written by Joe Torre. Talking about players and management while all along giving the perception of a "nice" guy. Anything to make a buck but I think in the long run its going to back fire on him. Remember he still manages the Los Angeles Dodgers. I wonder how ownership feels about it. But even more telling is how are the ball players on that team going to react.

Some people are never satisfied with their lives no matter how good its going.
Its all about them:mad3:

Being a sports fan and in particular a loyal Yankee fan for well over 55 years I am highly insulted about the up coming book co-written by Joe Torre. Talking about players and management while all along giving the perception of a "nice" guy. Anything to make a buck but I think in the long run its going to back fire on him. Remember he still manages the Los Angeles Dodgers. I wonder how ownership feels about it. But even more telling is how are the ball players on that team going to react.

Who, Steinbrenner or Torre? :wink:

Yankee fan here, as well, but my take is a bit different. IMO, Joe was mishandled by Cashman and the Steinbrenners. He performed his job well considering the revolving door of egos that made their way through the door. Sure they had a dry spell of championships but they still played good ball under Torre and they made the playoffs, too. He was a better manager than he was treated by the Yankees. Good for him to go to LA (the hated Dodgers) and do well.

I do agree with you that his current management might not look so highly upon this effort. He probably should have waited until he stepped away from ball before releasing it.

I would be willing to bet that no one that he works for or plays for him or has in the past will read this book. I would also wager that there will be two types of people reading this book: diehard Yankees/baseball fans, and PA's that have to get soundbytes for anchors on sports "news" programs. No harm done except for during a slow sports news cycle.

As a die-hard Yankees fan, I am not happy about the book. I think Torre is burning some bridges here. I know that when he left, management could have handled the situation better. They knew that they didn't want him anymore after the '07 season, and they should have told him " Joe, we appreciate everything that you've done here, but we're ready to move in a different direction" instead of that lame contract offer that they knew he was going to turn down anyway. That being said, he didn't need to write this book and I think that the organization is going to be mad at him for a long time. I would hope that Joe would want to be invited back to old-timers day or some other event that remembers those championship teams that he managed, but I have a funny feeling that we wont see him back any of those types of events at Yankee stadium for a long time.
Usually, players and managers that do as well as he did for the Yankees get their numbers retired, maybe their face in monument park, but he just threw all of that in the garbage with this book I think.

From what I understand theres some stuff on Arod there as well. The players had some name they called him, I don't think he liked it either. And something about a fascination he developed with Jeter. Being Yankee fan in Red Sox nation, I'm sure I wont hear the end of the gay-rod jokes including him and Jeter for a long time now.

Thanks for your comments. IMHO Joe Torre was a phoney. All those years pretending he was concerned when it was all about the money. I watched him many times seating on the bench like a zombie wishing he was somewhere else but never the less collecting his over paid salary.

Try doing that at your own job and see what happens.

OK back to shaving and RAD:001_rolle

Thanks for your comments. IMHO Joe Torre was a phoney. All those years pretending he was concerned when it was all about the money. I watched him many times seating on the bench like a zombie wishing he was somewhere else but never the less collecting his over paid salary.

Pro sports is all about the money.

I'm not going to say that Joe was a phony, but he was definitely living off his laurels his last few years in the Bronx. In particular, his mishandling of the bullpen drove me up the wall. The "Joba Rules" that he was forced to abide by were the prime example of his weakness for riding one horse until it dropped (see Scott Proctor). It was time for him to go, but I wish that a more dignified departure could have been managed. I mean, come on, four rings in five years! Times were good for us Yankee fans, and they will be again this year! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

The Yankees are one of the most ridiculous organizations in professional sports. The drama off the field hinders them on the field and it starts from the top down. As if the Steinbrenner ego wasn't big enough, there's this mandate from Hank that if there's a book written about the New York Yankees, it has to be 100% positive. It's no wonder the Yankees are such a "love 'em or hate 'em" team.

The Yankees are one of the most ridiculous organizations in professional sports. The drama off the field hinders them on the field and it starts from the top down. As if the Steinbrenner ego wasn't big enough, there's this mandate from Hank that if there's a book written about the New York Yankees, it has to be 100% positive. It's no wonder the Yankees are such a "love 'em or hate 'em" team.

Maybe. But they're the most valuable and profitable sports franchise in the US, if not the world. Also, they have won six World Series rings under Steinbrenner. That's more than some entire divisions have won in that time.

I played baseball professionally and in college, and I can tell you that (whether true or not) this post can't be serious. The job of managing a baseball team is a mind-numbing endeavor. You can't do anything to truly change the outcome of a game except for putting your players in the best position to be successful. What would you have him do? Get up and yell? Throw a Pinella-type fit every time something doesn't go his way?

Sports Illustrated has an interesting piece on the way everything ended in NY for Torre. He was practically begging to stay, but they went in another direction.

This is why I can't talk baseball with non-baseball guys.

Maybe. But they're the most valuable and profitable sports franchise in the US, if not the world. Also, they have won six World Series rings under Steinbrenner. That's more than some entire divisions have won in that time.

If I'm not mistaken, the Washington Redskins are the most "valuable" sports franchise. In fact according to Forbes, the Yankees are about the 15th or 16th most valuable sports franchise (from memory)... BTW all the teams ranked before them are NFL teams with the Cowboys and Texans rounding out top 3.

Top Bottom