What's new

Greed And Joe Torre

If I'm not mistaken, the Washington Redskins are the most "valuable" sports franchise. In fact according to Forbes, the Yankees are about the 15th or 16th most valuable sports franchise (from memory)... BTW all the teams ranked before them are NFL teams with the Cowboys and Texans rounding out top 3.

Not quite. Yanks are fifth on the list, behind Man. United, Cowboys, Redskins and Patriots.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/13/nfl-cowboys-yankees-biz-media-cx_tvr_0113values.html

If I'm not mistaken, the Washington Redskins are the most "valuable" sports franchise. In fact according to Forbes, the Yankees are about the 15th or 16th most valuable sports franchise (from memory)... BTW all the teams ranked before them are NFL teams with the Cowboys and Texans rounding out top 3.

Forbes has the NYY ranked fifth. However, that's with modest estimates on revenue from the new Yankee Stadium due to the "tight economy." Also, I forgot that the new Cowboys stadium is projected to make more than $369M in revenue. Whoa.

EDIT: Mr. Draper beat me to it.

Last edited:
I played baseball professionally and in college, and I can tell you that (whether true or not) this post can't be serious. The job of managing a baseball team is a mind-numbing endeavor. You can't do anything to truly change the outcome of a game except for putting your players in the best position to be successful. What would you have him do? Get up and yell? Throw a Pinella-type fit every time something doesn't go his way?

Sports Illustrated has an interesting piece on the way everything ended in NY for Torre. He was practically begging to stay, but they went in another direction.

This is why I can't talk baseball with non-baseball guys.

I agree with most of your points, however the Sports Illustrated "piece" was actually an excerpt from Torre's book...so not exactly "balanced" journalism. And it was the book that the OP was referring to in post #1

We got off the subject of Joe Torre and greed but now that you mentioned which teams are the most valuable it might be some NFL teams since the biggest money is NFL.

But the current dumbest team and the owner who runs it is Jerry Jones of Dallas. Talk about stupidity he holds the record. This team is in deep trouble.

"Poach?" Seems to me the Sox roster is well-stocked with players you've poached from other teams. Beckett, Dice-K, Lowell - to just name a few.

Those players came here to be part of a team, a nation and a World Series. A few prima donnas or some who exhibited babyish behavior had no option but to leave. :tongue:

We got off the subject of Joe Torre and greed but now that you mentioned which teams are the most valuable it might be some NFL teams since the biggest money is NFL.

But the current dumbest team and the owner who runs it is Jerry Jones of Dallas. Talk about stupidity he holds the record. This team is in deep trouble.

Ever watch the Redskins play?

I agree with most of your points, however the Sports Illustrated "piece" was actually an excerpt from Torre's book...so not exactly "balanced" journalism. And it was the book that the OP was referring to in post #1

The guy that I was quoting was making judgments about Torres motivations and being a phony. Instead of trying to make personal judgments about a persons motivations, I thought he might be interested in taking a look at Joe's side of the issue. So the point is the unbiased piece is much more relevant than anything that any of us have to say on the issue.

If I had an issue with what the 1st post said, I would have quoted that. Even though, I do find it particularly absurd to expect celebrities to act in a way other than we all act ourselves... In our best interests. If Joe felt wronged by the Yankees and was hurt by the fans thinking that he didn't give everything that he possibly could, he should write the book. If you or I thought we could write a book that would pay us multiple millions, we would. Get off the greed deal.

The long and short of it is that we shouldn't be making personal judgments about a person's motivations or what's in their heart without any more than an outsiders perspective... That's all I'm saying

Last edited:
Top Bottom