What's new

Great Performaing Budget Shave Creams

My best badget shaving creams are:
Five Fives Shaving Cream Extra Menthol.jpg

- Palmolive Cool from Romania
- Godrej Cool menthol
- Five fives from Egypt.

I picked up a tube of Avene in the local pharmacy when we were in France last month - about EUR5 and it is superb. Pity the air ticket is in 4 figs otherwise I would be back next week.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Castle Forbes, 200ml, 6.8 oz for $30 at most EU vendors, and it’s frequently on sale cheaper. You can easily shave with 1/2 g (26mm brushes, maybe knot, pun intended) which makes your daily shave cost about 8 cents, and you’ll get a year out of the tub. Same for MdC, but of course the price of admission is higher. CF also performs very well, top tier, not budget performance.

Any bargains or artisans that you can shave for a year for $30? A few maybe, but not many, and most likely not CF performance.

I think the proraso creams are great and you can find them in your local Marshall’s or Burlington coat factory for $4.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see this thread resurrected.

Marco's post reminded me of how good Proraso is. Playing around with a few different menthol shave creams during the dog days of July, I realized that I don't really like strong menthol creams and soaps. Yet when I went back to my C.O. Bigelow branded Proraso, not only was the eucalyptus menthol scent enjoyable, but the performance was very good.

Nice to see this thread resurrected.

Marco's post reminded me of how good Proraso is. Playing around with a few different menthol shave creams during the dog days of July, I realized that I don't really like strong menthol creams and soaps. Yet when I went back to my C.O. Bigelow branded Proraso, not only was the eucalyptus menthol scent enjoyable, but the performance was very good.

A bit off topic- opened a block of the Valobra menthol brick last night and the first thing that struck me was the scent. I’ve now come to realize that the slightly medicinal scent of eucalyptus, camphor or menthol is probably one of my favourites in a shaving soap/cream.

Proraso for $4.99 is about as "great performing budget" as you can get. If I am ever in Marshall's or TJ Maxx I always look and just grab what I can. That will need to slow down as I realized I have started a small stock pile of creams and even found some blue shave balm this last weekend.

Proraso for $4.99 is about as "great performing budget" as you can get. If I am ever in Marshall's or TJ Maxx I always look and just grab what I can. That will need to slow down as I realized I have started a small stock pile of creams and even found some blue shave balm this last weekend.

Totally agree . I picked up about 7 tubes and 6 tubs of red/green over the last month so I’m set for quite a while .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used many shave creams ranging from D.R. Harris and Truefitt and Hill for my high end to economically priced Super-Max, Arko Cream, Bulgarian Figaro and Barbon. In the middle of my shave creams there are what I call "Yeoman Creams" the good, effective - but not great creams such as Proraso, or Palmolive.

But I"m interested in some real Gems that have popped up at in the Budget. Shaving creams that may or may not have terrific scents, but leap to the top with their sheer great performance. The criteria for me of an exceptional performing budget cream is that it's very inexpensive (all purchased around $5 or less) and makes me think at least once as I shave, or after, "why am I using anything else other than this"?

My great budget performers are:

Godrej - (any scent) - I've been reaching for Godrej with it's added lanolin for a few years, at first oddly enough when winter weather is at it's worst. Year round it provides great slickness, cushion and leaves my face feeling great afterwoods, but when the temperature is dipping below zero and the wind is blowing the snow sideways, I know that after shaving with Godrej, my face is going to be more moisturized as well as almost anything else I shave with (I'm thinking Soap Commander, Mystic Waters and Soap Commander). I'm amazed that a shave cream manufactured in a hot climate, India, protects my face so well during winter's worst.

Dettol - (either of both scents available) - Possibly slightly more slick than Godrej, without the post shave benefits of the lanolin. Another really terrific shave cream from India.

Speick - Ot move to another continent - Europe. The inexpensive Speick does everything a shave cream should do and does it very well. I'd been loving Speick Shave sticks for years, finding them to be top performers, but when I picked up the shave cream at first I was blown away by the unique scent (slightly different and stronger scented than the Shave Stick). When I built my first lather and started my first razor pass, I was equally impressed with Speick's peformance as it's scent. (Do yourself a favor and spring for Speick's AS - it too has a terrific scent equally matched by skin healing ingredients).

NOS Coate's Shave Cream - Coate's Shave creams disappeared from the market shortly after the manufacturer went out of business in 2007. Yet a few years ago a long time wet shaver found a stockpile of 50 gram travel tubes in six different scents that had been well stored in a climate controlled warehouse. He snapped up this old stock and began selling them at rock bottom prices. They come in six traditional scents, as well as being a part of wet shaving history are also terrific performers.

Honorable Mentions:

Figaro and Barbon -
These are Bulgarian shave creams available on Ebay, but purchased from now closed Shave-a-Buck. and then stocked up on as Shave-A-Buck was winding down. Unique woodsy scents with top performance. Really terrific shave creams. I place these two creams in the Honorable Mention category because even though they are available on the bay - their higher price EBay price, bumps them up into the Yeoman category.

Real Shaving Co. Moisturizing shave cream - Available at one time at Rite Aid, this Creighton retail brand uses the same cream base as some of the English luxury scented shave creams, but is scented with simple Tea Tree. A slick rich, thick lather come easy. I place Real Shaving Co. Moisturizing shave cream in the Honorable Mention category because it's no longer available at Rite Aid for $5.

What top performing budget shave creams have I missed?
Don't forget Arko and Palmolive shaving creams :biggrin1:

Top Bottom