What's new

Great Performaing Budget Shave Creams

I've used many shave creams ranging from D.R. Harris and Truefitt and Hill for my high end to economically priced Super-Max, Arko Cream, Bulgarian Figaro and Barbon. In the middle of my shave creams there are what I call "Yeoman Creams" the good, effective - but not great creams such as Proraso, or Palmolive.

But I"m interested in some real Gems that have popped up at in the Budget. Shaving creams that may or may not have terrific scents, but leap to the top with their sheer great performance. The criteria for me of an exceptional performing budget cream is that it's very inexpensive (all purchased around $5 or less) and makes me think at least once as I shave, or after, "why am I using anything else other than this"?

My great budget performers are:

Godrej - (any scent) - I've been reaching for Godrej with it's added lanolin for a few years, at first oddly enough when winter weather is at it's worst. Year round it provides great slickness, cushion and leaves my face feeling great afterwoods, but when the temperature is dipping below zero and the wind is blowing the snow sideways, I know that after shaving with Godrej, my face is going to be more moisturized as well as almost anything else I shave with (I'm thinking Soap Commander, Mystic Waters and Soap Commander). I'm amazed that a shave cream manufactured in a hot climate, India, protects my face so well during winter's worst.

Dettol - (either of both scents available) - Possibly slightly more slick than Godrej, without the post shave benefits of the lanolin. Another really terrific shave cream from India.

Speick - Ot move to another continent - Europe. The inexpensive Speick does everything a shave cream should do and does it very well. I'd been loving Speick Shave sticks for years, finding them to be top performers, but when I picked up the shave cream at first I was blown away by the unique scent (slightly different and stronger scented than the Shave Stick). When I built my first lather and started my first razor pass, I was equally impressed with Speick's peformance as it's scent. (Do yourself a favor and spring for Speick's AS - it too has a terrific scent equally matched by skin healing ingredients).

NOS Coate's Shave Cream - Coate's Shave creams disappeared from the market shortly after the manufacturer went out of business in 2007. Yet a few years ago a long time wet shaver found a stockpile of 50 gram travel tubes in six different scents that had been well stored in a climate controlled warehouse. He snapped up this old stock and began selling them at rock bottom prices. They come in six traditional scents, as well as being a part of wet shaving history are also terrific performers.

Honorable Mentions:

Figaro and Barbon - These are Bulgarian shave creams available on Ebay, but purchased from now closed Shave-a-Buck. and then stocked up on as Shave-A-Buck was winding down. Unique woodsy scents with top performance. Really terrific shave creams. I place these two creams in the Honorable Mention category because even though they are available on the bay - their higher price EBay price, bumps them up into the Yeoman category.

Real Shaving Co. Moisturizing shave cream - Available at one time at Rite Aid, this Creighton retail brand uses the same cream base as some of the English luxury scented shave creams, but is scented with simple Tea Tree. A slick rich, thick lather come easy. I place Real Shaving Co. Moisturizing shave cream in the Honorable Mention category because it's no longer available at Rite Aid for $5.

What top performing budget shave creams have I missed?

I've used Nivea Sensitive, but not the other iterations of Nevea. La Toja has been on my list for awhile, perhaps I'll pick it in the fall (i'm reluctant to ship shave cream in the summer heat).

The only one that I've used off of that list is Speick, and it is great. +1 on the AS as well. It never fails to make my face feel amazing.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Speick, Nivea, Palmolive and Figaro are great creams and they are as good - or better - than many of the big name creams. I always have a tube of Speick, Nivea and Palmolive around.

+1 on Speick, Nivea, and TRSC ... they are great performers and top-notch bargains.

Burt's Bees shaving cream doesn't get a lot of love around B&B, but its one of my favorites for warm weather ... nice citrus scent, all natural ingredients, whisker and skin softening to handle any type of beard, and its dirt cheap and easy to find in B&M stores.

The thing that most people complain about is that it doesn't lather. Its not supposed to, that's why. The lack of volumes of white foam doesn't prevent it from giving me a great shave every time.

The above also applies to Cremo ... but I don't use that anymore because I find its aroma dispeasing. It makes a great pre-shave or SuperLather component, though.

I might be alone in this, but I love the Derby tube cream. I have the Lavender, and it's great. Slick, smells great, good cushion. It's good stuff.

I just finished a tube of Godrej and found it to be a great value as well.

Now I'm on a tube of Speak and like a lot as well.

Gotten great shaves with kiss my face.

Of all the tuned creams I've tried Tabac seemed to give me the best shaves.

I'm not a huge fan of Proraso products on the whole, but the Blue cream (available in tube only) is a class act. It performs really well, and leaves my face supple and moisturised.

It's probably a bit above your $5 target in our countries, but it's only about $2 in Italy. I'm off there in a few weeks and will be stocking up!

Of the ones I have tried, Arko Regular, Arko Cool, C.O. Bigelow, India Old Spice. I've mixed a dab of the Arko creams with more expensive ones like TOBS. The lather is just as rich, and the expensive stock lasts a little longer.

I've only tried three creams:
1. Proraso Blue. Solid performer, and can be had quite cheaply these days on the bay.
2. Nivea Sensitive shaving cream. Sadly discontinued, right as I found it. Works great, was carried by local grocery store, and was around $3.50.
3. Old Spice Classic (new Indian version). Ok. Extremely mild scent, decent lather.

I might be alone in this, but I love the Derby tube cream. I have the Lavender, and it's great. Slick, smells great, good cushion. It's good stuff.

I've had a few good shaves with the Lemon. I do find it easy to add too much water, and then it doesn't preform well. It happens to make excellent superlather with an Arko stick, and the smell of Arko stick + Derby lemon is more pleasant than either of them separately. Still, it is a great performer for the price. I've seen 12 100ml tubes for around $15 shipped. Other than as part of a superlather, it doesn't make me think "why am I using anything else other than this?".

Now I'm on a tube of Speak and like a lot as well.

Gotten great shaves with kiss my face.

I'd scent my house with Speick cream. It is one of those products that makes me open up the tube just to smell it. The A/S is on the top of my wishlist. I find very good, but I don't have an inexpensive source to purchase it at. Seems to run around $6.50 plus shipping (or $7.50 shipped) for a 2.5oz tube (about 75ml). Considering that everything else seems to come in 100 or 150ml tubes, Speick is actually quite expensive to me.

Kiss My Face is great. Unpopular scents, like grapefruit, can be purchased on-line for as low as $4.50/325ml. I've seen it at retail in unscented and mint for $7/325ml. The pump bottle is very convenient for face lathering, and the performance is very good. The unscented is also great for making superlathers or uberlathers if you like that sort of thing. It is difficult to find a less expensive cream for the price.

I've only tried three creams:
1. Proraso Blue. Solid performer, and can be had quite cheaply these days on the bay.
Lots of bay sellers have some of the old packaging tubes in various colors on sale for around $6-7. $7/150ml is a fair price for a great product.

The only thing that really holds a candle to KMF in price per ml is Proraso Green in the professional 500ml packaging. I've seen it for around $20. It is a little more expensive, but I do like the menthol and the scent more.

Last edited:
Great posts.

1. I've been intrigued with Derby creams, particularly when I noticed that Paul H seems to use Derby Lemon in many of his videos.
  2. I too liked Kiss My Face - Lavender edition, but haven't reached for it. (My wife uses KMF Lavender for her legs).
  3. I need to revisit Arko creams.

IMO, best budget creams are Proraso and Coates.
Great performance, super scents.
Don't forget, often TOBS and Trumpers creams go on sale at nearly 50% off, so you can watch for those as well.

$proraso red green blue.jpg

$henckels coates kent lavender april 8 2014.jpg

Barbasol Skin Conditioner with lanolin. Canned goo but beats cheap crap easily. Dries out your face less than the Nivea Sensitive Skin in the tube, Proraso, Arko, Van der Hagen, and the thankfully hard to find now Williams Mug.

Shaving creams are very convenient stuffs.
My DR HARRIS cream almost ran out, and I am hesitating between another DR HARRIS or other budget creams.
Do DR HARRIS cream outperform these budget ones?
Thanks a lot.

Via Men. about $2 a tube of 100ml and a nice slick lather. Only takes a half-snurdle so it lasts a long time.$VIA Cream.jpg

Top Bottom